Eric Duncan

***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** THE SUICIDE SQUAD SPOILERS THREAD ***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS***

On 8/1/2021 at 12:19 AM, FilmFincher said:

Just want to give a shout out to the sequence where Bloodsport and Peacemaker are competing on how they take guys out. It was already hilarious and then they reveal it's the good guy rebels and you get the whole bit of the team standing awkwardly. Great stuff, I laughed so hard. 

I went to see it again last night and that scene plays very differently when you know what they’re actually doing 😂 You can see that they’re all good guys, like how one of them offers to get their friend a cup of coffee before King Shark chomps him.

On 8/4/2021 at 4:14 AM, SpiderByte said:

Very much enjoyed it. Felt maybe Bloodsports plot armor was a little too thick with the floor collapse thing

That bit really tickled me for some reason, when it went to a long shot of him steadily falling through multiple floors it just really got me. Same for the shot of the weasel just floating past the camera after drowning.

I wasn’t keen on the editing of that “8 Minutes Earlier” bit in Jotunheim on my first watch, it felt like it interrupted the flow of the film, but on rewatch it works a lot better, especially when Bloodsport lands in front of Peacemaker when he’s about to shoot Ratcatcher 2.

Definitely my favourite DC film since Nolan’s trilogy for me. It’s just pure OTT fun.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SnokesLegs said:

That bit really tickled me for some reason, when it went to a long shot of him steadily falling through multiple floors it just really got me. Same for the shot of the weasel just floating past the camera after drowning

They needed a more creative way of getting him down to where Peacemaker was.

This movie was a crowd pleaser, my audience was quite into it.

The biggest reaction was when Harley pulled a Xenia Onatopp on the guard. The audience was silent, but then one guy went "DAMN!" and then everyone started laughing.

I feel like the amount of rats in the city at the end was a bit excessive but it was a good moment

• Thanks 1

Well.  I’m still trying to get through it on HBO.  I’ll be the odd person out and say  it has been very boring and just…dumb.  I think it is just not my kind of movie, and that’s okay.  I’m sure plenty of people will enjoy it.  I did find Peacemaker kind of funny, but other than a couple scenes and Harley’s one good line, nothing much else.

10 minutes ago, sabrecmc said:

Well.  I’m still trying to get through it on HBO.  I’ll be the odd person out and say  it has been very boring and just…dumb.  I think it is just not my kind of movie, and that’s okay.  I’m sure plenty of people will enjoy it.  I did find Peacemaker kind of funny, but other than a couple scenes and Harley’s one good line, nothing much else.

I'm feeling the same way. Somewhere down the line, something about Gunn's style changed for me (I still like the original GOTG), and I'm not enjoying this a ton.

• Like 1

Very much enjoyed this, mostly loved it, not as great of a complete package as the GOTG films (not that this warrants direct comparison aside from Gunn’s involvement). Less funny than I was expecting (though that’s by Gunn’s design) but more engaging on a story and character level than I was expecting.

The second act was very sprawling and I think unfocused (though still entertaining). The setup was great, and the 3rd act spectacular. The middle felt very start-and-stop.

John Cena was much better here than in Alt-F4. I’m a huge Peter Capaldi fan, and loved every moment of him here, even if it’s less than I would have liked.

I knew going in that most of the cast would be killed off, and none of those decisions surprised me, though the how and when most people died kept catching me off guard.

Went to the theater for this, first time since Rise of Skywalker. Had a good crowd. Hope this gets a somewhat respectable opening weekend (that $30m projection seems low to me, but maybe Delta really has made a big dent in the cinema-going apatite)

• Like 1

Wife and I enjoyed this last night. Other than killing off Flagg, that ticked her off. We love Harley and after the mess of the last 2 films, this was actually enjoyable. 

Thankful for Max for those of us who can't drop and go to a theater. 

