MrPink

Oppenheimer | 2024 Academy Award Winner for Best Picture and Best Director

26 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Yep, I take Nolan at his word. He says it was a $180M budget for a 180 page script. Tack on marketing and they probably need at least $500M to break even. Similar gross to Tenet would be a flop. 

Break even in theatrical.  Luckily for films they aren't budgeted with just theatrical in mind.

I wonder if that Budget is before or after tax credits. New Mexico gives out 25-35%

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Break even in theatrical.  Luckily for films they aren't budgeted with just theatrical in mind.

I wonder if that Budget is before or after tax credits. New Mexico gives out 25-35%

the breakeven number is with the ancillary number in mind

37 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Yep, I take Nolan at his word. He says it was a $180M budget for a 180 page script. Tack on marketing and they probably need at least $500M to break even. Similar gross to Tenet would be a flop. 

If that is the case, then yes. But THR also reported 100M today which is odd. We'll see, some trade will report the actual cost closer to release.

Edited by Bobzaruni

After Cameron, Nolan has cemented himself as easily the biggest director at boxoffice currently. In this post-covid environment, if a 3hr R rated biopic like this was directed anyone other than Nolan (except for Cameron), I doubt it would even cross 200M Worldwide and I am being generous here lol. Nolan brand is still huge despite Tenet's mixed reception.

Edited by upriser7
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, upriser7 said:

After Cameron, Nolan has cemented himself as easily the biggest director at boxoffice currently. In this post-covid environment, if a 3hr R rated biopic like this was directed anyone other than Nolan (except for Cameron), I doubt it would even cross 200M Worldwide. Nolan brand is still huge despite Tenet's mixed reception.

This subject had Paul Newman and a $30 million budget in 1989. Total box office was less than $4 million.  Nolan’s movie has an extra hour of runtime and a much larger budget. Pretty damn risky project. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

l-intro-1643830658.jpg

clearly - and lazily by Nolan standards - filmed right outside the cardigan hangers in England where they shot much of the trilogy!

22 minutes ago, upriser7 said:

After Cameron, Nolan has cemented himself as easily the biggest director at boxoffice currently. In this post-covid environment, if a 3hr R rated biopic like this was directed anyone other than Nolan (except for Cameron), I doubt it would even cross 200M Worldwide and I am being generous here lol. Nolan brand is still huge despite Tenet's mixed reception.

Tarantino can pull it off too

• Like 2

• Heart 1

I think Nolan meant 180 minutes, not million lol - idk why the budget would exponentially increase by $80m considering that all discussion of that since this film was green-lit was in the $100m range

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, TMP said:

I think Nolan meant 180 minutes, not million lol - idk why the budget would exponentially increase by $80m considering that all discussion of that since this film was green-lit was in the $100m range

That would make a lot of sense, especially because Nolan bringing up the production budget in the context of the script just seems...weird? He's done a number of interviews where he paralleled the 180 page script with a 180 minute runtime, seems much more likely than bringing up the budget out of nowhere.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, upriser7 said:

Barbenheimer has helped it a lot though (and also Barbie to a lesser extent). Don't see it performing like this if it were releasing without Barb. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

Barbenheimer has helped it a lot though (and also Barbie to a lesser extent). Don't see it performing like this if it were releasing without Barb. 

In other words, even though WB was trying to spite Nolan, they inadvertently ended up helping his movie. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Redolent said:

A representative for the film reached out to clarify that Nolan's original quote was misreported. The director referred to the film being 180 minutes long, not costing $180 million to make.

https://collider.com/oppenheimer-budget-christopher-nolan-comments/

What a shock... the 100 million budget drama biopic shot in only a few US locations that is directed by someone famous for coming in under budget, with stars that took paycuts, dis NOT, in fact, cost double that.