MrPink

Oppenheimer | 2024 Academy Award Winner for Best Picture and Best Director

The was shared at Nolan Fans forum - from Kai Bird, co-author of American Promotheus:

I have seen the film last week and I'm not allowed to give the plot away, but if you've read the book you'll recognise the film and I am at the moment sort of stunned and emotionally recovering from having seen it.  It is I think going to be a stunning sort of artistic achievement and I have hopes that it will actually stimulate a national even global conversation about the issues that Oppenheimer was desperate to speak out about.

@20.30

• Like 2

Also, I am sure this will have the regular good Nolan legs, but even if it opens to 50 million we're still talking MAYBE Dunkirk numbers domestically (still can't see it because it's twice the length of that and missing the action) and its most likely OS markets will be European, but the UK won't deliver what it did for Dunkirk, because that obviously had its own significance here. 

Expectations should be toned down a bit. If this does, say "Black Adam" numbers, that would be a huge success for the type of movie it is, consolidate Nolan as a brand even more and you can bet his next movie will be a big budget one, with Universal giving him a blank check book.

I wonder if this is true regarding the review embargo. Probably not. I mean, i don't care how secretive Nolan is, holding reviews so late will raise questions....

The “Oppenheimer” embargo, for now, doesn’t lift until July 19, which is two days before the film gets released. Universal has been very secretive about this film, which is 3 hours, some of it in black and white, and Rated R.

https://www.worldofreel.com/blog/2023/6/y3vcka1dez0qbwktcr4ucsv0jjlj2h

Edited by Maggie

14 hours ago, reddevil19 said:

Can't figure out if it's satire or not. Amazing! All positives. 8 out of 10.

Think the guy is a fake. His Avatar review mentioned something that didn't happen, but also his scores from movies this year are all over the place.

https://www.wired.com/story/christopher-nolan-oppenheimer-ai-apocalypse/

A very interesting interview  that goes into AI and the parallels with Oppenheimer plus some interesting details on the film towards the end (which you may consider spoilerly, regarding tone and ending). It's more outwardly political of a discussion than I think I've seen directly from Nolan.

27 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Hmm... he seems to be getting high off his own supply here. Hopefully he won't be hoisted with his own petard. And any other expression one might think of...

In the context of the interview, the statement is a little more benign than the tweet suggests and the discussion is centered more towards the ending specifically, but we'll see in a month.

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, MrPink said:

https://www.wired.com/story/christopher-nolan-oppenheimer-ai-apocalypse/

A very interesting interview  that goes into AI and the parallels with Oppenheimer plus some interesting details on the film towards the end (which you may consider spoilerly, regarding tone and ending). It's more outwardly political of a discussion than I think I've seen directly from Nolan.

Whatever else one can say about Nolan, he's an excellent interviewee.

Well, the growth of AI in terms of weapons systems and the problems that it is going to create have been very apparent for a lot of years. Few journalists bothered to write about it. Now that there's a chatbot that can write an article for a local newspaper, suddenly it's a crisis.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MrPink said:

In the context of the interview, the statement is a little more benign than the tweet suggests and the discussion is centered more towards the ending specifically, but we'll see in a month.

What, interviews have nuance and click-baity titles and tweets don't reflect them accurately? Get the fuck outta here.

15 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

Whatever else one can say about Nolan, he's an excellent interviewee.

Well, the growth of AI in terms of weapons systems and the problems that it is going to create have been very apparent for a lot of years. Few journalists bothered to write about it. Now that there's a chatbot that can write an article for a local newspaper, suddenly it's a crisis.

The man dresses like he's always ready for a BBC interview on art history from within the National Gallery and can't avoid exposition dumps. It would be hilarious if he just gave monosyllabic answers in interviews.

Edited by reddevil19

3 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

The man dresses like he's always ready for a BBC interview on at history from within the National Gallery and can't avoid exposition dumps. It would be hilarious if he just gave monosyllabic answers in interviews.

I do like Nolan but I always get the impression that in his family, Jonah was the fun one and Chris was the serious one.