The Wild Eric

Expend4bles | September 22, 2023

I'm back after a screening!

It was much better than Expendables 3, for sure. That I can say. The R rating really helps at all.

Spoiler

Stallone is barely in it ( he's out of the movie early on ). This starts as a Expendables movie, but turns into a Jason Stathan actioner ( which is perfectly fine in my book, given how I enjoy his movies ) right after. There's a twist about who the villain is. 

It's ok. Maybe 6.5 / 7 out of 10, but I'm biased and enjoy that kind of flick. So, perhaps many won't like it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

I'm back after a screening!

It was much better than Expendables 3, for sure. That I can say. The R rating really helps at all.

Hide contents

Stallone is barely in it ( he's out of the movie early on ). This starts as a Expendables movie, but turns into a Jason Stathan actioner ( which is perfectly fine in my book, given how I enjoy his movies ) right after. There's a twist about who the villain is. 

It's ok. Maybe 6.5 / 7 out of 10, but I'm biased and enjoy that kind of flick. So, perhaps many won't like it.

Are Iko Uwais and Tony Jaa given a decent amount to do?

Having watched this one, I'm curious about the CinemaScore. 

It's a dumb fun movie, but it's also very stupid and has some really bad effects and some weird editing and a stupid twist. I'm biased for this kind of movies and I think fans of previous ones will enjoy it a bit, but this is getting 100% the worst CinemaScore of them.

Spoiler

I wouldn't be surprised with a C+

The producers and writers don't get the point of a movie called Expendables. 

Spoiler

Someone gets killed early on, only to return in the last scene as some stupid Deus Ex Machina moment. They also set up Iko Uwais to be the villain ( according to the trailer ), but in the movie he's another henchman of the main villain that's revealed in the end of the third act ( guess who? ). Also, Megan Fox is the leader of the Expendables. I'm not joking. The effects were Asylum levels of production. 

On 9/20/2023 at 8:24 AM, Youngstar said:

I saw some reviews here in Germany and man all the ones I saw were really bad like 2-3 /10...

Not all. Some reviews from moviewebsites (critics, not user) and newspapers say it's (very) flawed but still fun.
E.g. the Münchner Merkur rated it 6/10 (to my surprise). They said that it is an action fireworks with partly nice self-irony.

I didn't see it so far. But I can already say that I'm a little bit angry that despite having such a cast and possibilities and years to create a great film you have to hope that it's at least a movie which is fun to watch with a good crowd.

By the way, is there a reliable source how big the budget was? 

Edited by el sid

On 9/20/2023 at 6:27 AM, TheDude391 said:

Are Iko Uwais and Tony Jaa given a decent amount to do?

Some people who have seen it said that they're good in it but should have gotten more screen time. Incomprehensible decision.

Edited by el sid

I think with E3 being terrible, and the 9 year gap, movie fans have just moved on from this, even fans of Stallone and the other acotrs.

I mean the films thread on here has 2 pages and the film is out lol.

Besides the film calling itself 'EXPEND4BLES' deserves to flop.

Also this supposedly has a 100mil buget, even though the cast seems quite trimmed compared to the past films in terms of big names, and the effects apparently look terrible.

What the hell do film makers do with budgets these days?