Eric is Anxious

Beau is Afraid | April 21, 2023 | A24 | Ari Aster directs. Joaquin stars

This sort of reminds me of Luca Guadagnino's Suspiria: a fairly divisive, very long director-driven project that has absolutely no mainstream appeal of any kind. Suspect the box office returns will be fairly similar to the $2.5M that made, maybe slightly more if A24 is appeal to work some minor magic with it.

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

This sort of reminds me of Luca Guadagnino's Suspiria: a fairly divisive, very long director-driven project that has absolutely no mainstream appeal of any kind. Suspect the box office returns will be fairly similar to the $2.5M that made, maybe slightly more if A24 is appeal to work some minor magic with it.

suspiria didn't have the blockbuster star of a billion dollar movie though

Honestly watching movies with crowds that hate the movie can be kinda fun. I'm pretty sure I was the only person in my theater who liked Malignant (including my friends). I was pretty drunk so watching everyone get mad at the movie was fun.

This was pretty boring. Felt like one of those movies where each scene is a random absurdist skit with a very loose plot tying it all together, but not funny. Not provocative or crazy enough to keep me interested in a pure "woah thats fucked up" kind of way. 

The only part I liked was at the start where Aster captures anxiety and paranoia in a way where I actually could see myself (although obviously overexaggerated here).

• Like 2

Liked the first hour a lot, hated the middle, absolutely adored the final hour to a point i just have to ignore the middle and be happy

8/10 i think

I can see why most people seems to be hating it tho, i only liked it because i really love unsettling and confusing experiences, it always a strangely fun feeling to me, so the ridiculous plotless random and messy final hour just ended up being what i was looking for anyway, but it does seems like a movie Aster made for himself and for people who just like to watch a mess unfold or love the challenge of trying to find sense in something that doesn´t have, so a portion of cinephiles probably will like it a lot even if they´re not that many, Aster will be fine this is not a career killer

I would argue the movie does have a strong tie in themes in it´s entire lengh tho, even if the plot and logic itself is paper thin

• Like 1