MrPink

Oppenheimer | 2024 Academy Award Winner for Best Picture and Best Director

2 hours ago, Redolent said:

I could be wrong but it looks like tracking is already showing a jump in Oppenheimer sales now that Barbie tickets have been released. 

Either way, it’s a huge amount of free marketing.

I think I can't emphasis this enough. It is very unusual strategy to adopt viral marketing a.k.a meme to advertise a serious adult drama. They were mostly used for the film with lighter tone such as Minion and Cocaine Bear or with contagious moment like dancing such as M3GAN. If Oppenheimer managed to pull off a bigger than usual success for an adult drama, this could open a whole new doctrine on how studio should approach marketing for a serious drama.

Asteriod City also have some viral marketing working in its favour, we will know how much meme or reel can boost an indie film in this coming weekend but the early sign is very encouraging.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

I can also confirm strong boost in sales over past 24 hours driven by this barbeimer discussions. This is going to be one of the big 1-2 punches we have seen in a while. When was the last time we had 2 openers on the same day opening well. Its probably pre pandemic. 

dude we just has flash and elementals last Friday lol 😲

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Issac Newton said:

Fz-Jo6-Bo-Xs-AMn-NUs.png

In Japan, Oppenheimer release remain undecided. Only Strays &Renfield from Universal release date are left to be decided. &for the former one, Toho-Towa doesn't have screenings rights (In Japan, Paramount/Universal works are distributed by Toho-Towa)

@Gavin Feng, I heard Oppenheimer hasn't passed censorship and at 1st place, Nolan hasn't sent copy for review.

It's very hard to get approval...I suggest no expectations for a Chinese release.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

I can also confirm strong boost in sales over past 24 hours driven by this barbeimer discussions. This is going to be one of the big 1-2 punches we have seen in a while. When was the last time we had 2 openers on the same day opening well. Its probably pre pandemic. 

The last time 2 movies opened above 40M each was October 5, 2018.

Venom with 80M

A Star is Born 42M

https://www.the-numbers.com/box-office-chart/weekend/2018/10/05

• Like 1

This is one great interview with the man:

https://www.wired.com/story/christopher-nolan-oppenheimer-ai-apocalypse/\

He didn't foresee what's happening now, the slow decline of democracies. The rise of autocracies. The North Koreas.

I don't think he saw that at all. It was a very optimistic moment.

That's what I worry about with the talk of needing a worldwide governing body for AI. We have nonstate actors, or state actors …

Right. But that's the thing in dealing with tech companies who have refused to be bound by geographical limitations. Systemically, tech companies are encouraged and enabled to circumvent government regulation. It's an ethos. By the way, I'm coming across like I think that Silicon Valley's evil and all these people are terrible. I don't. It's just the system. It's just the way it works.

Plus, there's an odd element of, well, safety I guess, with nuclear weapons, because you have to have specific ingredients to build a bomb. That's very different than facing the potential of supercomputing.

During World War II, the British program for their bomb was very sophisticated. They had a lot of great scientists. But Churchill and his government realized they just didn't have the resources. So they gave the Americans everything they had. They said, You have the size, the distance from the front line, the industrial base. I read a statistic at some point in my research about the number of Americans who were involved in making the first atomic bomb. It was something on the order of 500,000. It was all these companies. It was a massive physical process, which is why to this day it's easy to spot when a country's doing it. So there's certain things that give us a bit of reassurance that the process can be managed. And I don't think any of this applies to AI.

No, I don't think it does—especially when some of what we're talking about with AI is a softer threat. Disinformation on hyperspeed, technological unemployment.

It is, but I'm less—I feel that AI can still be a very powerful tool for us. I'm optimistic about that. I really am. But we have to view it as a tool. The person who wields it still has to maintain responsibility for wielding that tool. If we accord AI the status of a human being, the way at some point legally we did with corporations, then yes, we're going to have huge problems.

Are you seeing anything in AI that could be wonderful for, in particular, filmmaking?

Oh definitely. The whole machine learning as applied to deepfake technology, that's an extraordinary step forward in visual effects and in what you could do with audio. There will be wonderful things that will come out, longer term, in terms of environments, in terms of building a doorway or a window, in terms of pooling the massive data of what things look like, and how light reacts to materials. Those things are going to be enormously powerful tools.

Will you take advantage, personally?

I'm, you know, very much the old analog fusty filmmaker. I shoot on film. And I try to give the actors a complete reality around it. My position on technology as far as it relates to my work is that I want to use technology for what it's best for. Like if we do a stunt, a hazardous stunt. You could do it with much more visible wires, and then you just paint out the wires. Things like that.

It'll improve the ease and efficiency of visual effects, you're saying.

It's not starting from nothing. It's starting from a much more detailed and data-driven idea. It might finally break the barrier between animation and photography. Because it's a hybrid. If you tell an artist to, say, draw a picture of an astronaut, they're inventing from memory or looking at references. With AI, it's a different approach, where you're actually using the entire history of imagery.

Using actual images.

Using actual images, but in a completely, fundamentally rebuilt manner—which of course raises significant artists' rights issues, and that will have to be dealt with.

• Like 3

Imagine 1960s Robert Oppenheimer thinking about what his legacy is going to be in the coming decades, being told that in 2023, one of the first words that people think of when they hear his name is "Barbie".

An old college professor had the theory that Oppenheimer's legacy is constantly changing in many ways given the current prolonged absence of World War sized conflict and the greater sense of unity amongst most of the world. It's as if the universal fear of nuclear war proved to be a greater unifying factor than anything else. 

It is indisputable - for better, or worse - that someone was eventually going to crack the bomb and bomb code and no doubt better that it was USA than someone else back in those days.

7 minutes ago, Maggie said:

And movie opens July 20 in previews. ..

Yeah, Dunkirk followed the same rollout iirc 

Seems like Nolan just doesn’t like the traditional screenings in advance to generate online hype and he can demand it 

Universal seems fine with it as well, they did exactly this last year with Nope 

Edited by ThomasNicole

5 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

Yeah, Dunkirk followed the same rollout iirc 

Seems like Nolan just doesn’t like the traditional screenings in advance to generate online hype and he can demand it 

Universal seems fine with it as well, they did exactly this last year with Nope 

From what I recall, Dunkirk had social media reactions the Friday before with reviews that following Monday before release, but also I recall that was not the original embargo.