Porthos

***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** ETERNALS ***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS***

Starting this one up early because there are spoilers already filtering out of the World Premiere.

Thanks ever so much, Variety.

So, like, make your comments here about whatever spoilers are getting out there that you know about and, for heaven's sakes, stop even making vague hints in the main Eternals thread. 

Since this IS the spoiler thread, can't complain about, you know, spoilers.

But here's your one and only warning to vamoose...

Some folks over at Disney (he's a Senior Publicist) look to be Big Mad over how quickly and casually Harry Styles' involvement in the film was spoiled.

And, yes, this was the offending tweet that kicked off the storm:

Timestamp is literally one minute after the social media embargo being lifted.

As I think about it, it is almost certainly the casualness of the spoilage that is pissing some folks off.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

Cap, who has somehow remained unspoiled, and is wisely staying away from this thread, wanted me to pass this along as she figured some of y'all would get a chuckle out of it:

Edited by Porthos
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, CJ Chapek said:

That is the big credits reveal? I don't believe you.

Oh, yes.  I never said it was a major earth shattering MCU development (though having Thanos' brother appear certainly could be important), just that it would be next to IMPOSSIBLE to ignore if one is on social media (given the breath and craziness of Harry Styles fandom).

Some folks don't want to know spoilers and given the fandom in question, gonna be REAL hard to ignore if one is on social media, like, at all.

Edited by Porthos

38 minutes ago, Let There Be Legion said:

There is a lot of important stuff that could be spoiled, so at least the thing currently doing the rounds is some insignificant celebrity casting with almost no impact on the movie.

While there are of course much bigger spoilers that could be spoiled, I wouldn't quite be so dismissive.  When I found out that Darth Maul was gonna have a minor cameo in Solo thanks to immediate post-premiere chatter, I was fucking pissed.  Turns out he had next to no plot involvement and it was a post-credit scene in all but name (if not execution). 

But I was not a happy bunny when I found out (not from a major Trade, admittedly, though some obliquely referred to it), so I can empathize with those who are... put out when they unexpectedly found out about this from folks who absolutely should know better (Kris Tapley also repeated the same spoiler about 30 minutes later).

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Porthos said:

While there are other spoilers, I wouldn't quite be so dismissive.  When I found out that Darth Maul was gonna have a minor cameo in Solo thanks to immediate post-premiere chatter, I was fucking pissed.  Turns out he had next to no plot involvement and it was a post-credit scene in all but name (if not execution). 

But I was not a happy bunny when I found out (not from a major Trade, admittedly, though some obliquely referred to it), so I can empathize with those who are... put out when they unexpectedly found out about this from folks who absolutely should know better (Kris Tapley also repeated the same spoiler about 30 minutes later).

Actor spoilers are very different than returning character spoilers though imo. Not that I endorse either, and just dropping it in plain English when it clearly wasn’t allowed to be out yet was a major fuckup that I hope has consequences.

Edited by Let There Be Legion

Eternals plot definitely didn't copy ZSJL at all. I'm still amused that a few critics thought it's appealing to pitch 2 fandoms against each other through their vague tweets before the review embargo.

Perhaps it's groundbreaking these days to let one of the main leads be the hidden "villain" all along. But I don't think Ikaris was really a villain, Madden already warned that Ikaris was a loyal soldier to the Celestials. The conflict here was he's against Sersi, who suffered "Optimus Prime" syndrome and would do everything to protect the human race because of love, sympathy or whatever lovey-dovey feeling they developed after a long time with humans. Marvel still hasn't fully broken their formula with this film because Sersi's character couldn't be more cliché.

1 hour ago, Arian1010 said:

Eternals plot definitely didn't copy ZSJL at all. I'm still amused that a few critics thought it's appealing to pitch 2 fandoms against each other through their vague tweets before the review embargo.

Perhaps it's groundbreaking these days to let one of the main leads be the hidden "villain" all along. But I don't think Ikaris was really a villain, Madden already warned that Ikaris was a loyal soldier to the Celestials. The conflict here was he's against Sersi, who suffered "Optimus Prime" syndrome and would do everything to protect the human race because of love, sympathy or whatever lovey-dovey feeling they developed after a long time with humans. Marvel still hasn't fully broken their formula with this film because Sersi's character couldn't be more cliché.

Putting this in tags just for people who didn't read the synopsis but came only for closing credits spoiler:

there's gonna be a full-blown shipper war cause Sersi will be with Dane (The Black Knight) going forward. Whether Ikaris returns or not (the flying towards the sun in the spoiler synopsis could mean he killed himself, or not, it's vague) doesn't matter cause Kit's character becomes the big hero. Also, it makes sense that he and Eros/Starfox join in because the team loses 3 members (if we count Ikaris). 

So yea, Sersikaris shippers won't be happy.

I'm guessing Styles post-cred cut off before Pip the troll because he was mentioned in the spoiler synopsis too but not in tweets. I wonder if Starfox and Pip were summoned to Earth by the 10 Rings. 

Speaking of shared universe

since Celestial emerged from the Ocean, I wonder if that connects to Atlantis in Wakanda Forever. Like, an underwater cataclysm forced Atlantis to reveal itself/come to the surface or something.

Hyped!

I wonder who they got for Pip (the little troll who assists Adam Warlock in the Infinity Gauntlet comic).

Spoiler

Some people on the Marvel spoiler subreddit are implying it's Patton Oswalt (yet another blow to the Marvel TV fans still left) but I'm not sure.

Oh, and the big alien dude ensnaring Thena in the second trailer is apparently not Dan Stevens but rather Bill Skarsgard.

Harry Styles description

level 3

jgroove_LA

·7h

it evokes Starfox costume, but almost no white in the design. Red dominates. Looks like an Eternals uniform (he's an eternal I guess) but has a cape. It was an interesting suit cause I rarely think of Styles as skinny and he looks very skinny in it. Might have been boots to make him taller too. I don't remember his hair having those whisps that starfox had in the comics. Might have just missed that or they were really subtle.

Also, confirms Dane post-credit as described in the leaked synopsis.

12 minutes ago, CJ Chapek said:

Richard Madden dies at the end of this? Fuck everything.

I guess that was given considering that Sersi is dating Dane and the whole "I'm in love with the human race including in THAT way". So I guess Dane takes Ikaris place as the male lead in the sequel, and Starfox fills in for fallen members Gilgamesh and Ajak at least.