The Wild Eric

IATSE Strike Discussion Thread | Deal ratified

18 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

Shit, lol. The one I meant said he didn’t support the union if it meant Mandalorian would be delayed. 

Where's my "rolls eyes" reaction button, as I need it for situations like this.

(needless to say, don't claim that person as a part of my tribe. 👍)

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

(needless to say, don't claim that person as a part of my tribe. 👍)

Will say that I am cautiously pleased to see that the majority of SW fans I have seen comment on this have been pro-IATSE.  Admittedly, might just be the subreddits I've been lurking on, though. 

But I do think that outside of trolls (who are ever-present in all walks of life sadly) there isn't a huge "gimme my content or else" attitude out there right now and giving [an outsized] voice to those trolls runs the risk of misrepresenting sentiment out there in geek circles.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

Originally I figured studios would cave to avoid another production delay…now I’m actually worried that studios have seen that they can can survive through a major delay period and can wait out the strike indefinitely 

They may think that but they’re going to have a bitch of a time getting anything done other than buying completed shows & movies from foreign distributors and companies. 

Accountants are part of IATSE. What happens when paychecks are due?

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

1 hour ago, Plain Old Tele said:

The trades are basically being used as negotiating extensions by both sides. But also, there will be at least one more effort to find a deal over the weekend, I’m sure of that. The union will exhaust all opportunities before the strike formally happens. 

You have to guess which statments by both sides are for real, and how many are just maneuvering to try to see the other side gets the blame if a strike happens.

I hope the Union holds firm. If this was just about money I would be more cynical, but's it not:it about working conditions.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dudalb said:

You have to guess which statments by both sides are for real, and how many are just maneuvering to try to see the other side gets the blame if a strike happens.

I hope the Union holds firm. If this was just about money I would be more cynical, but's it not:it about working conditions.

I mean, money’s a pretty good reason too! Those writers assistants and script coordinators (among others) get paid dick. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

Will say that I am cautiously pleased to see that the majority of SW fans I have seen comment on this have been pro-IATSE.  Admittedly, might just be the subreddits I've been lurking on, though. 

But I do think that outside of trolls (who are ever-present in all walks of life sadly) there isn't a huge "gimme my content or else" attitude out there right now and giving [an outsized] voice to those trolls runs the risk of misrepresenting sentiment out there in geek circles.

One of things I don't like about   mondern fandm is how incredibly selfish some fans have become. They don't

seem to care about anything outside their own little world. Look an how many people here did not take Covid seriously until it hit them over the head.

• Like 3

Yeah i believe Variety way more and both posted at the same time, but only one goes along yesterday news that discussions are going to good direction.

I think this will be resolved quickly, if happens before Monday (and seems possible givem Variety info), even better.

That person saying they walked out negotiations is a critic, i doubt he have really good info about that, probably just heard a rumour.

• Like 1

Just now, john2000 said:

I mean you would think that a walkout from negotiatons would be something big enough for  the trades to report

Exactly.

He said in the comments he got the info from "a person involved", pretty vague.

Variety said they spoken to lots of people on their report. If it's true, they would know.

Keep in mind that the trades are often mouth-pieces for the studios. I'm not saying this is the case (I hope it's not the case), but if IATSE truly walked away, getting something out there saying "We're really close to a deal!" makes it easier to paint the guilds as greedy, selfish, etc.

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, ViewerAnon said:

Keep in mind that the trades are often mouth-pieces for the studios. I'm not saying this is the case (I hope it's not the case), but if IATSE truly walked away, getting something out there saying "We're really close to a deal!" makes it easier to paint the guilds as greedy, selfish, etc.

I've just been on Zoom with the president of IATSE and he didn't mention the studios had walked away. 😕

Thats what a reporter from reuters said under  that post.Bu yeah you got a point

2 hours ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

I also don’t believe anyone That is saying that one side “walked” away from negotiations. 

negotiations will be taking place around the clock until Monday. 

You wonder if things were getting tense in the negotiations, and it was decided it was a good idea to take a break, and this somehow got morphed into a "walk out".

• Like 1