chasmmi

BOT Top 150 Animated Films Countdown begins...

109th  – Anastasia

149 points – 8 votes ( 1 top 5, 0 top 10 )

2013 – Not in Top 25

2014 – 88th  

2016 –124th

2018 – 93rd 

My personal ranking – 36th   

It was only a couple of years ago that I eventually got around to watching this and damn was I disappointed in myself for not watching it sooner. It is a great film in my opinion and probably the best Disney Princess film not made by Disney.

This film has hovered inside the top 100 for most of these lists (with one exception in 2016), but in this iteration has shown to be another Bluth film to just drop into the realm of 100-150th. It does feel like a film that has been forgotten a little by general film watchers and thus is possibly not on the general watch list of kids growing up these days.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

108th  – Cars

150 points – 10 votes (0 top 10 )

2013 – Not in Top 25

2014 – 79th  

2016 –127th

2018 – 89th   

My personal ranking – Not in top 100 – I think this film is fine. I enjoy it, maybe top 150.   

This film seemed determined to finish in 100th spot for a long time. No matter how many lists were tallied, this bugger just kept finding itself in 100th. By list’s end, it did drop a little bit and misses the top 100 for the second time in these lists’ existence.

This is actually the first Pixar film to land on the list, which is a surprise when we are over 40 films in. Admittedly this is because the bottom tier of Pixar is now missing the top 150 (Good Dinosaur, Cars 2 and 3), which is not exactly a bad thing.

• Like 6
  • ...wtf 1

107th  – Brave

151 points – 12 votes (0 top 10 )

2013 – Not in Top 25

2014 – 57th  

2016 –60th

2018 – 86th   

My personal ranking – 81st – I like it – sue me. It’s a Pixar’s best Studio Ghibli impression.    

Brave’s slow decline down the list has now seen it slip out of the top 100 for the first time, if only just. Brave has a bad rep that I think is not entirely deserved. I think it suffers from being the first Pixar film since A Bug’s Life to not be hailed a stone cold classic and thus it must be bad right?

This is actually the second Pixar film to land on the list, which is a surprise when we are nearly 1 film in since the last one. Admittedly this is because the rotten tier of Pixar is now missing the top 150 (Good Dinosaur, Cars 2 and 3), which is not at all a bad thing.

• Like 7
  • ...wtf 1

106th  – Only Yesterday  

153 points – 8 votes ( 1 top 10 )

2013 – Not in Top 25

2014 – Not in Top 100  

2016 –88th

2018 – Not in Top 100 

My personal ranking – 29th – Maybe the best end credits sequence in a film.

And so we return to Ghibli and a film that I watched for the first time because of this list. Spoiler: It’s really good, folks. The way the film alters the animation style depending on whether it is the current day story or the memories being remembered is really cool, and the whole story is just… nice. It’s just very nice to watch.

It’s a shame to see it fall outside the top 100 - a feat it has still only achieved once back in 2016 – it is also great to see another less famous Ghibli film make an impact on this list. And a film by Ghibli’s best director at that as well.

• Like 9

4 hours ago, chasmmi said:

110th  – Happy Feet

146 points – 9 votes ( 0 top 10 )

2013 – Not in Top 25

2014 – 91st 

2016 – 95th

2018 – Not in Top 100

My personal ranking – Never Seen – There are only so many animated penguins I can deal with

This film had a really weird voting trajectory. It was nowhere for almost the entire tallying run (I think it was on about 40 points with only about 7 or 8 lists left to go). Then it just received a run of votes on list after list after list and eventually almost cracked the top 100.

This also seems to continue the film’s slight, slow downward trajectory from just inside the top 100 to just outside the top 100. Should I maybe watch this one day?

You should, It’s quirky and delightful and goes in unexpected directions. 

• Like 2

105th  – Megamind

153 points – 10 votes ( 1 top 10 )

2013 – Not in Top 25

2014 – Not in Top 100  

2016 –144th

2018 – Not in Top 100 

My personal ranking – 38th – Another one that I saw recently and enjoyed a lot more than I expected.

Fun Fact: This film was in 14th after three lists, it was quite a trip. Then it slowly fell further down the rankings before just slipping outside the top 100.

This is another film that follows the classic Dreamworks formula of ‘Let’s make our film seem like it will be as bad as possible, but actually make a pretty great film’, which is a consistently baffling tactic.

This is by far the best performance Megamind has ever had in one of these countdowns and maybe that is a sign that it is ready to springboard to the moon…

• Like 6
  • Astonished 1

104th  – Treasure Planet

153 points – 12 votes ( 1 top 10 )

2013 – Not in Top 25

2014 – Not in Top 100  

2016 –Not in Top 150

2018 – 87th  

My personal ranking – 50th – This is the live action remake that would actually be epic, Disney. Just do it already!