Gunn making the Squad murder the rebel soldiers just for a joke put me off. It felt so mean spirited, and it worries me that the crowd that ranted about the earlier DCEU films not having enough "hope and optimist" are having fun with this bit.

I also had a problem with Harley Quinn being portrayed as kinda overly clever and powerful rather someone that survives because of luck and her craziness. Amanda Waller also felt a bit off character by how people not took her seriously by the end - from her underlings at the office to the Squad ignoring her threat.

Just like in the 2016 movie, the Squad decides at the end to do the right thing, even though they didn't have to. I think this arc was done better in the first one. Especially because in Gunn's movie it was stupid, Waller was gonna kill them in a second, undermining so many things that were established earlier, and the only reason that didn't happen was because Waller's staff conveniently stopped her.

Overall I really liked this, though. The characters were funny, the action was good, it had personality and the political commentary was great. It wasn't just an empty, generic, disposable adventure like the stuff the DCEU has been doing lately.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

Gunn making the Squad murder the rebel soldiers just for a joke put me off. It felt so mean spirited, and it worries me that the crowd that ranted about the earlier DCEU films not having enough "hope and optimist" are having fun with this bit.

I also had a problem with Harley Quinn being portrayed as kinda overly clever and powerful rather someone that survives because of luck and her craziness. Amanda Waller also felt a bit off character by how people not took her seriously by the end - from her underlings at the office to the Squad ignoring her threat.

Just like in the 2016 movie, the Squad decides at the end to do the right thing, even though they didn't have to. I think this arc was done better in the first one. Especially because in Gunn's movie it was stupid, Waller was gonna kill them in a second, undermining so many things that were established earlier, and the only reason that didn't happen was because Waller's staff conveniently stopped her.

Overall I really liked this, though. The characters were funny, the action was good, it had personality and the political commentary was great. It wasn't just an empty, generic, disposable adventure like the stuff the DCEU has been doing lately.

After those first three paragraphs, the fourth paragraph felt like a twist worthy of an M Night Shyamalan film! Glad you liked it though!

Edited by SnokesLegs
  • Like 1

I think that cynical, darkly humorous edge is what helps distinguish the film from the myriad of superhero properties. 

The unashamed killings of the squad at the start.

The little bird being brutally killed and another one coming back and pecking on Rookers exploded head. 

Bloodsport and Peacemaker competing to take out those guys in brutal ways (that one guy sleeping though) and then revealing they're the rebels.

King Shark making cute friends, only for them to attack him in a horrifying way.

Polka Dot Man wants to die and when he fulfils his dream of being a superhero he immediately gets squashed. 

Then little things peppered throughout like Weasel having killed 12 children. 

It just feels like Gunn is having so much fun playing with all that stuff. I also don't know much about the Suicide Squad but to me he nailed the tone it needed. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Last Man Standing said:

We've seen the buildup of their distrust in her throughout the movie, until the culmination in the golf club to the back of the head. It wasn't a lazy convenient out. The script is meticulous.

She also doesn’t know specifically who hit her, and the final shot of her glaring at them through the window shows that she’s pretty pissed off. If they were to make a sequel or bring back Waller in another film, I’d imagine she’d have a completely different team after this.

58 minutes ago, FilmFincher said:

I think that cynical, darkly humorous edge is what helps distinguish the film from the myriad of superhero properties. 

The unashamed killings of the squad at the start.

The little bird being brutally killed and another one coming back and pecking on Rookers exploded head. 

Bloodsport and Peacemaker competing to take out those guys in brutal ways (that one guy sleeping though) and then revealing they're the rebels.

King Shark making cute friends, only for them to attack him in a horrifying way.

Polka Dot Man wants to die and when he fulfils his dream of being a superhero he immediately gets squashed. 

Then little things peppered throughout like Weasel having killed 12 children. 

It just feels like Gunn is having so much fun playing with all that stuff. I also don't know much about the Suicide Squad but to me he nailed the tone it needed. 

I was interested in seeing what he would do with Weasel. Jokes on me