MrPink

Oppenheimer | 2024 Academy Award Winner for Best Picture and Best Director

Saw it Saturday night.

Best movie I have seen this decade, and one of the four of five best I have seen this century (Since 2000).

Entire cast is great, but Downey does start out. Man, you hate his charecter's guts.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Avatree said:

without spoilers, as dont want to get suspended - what scene do you think Emily would get awards nod for? She didnt have much to do in the whole film imo, other than her face reacting to things Oppenheimer says. didn't seem like a real character.

I refuse to admit spoilers is a valid concept in a movie that is a matter of historical record.

I think the secne where she faces down the prosecutor doing the McCarthy routine on her was great.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

I think Nolan's achievement here is even bigger. He basically make a sci-non-fiction historical drama. The last great example I can recall, by blending science element this well with social-politics, is Arrival. 

To be honest, I love Ludwig' score more than zimmer's in a Nolan film. Nolan film has been emotionally cold (except Interstellar) and I don't think zimmer has done enough job (If he ever intended) to moderate that. Ludwig successfully inject emotional power into typical cool-looking Nolan's artistic style and supplement his direction. Like how James Horner used his score to "cover-up" Cameron's weakness in dialogue.     

More important, one without any real action sequences...I don;'t think the Trinity sequence is an action sequence.

1 minute ago, keysersoze123 said:

We will never see so much of Nolan ever again for any movie but all these videos are sensational. Plus that chemistry with Downey. I am 100% sure they are working again. 

I think Downey has definently joined the Nolan Summer Stock Company.

Blunt was better than Murphy in my opinion (who was a bit too cold for me though that's just his style) but her performance is so sliced and diced that it rarely holds a moment outside of the prosecution scene where she get to shine for a solid 2 minutes uninterrupted. It looks like she s about to takeover several scenes and overwhelm Murphy's energy but then it just cuts away. 

Edited by excel1

2 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

We will never see so much of Nolan ever again for any movie but all these videos are sensational. Plus that chemistry with Downey. I am 100% sure they are working again. 

Weirdly I never appreciated RDJ this much with all his Marvel interviews lol maybe because all of those actors/actresses are extroverts. But with this Oppenheimer press tour I love every single interview with RDJ in it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eeetooki said:

Weirdly I never appreciated RDJ this much with all his Marvel interviews lol maybe because all of those actors/actresses are extroverts. But with this Oppenheimer press tour I love every single interview with RDJ in it.

People forget that RDJ was considered one of the best young actors in Hollywood before he nearly self destructed with drugs circa 2000.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Is banning Hollywood movies really a thing in Japan? The film doesn’t remotely paint the bombings on Hiroshima and Nagasaki in a positive light. 

I think WW2 is an understandably touchy subject for Japan, but I doubt that’s the entire reason. I think the big thing is it’d probably not make enough to bother releasing.

1 hour ago, WittyUsername said:

Is banning Hollywood movies really a thing in Japan? The film doesn’t remotely paint the bombings on Hiroshima and Nagasaki in a positive light. 

Japan will probably release it, but it might take a while. Which is not that uncommon in Japan anyway.

4 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

Certain Film don't have any plans for Japan (I would say they don't have buyers) &some even after purchase can't make into Theatres because they themselves aren't into confident if it's a run for profit or lose.