Eric the Minion

⊃∪∩⪽ Part II | March 1, 2024 | Reactions drop February 15, reviews February 21 | Zendaya for our next C-3P0

5 minutes ago, TomThomas said:

He's objectively wrong, why we even have this conversation in the first place. Words add meaning to images, even silent movies had tables with dialogues. if he actually made a 2+ hour movie without a single word, it would've been the biggest flop of his career, it doesn't work, it would look incredibly pretentious and gimmicky, gimmick driven movies very rarely hold up. John Woo just made a movie without dialogue and it got some of the worst reviews of his career. Images, sounds and words all matter in equal meassure.

I can just read book or screenplay itself if I want great dialogue. What made movie a movie is image and sound. 

1 hour ago, TomThomas said:

He's objectively wrong, why we even have this conversation in the first place. Words add meaning to images, even silent movies had tables with dialogues. if he actually made a 2+ hour movie without a single word, it would've been the biggest flop of his career, it doesn't work, it would look incredibly pretentious and gimmicky, gimmick driven movies very rarely hold up. John Woo just made a movie without dialogue and it got some of the worst reviews of his career. Images, sounds and words all matter in equal meassure.

I don't think with "i hate dialogue"  he meant movies doesn't need dialogues and every movie should be mute 😅.

He's saying, in his approach, when you think how to build a scene the first thing you have to think about is how you can put what the scene means for you with the images and the sound. Then people talking, cause characters need to talk, comes after.

🙂

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

Totally agree with him, I hate critics/cinephile that often bash against a well crafted and produced film due to their weaknesses in story, or known as style over substances, ignoring that movie is a audio-visual medium. We say “I’ve watched or seen a movie” for a reason. Eyes should be foremost, the sensory organ that a movie should please, whether through spectacle like avatar or mad max, or through unique aesthetic style like poor things or Roma.

I respectfully disagree. This is the very reason we have shit and safe scripts in Hollywood. Visual spectacle over story and characters.

They are numerous movies with great visuals and tight and we'll written scripts .

Honestly for the filmography  Dennis has , this is strange statement . His movies succeed in both areas .

Infact the best visuals are really good at conveying something about the world ,characters and story.

Story and characters are the bedrock of any movie . 

Visuals are a medium to convey a story . The story comes first. Modern blockbusters   have switched it around now . Story is their for visual spectacle .

Action movies tend to be the outlier here but even the best ones tend to have a tight script.

3 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

I respectfully disagree. This is the very reason we have shit and safe scripts in Hollywood. Visual spectacle over story and characters.

They are numerous movies with great visuals and tight and we'll written scripts .

Honestly for the filmography  Dennis has , this is strange statement . His movies succeed in both areas .

Infact the best visuals are really good at conveying something about the world ,characters and story.

Visuals are a medium to convey a story . The story comes first. Modern blockbusters   have switched it around now . Story is their for visual spectacle .

Action movies tend to be the outlier here but even the best ones tend to have a tight script.

Once again minimum amount of dialogue does not mean there isn't a story, and a script isn't just a bunch of characters saying lines.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

I think his point is simply about "show don't tell" over spoken exposition. Like, if something can be conveyed through visual then that should be preferred over describing the same thing in dialogues. Seen a lot of that in his movies.

• Like 8

12 minutes ago, nguyenkhoi282 said:

I think his point is simply about "show don't tell" over spoken exposition. Like, if something can be conveyed through visual then that should be preferred over describing the same thing in dialogues. Seen a lot of that in his movies.

This. You have to sell the story visually. Whether it's with great acting, or scenery, etc etc. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

I can just read book or screenplay itself if I want great dialogue. What made movie a movie is image and sound. 

The movie on your avatar has tons of dialogues and even some iconic lines, and you would've never put it on your avatar if nobody uttered a single word for 3 hours there.

2 hours ago, vale9001 said:

I don't think with "i hate dialogue"  he meant movies doesn't need dialogues and every movie should be mute 😅.

But that's exactly what he said in the full quote, he said he wants to make a mute film nobody would notice is mute. Good luck with that, Denis.

Edited by TomThomas

In korea should open with at least the double of the first movie. The first made 3.1M in 5 days. This one already made 3.9M in previews and still one day before the release

Edited by vale9001
  • Like 6

7 minutes ago, TomThomas said:

The movie on your avatar has tons of dialogues and even some iconic lines, and you would've never put it on your avatar if nobody uttered a single word for 3 hours there.

But would I still uttered a single words if there wasn't a visual (including the on-screen chemistry between actors)? Probably not.

People tends to forget "A picture is worth a thousand words" has its merit, let alone a motion picture. 

5 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

In korea should open with at least the double of the first movie. The first made 3.1M in 5 days. This one already made 3.9M in previews and still one day before the release

That's not previews, it's presales, for the whole weekend.

The Asian numbers to me tell the clearest story of the potential upside and legs the movie could have. Sellouts in Korea, Phillipines...and when Japan and China get into the act, could be something. I have heard little about India though, WB definitely markets aggressively there too, also can't find much data on how Part One did there.