Porthos

Ahsoka Live Action Series | Disney Plus | August 23

33 minutes ago, Potiki said:

Love the start of this episode so far. 

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

That could have been exceedingly derivative.  And I suppose it was.  But I like how it ended on the "Dark Side is a quick hit — but it can lead to failure all too easily" allusion. 

Not often we see that side of Jedi Training in these sorts of things, but it was fairly appropriate, I felt.

As for the episode itself, shame it was as short as it was, but it continues to build on the right things.  Included in that is Ahsoka warming up/humanizing a bit.

As for this:

14 minutes ago, Porthos said:

OH FUCK YEAH!!!!

Unapologetically loved that scene.

Spoiler

GIMME *ALL* THE JEDI FIGHTING IN SPACE SCENES!

(like it was ripped right out of TCW, really. :lol: )

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2
  • Heart 1

Bit of a cliffhanger ending but another solid episode, I feel like this episode was answering a lot of questions that were set up in Rebels, Mando Season 3 and the 2 episodes last week while providing some entertaining action and nice character interactions. 

Spoiler

On top of the Jedi training another great dog fight sequence from Star Wars television, similar to the pirate fight in Mando last season which I also enjoyed. Ahsoka using the sabers in space on top of the ship while they are dogfighting was so over the top but I loved it lol. 

• Like 1

The episode is good with one really fantastic action sequence but paced a little weird, definitely could have used more runtime to let the character interactions breathe. I am hoping that Filoni really pays off all this table setting though. Right now it's not really hitting for me the way Rebels did.

Edited by Menor the Destroyer
  • Like 1

One other thing I liked is how it showed Ahsoka and Sabine acting as a team.  One might be more experienced than the other and one might be a little rusty from lack of being in action recently.  But both are more than capable fighters on their own and I like how it showed them helping and following each other's leads.

It's a tricky balance to show Sabine as Not as Experienced as Ahsoka for all the folks out there who haven't seen Rebels, and it'd be all too easy to make her a wet behind the ears type (I was a little worried about that when I saw the earlier clip released today), but they mostly shied away from that.  Did tip toe a little too much into those waters for my comfort, but all in all, glad they avoided most of those types of cliches and showed Sabine as the capable warrior she is.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Porthos said:

One other thing I liked is how it showed Ahsoka and Sabine acting as a team.  One might be more experienced than the other and one might be a little rusty from lack of being in action recently.  But both are more than capable fighters on their own and I like how it showed them helping and following each other's leads.

It's a tricky balance to show Sabine as Not as Experienced as Ahsoka for all the folks out there who haven't seen Rebels, and it'd be all too easy to make her a wet behind the ears type (I was a little worried about that when I saw the earlier clip released today), but they mostly shied away from that.  Did tip toe a little too much into those waters for my comfort, but all in all, glad they avoided most of those types of cliches and showed Sabine as the capable warrior she is.

The one thing about the training scene that felt off was that part of it felt like a retread of Kanan teaching Sabine to use the Darksaber

2 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

The one thing about the training scene that felt off was that part of it felt like a retread of Kanan teaching Sabine to use the Darksaber

I dislike how the show seems to be really avoiding mentions of Kanan, which I guess is to avoid throwing another unfamiliar name at those who didn't watch Rebels...but as someone who did it just bugs me when he really should be mentioned in a couple scenes in this episode.

Definitely better than the first two for me, although I’d still like Ahsoka herself to warm up a bit, so far for me she’s the weakest part of the show which isn’t great when it’s her show (I did like her main action scene though, but just being “cool” isn’t enough). Still, I did like that episode more so I’ll stick with it. I’m intrigued to see where it goes.

• Like 2

Enjoyed this a little more than 2.

Good

Yeah it was very derivative but Good to see Disney Lucasfilm taking Jedi training seriously for once and not ignoring it or  treating it as just convenience to move the plot forward.

Pacing and editing was better

Direction was good . Steph green is pretty solid . He directed episode 2 of BOBF one of the few good episodes of that show and the previous ahsoka episode .

Hyperspace whales yeeeh.

Action was pretty good.

Sabine is the emotional character of the show . Just loved seeing the team work together . First 2 episodes didn't give us much in the way of character interactions.

Mixed

Ahsoka is just not working for me .quite wooden in scenes and her lines during the training session just feel like she was reading lines rather than acting.

Ashoka space scene would probably work well in animation but in live action it's kind of goofy and made villians look like idiots .

Needed way more baylan.

Bad

Hera's plotline didn't work at all. New republic just sucks and it just pains me after how good Mon mothma was in andor , she is flat and the republic under her is just kind of incompetent   but the ST tied their hands oh well.

Tbf Hera character was also not convincing enough. Was fine with her in episode 2 but think I'm starting to feel a little more critical of her characterisation esp as a general.

No mention of kanan or zeeb is a little strange to me.

Edited by Liiviig 1998

1 hour ago, Ozymandias said:

Lol how many characters is that now in these shows that have just shrugged off a lightsabre through the chest or gut? 3?

Poor Qui Gon rolling over in his grave

Don't read cosmicbook.news too much. The site is not good for mental health.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Porthos said:

On top of this, you have that moment where Ahsoka realizes she needs to start listening to Sabine and it changes their dynamic for the rest of the episode. A really nice character moment. This show continues to be such a joy so far and I'm excited to see where Filoni is taking all of this. I especially appreciate that we're seeing someone training in the force who is not gifted. Star Wars is filled with so many prodigy characters that it's a nice change of pace to see this process play out with someone who doesn't start picking it all up within five minutes. It's especially gratifying to see Ahsoka, after all of her experiences, throwing out the jedi dogma of who is worthy of being trained.

• Like 3

Internet having fun speculating who "Marrok" really is.

The one that seems like it actually might hold a little water is the one connected to Sam Witwer being credited as an "Additional Voice" and his original role in the Star Wars EU

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 4815162342 said:

The one that seems like it actually might hold a little water is the one connected to Sam Witwer being credited as an "Additional Voice" and his original role in the Star Wars EU

I learned my lesson about getting over my skis in the Rings of Power debacle.  So for now, I'm keeping shtum about the whole thing and will just wait and see how it plays out.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 4815162342 said:

Starkiller? Isn't he dead?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I learned my lesson about getting over my skis in the Rings of Power debacle.  So for now, I'm keeping shtum about the whole thing and will just wait and see how it plays out.

Very fair, especially since Rings of Power went with the dumbest possible option.

6 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

Starkiller? Isn't he dead?

No, because technically he's never existed because the EU hasn't been canon in over a decade.

Filoni is on record saying he considered making a version of Starkiller appear in the Rebels show but held back because h couldn't quite make it work.

• Like 2