One of the most infamous bombs in cinema history, and like a lot of these famous bombs, the film is actually a lot better than reputation suggests and maybe people are realizing that over time.

An ambitious idea that was perhaps a little ahead of its time, Treasure Planet just slips outside the top 100 this time around, but I hope to see it make a return again in 2023.

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

103rd  – The Simpsons Movie

156 points – 12 votes ( 1 top 10 )

2013 – Not in Top 25

2014 – 64th  

2016 –65th

2018 – 82nd  

My personal ranking – 40th – Spiderpig, Spiderpig, that scene alone was some of the best Simpsons in years.  

I forgot about this film initially and was only reminded of it when I saw it pop up on lists. Did this happen with others too I wonder as it misses the top 100 for the first time. A 40 place drop over the course 4 lists is pretty severe, maybe the biggest drop we have seen so far.

The Simpsons Movie did spark a renaissance of such in Simpsons quality as the film did almost capture the comedy heights of early series (and the following series was also probably the best in ten years also).

However, it’s easy to forget that these days now that Simpsons episodes continue to be made just because Fox will not give it permission to die.

• Like 9

102nd  – Frozen 2

158 points – 10 votes ( 1 top 10 )

2013 – Not Eligible

2014 – Not Eligible 

2016 – Not Eligible

2018 – Not Eligible 

My personal ranking – Not in top 100 – I liked it, and probably in 2018, it would have snuck into my top 100. But not anymore.  

Officially WDAS’ most popular sequel, Frozen 2 was never going to hit the heights of its predecessor. That isn’t the point though. Despite a drop in quality, it can at least be lauded for trying to tell a different story and not just reset everything to how it was pre-Frozen and retell that tale. 

I think it also has to be said that sequels to musicals, whether animated or live action almost never go well because you can’t get away with repeating the songs (unless you are Jungle Book 2) which are normally 80% of the reason why a musical is popular to begin with.

In fact, I am not an expert but maybe I can ask @Cap, can it be argued that this is the best musical sequel?

• Like 5
  • Astonished 1
  • Sad 1
  • ...wtf 1

101st  – Watership Down

164 points – 8 votes ( 2 top 10 )

2013 – Not in Top 25

2014 – Not in top 100   

2016 –119th

2018 – 94nd  

My personal ranking – Not in top 100 – Just a little too much rabbit on rabbit violence for me.

And now for something completely violent. Watership Down is the final film to miss the top 100 – a slight slip from 2018, and the penultimate film to do so with 8 votes.

This film is famous for its gore and the whole ‘hey let’s mentally scar the children’ that the 80s would then take up as their mantle for animated films and fucking run with.

This also marks a burst of 5 films where I have actually seen all of them, and that is exciting for me at least.  

• Like 5
  • Sad 3

On 7/25/2021 at 5:58 AM, chasmmi said:

109th  – Anastasia

149 points – 8 votes ( 1 top 5, 0 top 10 )

2013 – Not in Top 25

2014 – 88th  

2016 –124th

2018 – 93rd 

My personal ranking – 36th   

It was only a couple of years ago that I eventually got around to watching this and damn was I disappointed in myself for not watching it sooner. It is a great film in my opinion and probably the best Disney Princess film not made by Disney.

This film has hovered inside the top 100 for most of these lists (with one exception in 2016), but in this iteration has shown to be another Bluth film to just drop into the realm of 100-150th. It does feel like a film that has been forgotten a little by general film watchers and thus is possibly not on the general watch list of kids growing up these days.

YALL CLOWNS 😤😤😤😤😤 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, chasmmi said:

101st  – Watership Down

2013 – Not in Top 25

2014 – Not in top 100   

2016 –119th

2018 – 94nd  

My personal ranking – Not in top 100 – Just a little too much rabbit on rabbit violence for me.

And now for something completely violent. Watership Down is the final film to miss the top 100 – a slight slip from 2018, and the penultimate film to do so with 8 votes.

This film is famous for its gore and the whole ‘hey let’s mentally scar the children’ that the 80s would then take up as their mantle for animated films and fucking run with.

This also marks a burst of 5 films where I have actually seen all of them, and that is exciting for me at least.  

Another snub from the top 100. :whosad:

• Like 1

23 hours ago, chasmmi said:

101st  – Watership Down

2013 – Not in Top 25

2014 – Not in top 100   

2016 –119th

2018 – 94nd  

I watched this when I was a kid. The violence shocked me. 

