Eric Duncan

***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** THE SUICIDE SQUAD SPOILERS THREAD ***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS***

23 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

IDK but Harley's action spree felt a bit weird and slowly boring to me. Her hanging by legs a much more heavier soldier and lifting him up like nothing and then taking on group of SOLDIERS not just by guns but PHYSICALLY. 

It was like, "ok do whatever".

Do,you even know Harley Quinn? What is this even supposed to mean? You don’t think that she could take on a bunch of some Mario Kart guards? That’s Harley Quinn. She has been playing stunts like that in films, games and comics for decades now.

• Like 5

Definitely best DCEU film and arguably one of the best DC films of all time. It’s a master class of the superhero genre, a tour de force, it knows fully well that it’s a film of the superhero genre and owns it, never ashamed of it, but in fact celebrating it. The box office is unfortunate, but expected. I kinda wish this was delayed, it’s not fair that a film so great is destined to be a box office dude.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Gunn making the Squad murder the rebel soldiers just for a joke put me off. It felt so mean spirited, and it worries me that the crowd that ranted about the earlier DCEU films not having enough "hope and optimist" are having fun with this bit

I actually saw it coming mid way that scene but how the rebel leader sum it up in the end, "americans, always come guns blazing"

The one thing I like about film is how anti-american supermacy this was. 

20 minutes ago, Alligator Zatt said:

Do,you even know Harley Quinn? What is this even supposed to mean? You don’t think that she could take on a bunch of some Mario Kart guards? That’s Harley Quinn. She has been playing stunts like that in films, games and comics for decades now.

No I don't know her and what she did in games and comics don't matter. What matters is that if you are gonna show 55Kg character taking down much heavier trained soldiers, then show it convincingly. 

• Like 3
  • ...wtf 1

1 minute ago, charlie Jatinder said:

No I don't know her and what she did in games and comics don't matter. What matters is that if you are gonna show 55Kg character taking down much heavier trained soldiers, then show it convincingly. 

Sure, let’s expect logic from Gotham City characters and their plot armors. Or any other fictional superhero tale for that matter.

:hahaha:

10 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

In a film with a talking great white shark walking around on land wearing swimming shorts, I think it’s safe to say we can give the film some leeway in regards to reality.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Actually the hand-to-hand fights I really liked, the gunfights I thought were stupid (like, why aren't they just shooting her?), but it's a common trope in action movie that the hero mostly survives by the bad guys forgetting how to pull their triggers, John Wick is extremely guilty of this, and people love that series.

1 minute ago, SnokesLegs said:

In a film with a talking great white shark walking around on land wearing swimming shorts, I think it’s safe to say we can give the film some leeway in regards to reality.

IDK what are these logics. Ofc its superhero film so characters will be super but you need to set the power levels and then follow those. You can't have Black Widow physically overpowering Thanos just on the notion that we need to give it some leeway in reality.

• Like 2

Just now, Last Man Standing said:

Actually the hand-to-hand fights I really liked, the gunfights I thought were stupid (like, why aren't they just shooting her?), but it's a common trope in action movie that the hero mostly survives by the bad guys forgetting how to pull their triggers, John Wick is extremely guilty of this, and people love that series.

That said, opening scene when title characters actually get shot is actually one of the best one of the film.

• Like 1

Just now, charlie Jatinder said:

IDK what are these logics. Ofc its superhero film so characters will be super but you need to set the power levels and then follow those. You can't have Black Widow physically overpowering Thanos just on the notion that we need to give it some leeway in reality.

You are comparing a bunch of Mario Kart soldiers to... Thanos?

Let’s be real, is this because Harley Quinn is an woman or haven’t you ever seen what she is capable of even if confined to how she is depicted in the DCEU films? Because this doesn’t make sense at all. Like, completely.

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 2

Nevermind Thanos, a bunch of Suicide Squad b-side characters took down Starro, one of the biggest Justice League villains, in story and literally. And it looked cool af. Harley is the star of the assemble, she is Suicide Squad’s Iron Man or Wolverine. Of course she will have some truly bad ass moments in it.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I don’t really think Harley’s power levels are below a bunch of hired goons, she’s demonstrated her prowess with fighting in two prior films. I get what you’re saying, but I don’t think that fight scene is out of the realms of possibility for the character. She’s obviously “super” considering that gravity defying jump she makes at the end.

Very happy Peter Capaldi got an opportunity basically gift wrapped for him. I knew there'd be less of him than I'd prefer, but I wasn't expecting him to get a chance to act the fuck out of a scene.

EDIT: I should probably add something more of substance lol, I think the script to this shines. Many clever gags that aren't just funny, but enhance the themes (such as the hysterical Bloodsport and Peacemaker wrecking the people who turn out to be good guys, or Weasel instantly "dying"). It also manages to pull all the various strands together in a very satisfying way at the end, and it feels very personal to James Gunn regarding the very reason he ended up making this film in the first place.

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 2

I was lean positive until the final 20 minute CGI fuckfest action scene with all the generic uplifting beats, which made me an overall lean negative or neutral. Gore was excessive and nothing funny about watching exploding bloody heads. Some of the banter was very fun and the cast is great, and I certainly appreciated the low-stakes and lack of universe building bullshit. But it's pretty much just a more violent version of all these movies. I'm getting too old for this shit.

15 hours ago, Last Man Standing said:

This might be my favorite CBM. It's definitely the best script I've seen for a CBM.

I think the script was okay; other directors will not be able to pull it off and this would have been absurd.

James Gunn really made this like crazily acceptable.

17 hours ago, 4815162342 said:

This movie was a crowd pleaser, my audience was quite into it.

The biggest reaction was when Harley pulled a Xenia Onatopp on the guard. The audience was silent, but then one guy went "DAMN!" and then everyone started laughing.

I feel like the amount of rats in the city at the end was a bit excessive but it was a good moment

My buddy knows the guy in that scene with Harley. He’s was like, that lucky SOB got to have Robbie’s legs wrapped around his head for multiple takes lol

Overall I enjoyed it but I did think it got a little slow in the middle. Really enjoyed the whole ending though. 

• Haha 2

Thought this was just alright. Maybe my expectations were too high from all the good reviews but I thought the Guardians movies (especially the first) were better. The scene with Harley Quinn inside the starfish alien with all the rats was very cool and psychedelic, probably my favorite part.