Cap

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread (December 2021 - July 2023)

30 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

BTW @EmpireCity theater count for X next weekend? 500 or a 1500+ A24 horror drop?

My local is actually doing Thursday previews. Only A24s that have gotten that here is Hereditary and Green Knight.

• Astonished 1

Quickly scanned the posts mentioning Morbius and didn't see it.  As mentioned previously, start times are populating (not quite yet for sale, though) with the first showings at a 4pm start time. 

Almost a throwback, really. :ph34r:

Edited by Porthos
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

How wide is RRR going? Looked at nearby cinemas, and the Regal two blocks away from me is showing it. I think that's the first time I've seen them release a Indian film here.

Considering the presales it racked up in dec and that the 3rd biggest other movie that will will be like 4M, there’s every reason to give it a pretty wide release.

• Like 2

RRR actually has IMAX at the AMC here beginning Thursday 24th at 7. 73 tickets. The standard 330 has 0. 0 for standard 740. No IMAX on Friday. 0 for standard 330. 0 for 740. (Lost City has Dolby)

RRR has showtimes here at Cinemark March 24th. Begins 130. The 530 has 12. 5 for the 930. Just 2 showtimes on Friday. 1230 which has 0 and 830 with 4. 

• Like 1

I was gonna mention that, but it's even lower in my sample with only 490 for Thursday.  Could just be in a lot of theaters I don't have access to/haven't reported yet.  I checked two of the Regals listed on the site that weren't on my list.  One has shows for the 10th and the other doesn't yet.  

1 hour ago, katnisscinnaplex said:

I was gonna mention that, but it's even lower in my sample with only 490 for Thursday.  Could just be in a lot of theaters I don't have access to/haven't reported yet.  I checked two of the Regals listed on the site that weren't on my list.  One has shows for the 10th and the other doesn't yet.  

I think they went overboard with the PR. Dont think there will be 11k shows 

19 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I think they went overboard with the PR. Dont think there will be 11k shows 

I won't say it can't happen, but the 490 theaters I have only come up to 1,357 shows (2.8 per theater).  11k shows in 1k theaters would be quite interesting.  Those are very specific numbers too, almost like they are referencing something

1 hour ago, Eric Says Trans Rights said:

I guess Sony delayed tickets for Morbius, because it didn't come on either of Empire's rumored dates. And the only placeholder times are at Cinemark locations. I guess we'll get this up next week?

Heard March 14, same day as another April blockbuster. Got this from a friend on a Discord server that seems to have these dates right (or at least, they seem to line up with what EC mentions). Take their word on it or don't, I guess! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like 1

The Lost City, counted today at 10am EST for Friday, March 25 (17 days to go):

NY (AMC Fresh Meadows 7): 32 (4 showtimes)
Miami (AMC Sunset Place 24): 7 (3 showtimes)
Grand Rapids (AMC Grand Rapids 18): 2 (2 showtimes)
Austin (AMC Lakeline 9): 0 (2 showtimes)
Tempe/Phoenix (AMC Centerpoint 11): 2 (3 showtimes)
San Francisco (AMC Metreon 16): 46 (7 showtimes)
LA (AMC Universal): 12 (3 showtimes)

Total tickets sold in 7 theaters: 101.

Comps (all counted for Friday): Marry Me (7.9M OW) had with 18 days left 13 sold tickets in 7 theaters,

Last Night in Soho (4.2M OW) had on Monday of its release week 126 sold tickets (=13 days left for The Lost City to overtake it)

and Death on the Nile (12.9M OW) had also on Monday of its release week 198 sold tickets (again 13 days left for The Lost City to take the lead which will for sure happen).
Overall I expected a bit more after I read here that the trailer reactions are very good but it's still a decent start. Should reach the Death on the Nile presales in my theaters with ease.

RRR so far gets showtimes in 4 of my 7 theaters. It has no showtimes yet in the AMC Fresh Meadows in NY (which usually is very late with its schedules so it could get showtimes later; in other bigger AMCs in NY it has already showtimes) and in the AMCs Lakeline and Centerpoint (here I guess it won't be shown). But 4 of 7 isn't bad with 2 ½ weeks left.

Edited by el sid
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Eric Says Trans Rights said:

I guess Sony delayed tickets for Morbius, because it didn't come on either of Empire's rumored dates. And the only placeholder times are at Cinemark locations. I guess we'll get this up next week?

I thought I updated earlier that it is the 14th.  If I didn't, it is the 14th.  

• Like 5

Hoping for The Northman presales soon, this movie looks so dope and i loved the previous Eggers movies. 

Do you know something about it @EmpireCity?

I'm really curious if this one can appeal to mainstream audiences, the trailer did very well in views.

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Eric Says Trans Rights said:

The Lost City Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-17 and Counting

Sellouts Showings Seats Sold Total Seats Perct Sold
TOTALS 0 55 103 12340

0.83%

Total Seats Sold Today: 3

Comp

0.414x of Scream T-17 (1.45M)

0.536x of Uncharted T-17 (1.98M)

The Lost City Greater Philadelphia Area Seat Report T-16 and Counting