BiffMan

Weekend actuals (THG $58,551,063 -61.6%)

If the situations were reversed, and (let's say) THG did around $160-170m... if CATCHING FIRE opened in March to $150m it would still get a ton of praise. (It might be slightly more expected, but still amazing).The fact that a first film did this is just crazy.

yes, it's true, but aren't sequels supposed to have bigger openings?

Wow, that's quite a drop. Props for Baumer for pretty much nailing this thing, and to Baumer and Fake for spending all of last week trying to knock some sense into us. Don't have time to get into analysis right now, but this changes the dynamics of the opening weekend a little bit as well.

As I expected after the Friday number, we see a sub 60m 2nd weekend, very big drop, pretty dissapointing considering it is a non sequel and the fan base is growing so rapidly as the film's run progresses.It is good to see everyone snapped back to reality, baumer and Fake had it right, it is a dangerous game BO you can really get carried away.The people's champ had everyone sitting at home on Sunday.

It won't see a multi above DH1, 2.36 is the max imo, it will probably manage a 2.2-2.3 multi and struggle to pass 350m.The Hobbit and TDKR will still rule 2012.

As I expected after the Friday number, we see a sub 60m 2nd weekend, very big drop, pretty dissapointing considering it is a non sequel and the fan base is growing so rapidly as the film's run progresses.It is good to see everyone snapped back to reality, baumer and Fake had it right, it is a dangerous game BO you can really get carried away.The people's champ had everyone sitting at home on Sunday.

I think people got carried away because they just wanted to see a film do really well. Aside from DH2's OD last year, nothing really exciting has happened at the BO since then so it was understandable for people wanting to see THG continue to do amazing things.

It's quite amazing to think how big the LOTR films were. Mind-bogglingly big.

Exactly, they were massive. And on top of that their legacy still holds up a decade later as one of the most beloved trilogies of the modern film generation. If Hobbit is well received it's anything but crazy to predict 450m+ for it. FOTR was the least attended and it still adjusts to $433m. And keep in mind Hobbit will have 3D inflation on top of that, so again 500m for Hobbit would still likely be a dropoff in attendance from even FOTR. Edited by MovieMan89

This will be third for the year.

Unlikely, quite possibly 4th from the looks of things. The Avengers, The Dark Knight Rises, and The Hobbit should all do better domestically. There is a small chance Breaking Dawn Part 2 could do better than The Hunger Games domestically, making it 5th for the year. But at the very least I think it will be 4th. Edited by ACCA

Let's wait and see where The Hunger Games finishes, shall we? All this talk of 350M domestic is premature, just like talk of the 2nd weekend record was far too premature.If Hunger Games finishes below 350M, then yes The Avengers has a very strong chance to beat it. Both Iron Man films made over 300M domestically, and The Avengers is pretty much Iron Man and friends, so 300M domestic is almost a lock. How much higher it goes is up for debate.

Unlikely, quite possibly 4th from the looks of things. The Avengers, The Dark Knight Rises, and The Hobbit should all do better domestically. There is a small chance Breaking Dawn Part 2 could do better than The Hunger Games domestically, making it 5th for the year. But at the very least I think it will be 4th.

I just don't see BD2 doing that much, HG should at least get to 330m.