Knights of Ren

The Acolyte: High Republic SW Disney+ Show, June 4th

10 hours ago, WorkingonaName said:

Star Wars was at its best when it was only 6 movies. 

Star Wars was never “only” six movies, though. It was always a huge juggernaut of a franchise with a massive expanded universe and a ridiculous amount of merchandise, even under George Lucas

12 hours ago, YM! said:

Looking at Amandla Sternberg comment sections on Instagram and to be honest if you’re a POC or a woman, I honestly don’t get the appeal in joining the Star Wars franchise. Disney nor Lucasfilm will not protect you from the harassment. 

I mean, it's certainly not their fault that a bunch of insecure clowns who completely lack self-awareness can't help being trash and are oblivious to the fact that their behavior says more about them than it does about the people who make these projects. Why should the actors be the ones robbed of a potentially exciting opportunity? I say let the fools continue to call themselves out, they clearly have no shame revealing their true nature.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, WittyUsername said:

Star Wars was never “only” six movies, though. It was always a huge juggernaut of a franchise with a massive expanded universe and a ridiculous amount of merchandise, even under George Lucas

There was obviously always merch, games, comics etc., but the core of the franchise was always those 6 movies. Pumping out product on Disney+ has permanently lowered the brands value, younger gens don't care about Star Wars anymore.

• Heart 1
  • Thanks 1

Issue is even if you ignore the haters and racists, the show had poor ratings after first few episodes and a negative reception from most of the star wars fanbase.

You cant justify 200 million dollar shows pleasing a slim portion of your fanbase.

2 hours ago, Torontofan said:

Issue is even if you ignore the haters and racists, the show had poor ratings after first few episodes and a negative reception from most of the star wars fanbase.

You cant justify 200 million dollar shows pleasing a slim portion of your fanbase.

How can you "please" your fan base if the actors of the show keep talking shit in interviews, taunting the large percentage of the audience and saying non-sense like "Anakin destroyed the death star"?.

And then blaming everyone but themselves for their big failure. 

You  can see from miles away this show had 0 passion and interest from the people involved, it was pure corporate greed with none understanding on what made the franchise big in the first place.

Edited by Belakor

4 minutes ago, Belakor said:

How can you "please" your fan base if the actors of the show keep talking shit in interviews, taunting the large percentage of the audience and saying non-sense like "Anakin destroyed the death star"?.

And then blaming everyone but themselves for their big failure. 

You  can see from miles away this show had 0 passion and interest from the people involved, it was pure corporate greed with none understanding on what made the franchise big in the first place.

Leslie Hedland played the star wars ttrpgs and included her PC in the show. She clearly was interested. 

https://www.destructoid.com/the-acolyte-how-the-series-was-inspired-by-star-wars-games/

• Like 2

This show didn't work, but the idea that the cast and crew that worked on it deserve to be harassed is complete crap. The Star Wars fandom has an ugly history of this that dates at least back to The Phantom Menace and in that case one of the victims was a literal child. It's not cute and we shouldn't have to put up with it.

• Like 9

12 hours ago, Bob Train said:

There was obviously always merch, games, comics etc., but the core of the franchise was always those 6 movies. Pumping out product on Disney+ has permanently lowered the brands value, younger gens don't care about Star Wars anymore.

While I understand your general point, I think this is an odd thing to say. Would they have cared about Star Wars at all if they had stopped at the 6th movie, which came out 20 years ago?

My sole concern is that the takeaway Disney and Lucasfilm will have is "don't expand beyond the Skywalker Saga" when that's clearly not the reason why the show failed.

The characters, writing, and story ended up not engaging audiences, not the setting itself.

The show similar to many short season shows had the 8-hour movie problem where it was designed as a grand narrative and then broken into 8 awkwardly structured and paced parts

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

My sole concern is that the takeaway Disney and Lucasfilm will have is "don't expand beyond the Skywalker Saga" when that's clearly not the reason why the show failed.

The characters, writing, and story ended up not engaging audiences, not the setting itself.

The show similar to many short season shows had the 8-hour movie problem where it was designed as a grand narrative and then broken into 8 awkwardly structured and paced parts

This, all of this.

I'm hoping they explore this era in the animation department at least, and I hope that if they continue making live action shows they will learn from Disney's experience with Daredevil and start structuring them like actual TV shows.

32 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

Unfortunately I think there's a >80% chance that this is exactly the lesson Disney takes away. Can't do anything outside of 30 BBY - 30 ABY or whatever the timeline is of the main films.

3 hours ago, Torontofan said:

200m could buy 5 Dredd sequels

• Like 1

Disney has one major problem with Star Wars since at least The Rise of Skywalker: A ton of Star War fans (for example, including me) think that Star Wars was just way better before Disney took over. The Sequel trilogy started strong with TFA, became incredibly divisive with TLJ and then became a meme with Rise of Skywalker (SOMEHOW PALPATINE IS BACK)

And the shows made it worse. Mandalorian Season 1 was amazing, Season was mostly good with an epic finale, but Season 3 tanked its momentum. The Boba Fett show was honestly trash (that insanely bad chase scene ...), the Obi-Wan show was just kind of ... there ... and even though Andor was great, Ahsoka was just meh. Cant comment personally on Acolyte as i havent seen it but its reception generally is obviously really bad and no, i dont believe that ALL people who dislike it are right-wing trolls, thats just a convenient excuse for the shows apparent failings.

I had very high hopes in the time when TFA came out. I think i was never so excited to be a Star Wars fan like back then. But Disney fumbled it. They had a golden cash cow and somehow forgot that in order to milk it, making consistently quality products must come first.

I will never say that the prequels are "good" movies (except for Revenge of the Sith), but now, i can appreciate them much more than 10 years ago. They "feel" like Star Wars to me when i watch them. When i watch the new stuff now, i just get sad.

All this rant here is just my opinion of course, if you enjoy the new Star Wars stuff then more power to you.

• Like 2

I wonder how the Mandalorian movie is going to fare at the box office because as of now I would definitely bet on a smaller total than Solo. The failure of The Marvels should've made it clear to everyone that no one is here for TV show/movie crossovers that require the viewer to do homework (and sign up for a Disney+ subscription). Wouldn't be surprised if that played a factor in WB's decision to cancel plans for a pair of spin-off shows in the same universe as The Batman as well.