• Like 1

On 7/26/2021 at 1:38 PM, chasmmi said:

101st  – Watership Down

2013 – Not in Top 25

2014 – Not in top 100   

2016 –119th

2018 – 94nd  

Remember all the complaints every year when one TV channel would show this over Easter, and daft none the wiser parents would plonk the kids in front of it not knowing they were about to be scarred for life? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 7/26/2021 at 7:38 AM, chasmmi said:

101st  – Watership Down

2013 – Not in Top 25

2014 – Not in top 100   

2016 –119th

2018 – 94nd  

You animals did this masterwork dirty

• Like 2

100th – Peter Pan

167 points – 10 votes ( 1 First, 0 top 10 )

2013 – Not in Top 25

2014 – 46th   

2016 –77th

2018 – 75th    

My personal ranking – Not in top 100 – It started in my top 100 and got pushed out as I went through my watch list.

So have our first film on the list that is going to see one member of the forum spit out their Perrier in disgust and lament us fools for doing the best animated film of all time dirty. Otherwise known as, the first film on the list to receive a first place vote.

Peter Pan is seen as a Disney Classic by many, and an outdated and even problematic film by many others. It has some great songs and does have that sense of Disney magic that you expect from the older films. But maybe it is also a film that is ever so slowly losing its charm with new audiences.

• Like 7
  • Disbelief 2

99th - The Peanuts Movie

167 points – 14 votes ( 0 top 10 )

2013 – Not Eligible

2014 – Not Eligible   

2016 –98th

2018 – Not in Top 100   

My personal ranking – Not in top 100 – Maybe it is the British in me, but Charlie Brown just isn’t quite for me and the only part of the film I enjoyed was the random Snoopy stuff.

Another film to begin life in a different medium, this time comics followed by cartoon shorts. The Peanuts movie is a film that I remember had a lot of fans of the franchise worried about the step into 3D, but then the film released and it seems that in fact it was fans of original Peanuts that seemed to enjoy it the most and it was folks like me that weren’t really into it beforehand that ended up…still not really being into it.

Also the first film on this list to receive 14 votes and did so before anything recorded 13 as well.  

• Like 9

98th – How To Train Your Dragon 3

174 points – 13 votes ( 0 top 10 )

2013 – Not Eligible

2014 – Not Eligible    

2016 – Not Eligible

2018 – Not Eligible   

My personal ranking – 27th – I am the lone hero that seems to feel that Dreamworks Threequels are the best of the franchise (or almost the best) – Big Green Ogres aside that is.

As with Kung Fu Panda and Megamind, this was yet another Dreamworks franchise that I arrived late to the party on as I had no interest in a film with such a silly title that was a clear move to pander to the 3D gimmick as opposed to making a good film.

I was very wrong. Very wrong indeed. This was a wonderful franchise that tell a great overreaching story about a boy and his cat… I mean dragon. The animation is flipping beautiful too.

• Like 10
  • Sad 1

97th – Sleeping Beauty

179 points – 12 votes ( 0 top 10 )

2013 – Not in Top 25

2014 – 47th   

2016 –59th

2018 – 68th    

My personal ranking – Not in top 100 – Another Disney Classic that has slipped out of my personal top 100 this time around.

And it seems I am not the only one to do this as Sleeping beauty falls 30 places from its previous incantation as opposed to about 10 places in previous list-to-list drops.

This was the last Disney Princess film Produced by Walt Disney himself (and the last to be made by WDAS for 30 years). It also has one of the most Hail Mary examples of a guy shooting their shot at chatting up a girl when Prince Phillip tries to (and actually succeeds at) recover from being caught watching Aurora dancing in the woods by claiming he is no stranger, no not at all, he’s the guy she dances with in her dreams, absolutely he is. Barney Stinson would be proud.  

• Like 8
  • Disbelief 2

96th – Cinderella

185 points – 8 votes ( 2 top 10 )

2013 – Not in Top 25

2014 – 56th   

2016 –61st  

2018 – Not in top 100   

My personal ranking – Not in top 100 – See Sleeping Beauty and Peter Pan

So that makes 3 Disney Classics in five film reveals and unlike Sleeping Beauty and Peter Pan that have seen big drops since 2018, Cinderella has managed to climb back up the list since the previous installment.

It is also the final film to make the list with only 8 votes making Cinderella officially the hipster niche film choice of 2021. Outside of this, it pretty much shows itself to me another older Disney film that was once in and around the top 50, but is now fighting to remain in the top 100.

• Like 6
  • Disbelief 1