MrPink

Oppenheimer | 2024 Academy Award Winner for Best Picture and Best Director

Review Embargo has been broken

https://focus.knack.be/film/reviews-film/onze-man-in-de-ban-van-de-bom-dave-mestdach-over-oppenheimer/?utm_medium=social_knack&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1689717759-2

4/5

Despite his commercial instinct, Nolan - who shot this historical epic for a 'modest' $ 100 million - realizes better than anyone that cinema is more than a story or text illustration, even if it contains as many menacing explosions as Oppenheimer's. It is initially an immersive experience, sculpting with light in time to be transported to other worlds, milieus and psyche's. And not 21 e century filmmaker from the mainstream who has mastered this art as well as Nolan, who prefers to spread his gravitas on the widest possible canvas, like a kind of Anselm Kiefer from the silver screen.

For those who don't understand: an ingeniously made, compellingly told and meticulously orchestrated spectacle biopic that continues to smolder, even when the mushroom cloud around your head has disappeared.

https://www.thejournal.ie/oppenheimer-review-6122065-Jul2023/

+ve

Cillian Murphy Shines in intense Epic about "Father of Atomic Bomb"

Edited by hasanahmad

3 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Remember reading about his filming this on the Berkely campus last year.

He plays the guy the Lawrence/Livermoore radiation lab is named after. (It is part of UC Berkeley, but is located about twenty five miles away in a small town called Livermoore.

1 minute ago, dudalb said:

Remember reading about his filming this on the Berkely campus last year.

He plays the guy the Lawrence/Livermoore radiation lab is named after. (It is part of UC Berkeley, but is located about twenty five miles away in a small town called Livermoore.

Pretty sure Lawrence is a one time friend (?) who turns into a quasi - foe later on and goes full blown "build more and bigger bombs!" as we get into the 1950s. 

It would be really really funny if this ended up having the same RT score and Metacritic rating as Barbie though I think Oppenheimer will be slightly higher. Both of them being great though is gonna cause a lot of discourse in the film community. 

8 minutes ago, zlazer said:

WILL BARBIE HAVE A HIGHER ROTTEN AND METACRITC SCORE

Barbie What GIF by MOODMAN

Probably so.  Opinions tend to be all over the map with Nolan's stuff. My favorite movie by him is The Prestige, which didn't exactly have great reception from the critics. The critics raved about Dunkirk, but there are plenty of folks out there who hate that movie or were bored with it. Interstellar had pretty mixed reaction, but some people really love it.

All of us will just have to make up our own minds with Oppenheimer when we see it. If it's anywhere near as good as The Prestige, I would be very happy with that result. Heck, I just watched Insomnia the other day and I would be pretty happy if Oppenheimer is as good as that one. 

I just rewatched The Prestige today for the first time in ages. I know it's sort of become the Jackie Brown of his filmography in that it's the hip film twitter thing to say "y'know secretly that's his best movie" but still can't really get into it. too goofy. jackman/johansson bad.

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Sad 2