Eric Duncan

Weekend Thread (10/15-17) | Halloween Kills 4.85M Previews, Last Duel 350K

https://deadline.com/2021/10/halloween-kills-the-last-duel-weekend-box-office-1234856404/

Universal/Miramax/Blumhouse’s sequel Halloween Kills, which is also available on Uni’s streaming service Peacock today to paid subscribers, made $4.85M from 7PM shows last night booked at 2,950 theaters. While that amount is lower than the $7.7M previews of the 2018 version, which wound up being the best opening and highest grossing film in the franchise with $76.2M 3-day, $159.3M domestic and $255.6M worldwide, the R-rated Halloween Kills bested the PG-13 Thursday preview results of A Quiet Place 2 ($4.8M, 5pm shows), and Universal’s genre pandemic movies Candyman ($1.9M, 7PM at 2,750 theaters), and Blumhouse’s Forever Purge ($1.3M, 7PM shows at 2,580).

• Like 3

Good call to whoever said $4.8 million for previews for Halloween Kills! I know I read someone, or a couple people, suggest that figure in other threads.

The OCD person in me just wants to say I love how there is a new fresh thread every weekend! Very organized, you guys are here. Love it!

Sorry, I'm just still giddy at finding this site. Don't mind me!

• Like 5

Just now, Cmasterclay said:

Poor Last Duel :( just too grim and too forgotten in this marketplace. With that kind of number, I don't think it indicates a hit even pre-pandemic.

I'm hoping studios don't get too discouraged from making these films. It's going to be awhile yet until the box office is ready for adult dramas. I truly don't think this is a proper indication of the market for this kind of film. 

• Like 2

Great start for Halloween. It was only a few tickets behind AQP in my tracking but I opted for lower comps. This is what the weekend will look like if it follows 2018:

20.8M Friday (4.29x previews)

17.1M Saturday (-18%)

10.1M Sunday (-41%)

48M Weekend

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Great start for Halloween. It was only a few tickets behind AQP in my tracking but I opted for lower comps. This is what the weekend will look like if it follows 2018:

20.8M Friday (4.29x previews)

17.1M Saturday (-18%)

10.1M Sunday (-41%)

48M Weekend

I think at-home availability will kick in to the internal multiplier. Staying over $40m is great though. 

Hard to compare to any of the other 2021 horror films in terms of multiplier from previews, as only two of them went day and date (The Conjuring and Malignant) and they didn’t have previews. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Val357 said:

I'm hoping studios don't get too discouraged from making these films. It's going to be awhile yet until the box office is ready for adult dramas. I truly don't think this is a proper indication of the market for this kind of film. 

It's been a while since any movie in this genre made a lot of money or at least broke even.

The Last Duel's original release date pre-COVID was going to be Christmas Day in NY/LA and January 8 everywhere, so Disney/20th Century were clearly always positioning it as an awards movie first and foremost with box office being a second priority (fitting for a movie dealing with such a heavy topic). As mentioned elsewhere, the combination of bleak subject matter and a target audience that has yet to return to theaters in big numbers was always going to make this the wrong movie at the wrong time despite the immense pedigree, hence the stunningly low numbers it's looking at right now.

• Like 1