Eric is Quiet

Weekend Thread (10/15-17) | Halloween Kills 4.85M Previews, Last Duel 350K

Just now, Let There Be Legion said:

This seems more like wishful thinking than an acknowledgement of reality. A majority of movies exist I'm the first place because the people who financed ot expect a positive return on average, not because they want to say something beautiful about the human condition or whatever

Sure. All things in a commerce-oriented society can have the exact same argument, from painting and sculptures to sports to the clothes you wear and food you eat. You start thinking that "realistically" about everything, and it takes alot of the beauty and culture out of life, man.

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Are there actual dates for Nightmare and Gucci at this Oscar Museum place?

I think it's just rumors at the moment. The only movie confirmed to premiere at the Academy Museum right now is Last Night in Soho (which will be the first movie premiere there on the 25th).

The Academy Museum’s First Film Premiere Is ‘Last Night in Soho’ – Deadline

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Sure. All things in a commerce-oriented society can have the exact same argument, from painting and sculptures to sports to the clothes you wear and food you eat. You start thinking that "realistically" about everything, and it takes alot of the beauty and culture out of life, man.

This seems tangential to the original discussion. The point was that it isn't realistic to expect studios to put big budgets and marketing spending into adult-targeted films if people aren't showing up to make them successful. 

Edited by Menor
  • Like 3

Just now, Menor said:

This seems tangential to the original discussion. The point was that it isn't realistic to expect studios to put big budgets and marketing spending into adult films if people aren't showing up to make them successful. 

Well, the moment these movies stop getting made is the moment me and alot of the people on these forums find a new hobby, tbh.

• Like 1

Indie movies, the A24 types and the arthouse, will continue to thrive. It's movies like the Last Duel and other mid-sized adult films that won't. That is where I am worried. Would a movie like the Departed or No Country for Old Men or Michael Clayton or Munich get greenlit today? Hell, would even 1917 or Ford v Ferrari? Those are the movies we will lose. The indie movies will be fine, IMO. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I don't find that to be so. I still love a bunch of products even though I know that their creation was enabled by some intention to make money down the line.   

But anyway, this conversation came from discussing whether studios should continue to greenlight films if they are in a genre that produces flops too consistently. And the answer is -- studios are studios, not artists. Artists can still try to do art stuff but they aren't entitled to money from non-artists to do money losing art with 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Menor said:

This seems tangential to the original discussion. The point was that it isn't realistic to expect studios to put big budgets and marketing spending into adult films if people aren't showing up to make them successful. 

Yea there's a big difference between spending a few grand (potentially) on a non-commercially viable sculpture or painting VS spending $30M on a film that's only going to make $15M.

Streaming is the last bastion for films like this. Not the theater. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Well, the moment these movies stop getting made is the moment me and alot of the people on these forums find a new hobby, tbh.

Just to be clear I'm not saying I want them to stop getting made. However, I think the trend for these types of films is unfortunately pretty clear if no changes are made. I am in favor of things like more dynamic pricing by film to see if that could draw more people to struggling genres. 

• Like 4

At least Scott has Gucci which is pretty guaranteed to make money because of the Gaga's legions of stans.

Its hard to get a feel of it based on the first trailer though, I really hope its more The Wolf of Wall Street than American Hustle.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Menor said:

Just to be clear I'm not saying I want them to stop getting made. However, I think the trend for these types of films is unfortunately pretty clear if no changes are made. I am in favor of things like more dynamic pricing by film to see if that could draw more people to struggling genres. 

I don't think you're incorrect at all, I'm just much more despondent and angry about this reality than being able to accept it. 

At the beginning of this thread I mentioned that The Last Duel's pre-COVID release date was a clear indication that they were aiming for awards first and foremost and any money it would have made would've been considered a bonus. That would explain why they likely had no problem pouring so much money into it despite the tricky subject matter (although one wonders if a lengthy COVID shutdown also inflated the budget). Not a bad business strategy when you own a ton of other properties that are sure to make a ton of money and mitigate potential losses on riskier projects (one of the reasons why Annapurna didn't last very long as a self-distribution studio was because they weren't making any money from any of their projects period).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TigerPaw said:

I am seeing a HD version of Dune on almost every China pirated website with English and Chinese subs.

I thought HBO Max release is next week? What happened here..

It leaked early. Good quality versions on English sites too

1 hour ago, Let There Be Legion said:

It’s 32M away off a 26.6M week — but inflated by Columbus Day. Adjust for that and more of a 24.6M week. So it needs 43% avg drops. But the most important week is the next one, where there is reasonably high competition (or maybe ron+dune will be like 35, that could certainly help the holdovers a bit I guess).   

Roughly 172.6 by th, maybe 180.8 by sun, 183 by next th, 17 away on a 10.4 week takes  38% drops with a large drop likely from Eternals.

But 48% 3rd weekend from Columbus week suggest the movie is stabilizing. If BW can catch some break at 4th or 5th week at 40% range drop, no way we can rule out the same for V2. Of course BW has better mid-week thanks to Summer but V2 is doing ok to close that gap during weekend.

Not to mention if the movie can hit 198m range, Sony will give it a try to 200m during the week or leading up to NWH opening.  

9 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Indie movies, the A24 types and the arthouse, will continue to thrive. It's movies like the Last Duel and other mid-sized adult films that won't. That is where I am worried. Would a movie like the Departed or No Country for Old Men or Michael Clayton or Munich get greenlit today? Hell, would even 1917 or Ford v Ferrari? Those are the movies we will lose. The indie movies will be fine, IMO. 

I mean it wasn't so long ago that we had 1917, Ford v Ferrari, Little Women, Uncut Gems, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, Hustlers etc. all break out in the same year. I can't really believe that the viewing audience has shifted all that much since then

• Like 3
  • Sad 1