The Wild Eric

93rd Academy Award Nominations Thread

14 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I didn't expect it to get into the category (eventhough I still think the snub sucks) but I'm surprised that Tenet didn't make it into score but made it into production design. I guess Nathan Crowley's name really helped.

The complaints about all the audio problems with the movie did it in for any sound-related noms tbh (hence no Sound nomination either).

Animated Feature is probably the only major category that would have had the same line-up if the year had gone as planned since pretty much all of the animated movies ended up bypassing theaters. Although I'm guessing Connected or its new title would have replaced one of the more obscure nominees had Netflix picked it up sooner and Onward would have been more of a fringe contender as opposed to #2 or 3 (might have missed if Raya had come out in 2020 as it was originally supposed to to avoid Disney domination in the category but being a well-reviewed Pixar movie and going down as the first major cinematic victim of COVID guaranteed it a spot near the front of line).

Edited by filmlover

I could see the ratings drop off by 75% or more from last year tbh, simply because this was The Year Without Movies and these virtual ceremonies are just not very fun. Awards season isn't really awards season when you take away all the fun stuff like hype-building festivals and starry red carpets.

Meanwhile...

Edited by filmlover

They'll receive a resurgence when they get with the times and expand these award shows to streaming, and let go of the old "one TV network" format. It isn't the 90s anymore. Throw the Oscars on twitch and youtube and people will watch them.

Edited by Ithil
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Ithil said:

They'll receive a resurgence when they get with the times and expand these award shows to streaming, and let go of the old "one TV network" format. It isn't the 90s anymore. Throw the Oscars on twitch and youtube and people will watch them.

The Emmys are gonna are live on CBS and Paramount+ this year. As long as the Oscars are still with ABC (which is going to be until around the end of the decade) I can see them attempting to work out a deal to try and have them on Disney+ live at the same time (although Hulu seems more likely).

27 minutes ago, Ithil said:

ABC pay 75 millions a year for the right to stream it, maybe more people would watch if you stream if for free worldwide on youtube and letting go to tv deals you made in every country, but does it translate in nearly has much money ?

Something that is all about prestige and history (almost all of it by now, with how large of a voting body with almost 0 curating it is now) turned into a free youtube stream, it is an hard act to balance.

5 hours ago, Barnack said:

ABC pay 75 millions a year for the right to stream it, maybe more people would watch if you stream if for free worldwide on youtube and letting go to tv deals you made in every country, but does it translate in nearly has much money ?

Something that is all about prestige and history (almost all of it by now, with how large of a voting body with almost 0 curating it is now) turned into a free youtube stream, it is an hard act to balance.

Disney Plus in India

12 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Not that I loved Soul but it was said to be best film of year by many and is the best reception for animation film I have seen till date. It's a shame animation films are snubbed this hard.

The movie didn't even have the best reception for an animated film in 2020, but yeah, if it was a live-action film, it definitely would've been a Best Picture frontrunner. 

• Like 1

An animated movie is simply never getting nominated for Best Picture ever again if a universally-acclaimed one couldn't make the cut in a year where the pickings were really slim. The Animated Feature category has become their way of recognizing the genre.

My take away 

-best actor winner likely come from a non best picture nominee, the first since 2009 Jeff bridges in crazy heart

-8 best picture nominees seem right in a lesser year

-good snub for da 5  bloods

-another round best director is also a welcome surprise for non English entry, just like how Akira kurosawa randomly got nominated for ran in 1985

-if gleen wasn't nominated for razzie, I will call her a frontrunner as Jodie foster was taken out, now the chance just seem slim....I doubt gleen want to win her Oscar for something like that too