filmlover

Belfast | 11/12/21 | Focus | Kenneth Branagh | TIFF Premiere

Yeah, I doubt that Death of the Nile is really going to have much of an effect on Belfast’s Oscar hopes. Even if it ends up not being a good movie, cast controversies notwithstanding, Branagh has had a long and varied enough directorial career that I think most folks will be able to just write it off as a troubled studio film that didn’t work out, not as some sign that he doesn’t deserve recognition for a passion project he’s clearly more locked in on.

I’ve also long thought that Norbit didn’t really cost Eddie Murphy his Oscar. It’s a repugnant movie, yes, but I thought the bigger issue with Murphy was his long history of not being very well-liked within the industry. Throw in the late-breaking love for Little Miss Sunshine (which probably came within a hair’s breadth of beating The Departed for Picture) and an Arkin upset was probably going to happen even without Norbit to point to as a reason Murphy didn’t prevail.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Can't wait for Uwe Boll's Oscar winning reflection on life in Berlin Wall era divided Germany.

I just looked this up but Brett Ratner was raised by a guy with mob ties! pretty interesting could be the comeback he's looking for.

16 hours ago, tonytr87 said:

If this wins Best Picture it'll be the first winner I haven't seen since English Patient. 

English patient is terrible, I constantly rank EP below other widely panned winner like Shakespeare in Love and Crash. The one I see worse than EP in recent decade was Braveheart.