Cap

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread (December 2021 - July 2023)

1 hour ago, Maggie said:

Tickets are on sale now for Jurassic. Good luck, boys.

Presales wont be very high in comparison to something like Marvel or Star Wars though, and especially not this far out.

Edited by Brainbug the Dinosaur
  • Like 1

Just now, Deep Wang said:

Yeah, the JW movies haven't been super presale heavy so far from what I recall?  For some reason the last two were huge walkup movies.

Its because there are only very few hardcore Jurassic Park fans who actually care about securing seats early. 98% of the audience for these movies are among the GA and the vast majority of them dont really care about buying tickets in advance. But they do care to see it in theaters where the walk-ups come from.

This isn't Marvel or Star Wars, even DCEU..... Jurassic World real game starts in Final week before release.

Wasn't there a Incredibles 2 2nd weekend over Fallen Kingdom opening weekend thread here based on the pre sales..... Then Fallen Kingdom released. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

Wasn't there a Incredibles 2 2nd weekend over Fallen Kingdom opening weekend thread here based on the pre sales..... Then Fallen Kingdom released. 

Yes that particular sentiment gave me a ton of headaches back in 2018, but also a sweet victory when the movie released.

5 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

They'll be high enough to be worth tracking, probably higher than anything but CBMs.

Yep, i worded it poorly, i meant that it would probably pale in comparison with the presales for big Marvel movies like Doctor Strange. But compared to "normal movies", it will obviously sell a ton of tickets.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Yes that particular sentiment gave me a ton of headaches back in 2018, but also a sweet victory when the movie released.

Fallen Kingdom really went from under 100 to 130 to 150 million despite Incredibles 2 and negative reviews all over the social media and a near Rotten score by the time it released.

11 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Its because there are only very few hardcore Jurassic Park fans who actually care about securing seats early. 98% of the audience for these movies are among the GA and the vast majority of them dont really care about buying tickets in advance. But they do care to see it in theaters where the walk-ups come from.

I get the concept, I just don't get why THIS franchise.  There's no logical reason for one of the most popular and well known IP's in film doesn't generate more up-front demand to me.

I'm pretty sure I remember people in 2015 just being, "yeah, it's a walk-up movie"  like they knew when there was no evidence, lol.

• Like 1

Is there really any sort of deep fandom for the Jurassic series? The main appeal of these movies for the average individual is seeing people doing stupid things and ending up dinosaur meals because of it. It shouldn't be much of a surprise that there's never been a rush to buy tickets early.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

I get the concept, I just don't get why THIS franchise.  There's no logical reason for one of the most popular and well known IP's in film doesn't generate more up-front demand to me.

I'm pretty sure I remember people in 2015 just being, "yeah, it's a walk-up movie"  like they knew when there was no evidence, lol.

I think - and this is imo a bit of a wild theory of mine - that it has a lot to do with the family appeal of these films and thus the franchise actually acts more similar to animated movies than lets say Comic Book movies. What i mean by that is that there really are no reasons to rush out and see this movie on Thursday night under all circumstances. There are no real spoilers that must be avoided because unlike with films like Star Wars or the MCU, would spoiler for Jurassic World ruin the movie experience? Id argue no for most people, since you come for dino mayhem and you get dino mayhem, spoilers or not.

And theres also where the familys come in: They also, in parts because planning to go to the theater with kids is not always easy, wont really care about presales. Most of them only know how and when to go to the theaters days before they do, maybe a week beforehand. And so the walk-ups are forming.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Is there really any sort of deep fandom for the Jurassic series? The main appeal of these movies for the average individual is seeing people doing stupid things and ending up dinosaur meals because of it. It shouldn't be much of a surprise that there's never been a rush to buy tickets early.

There IS a diehard fanbase for this series! Including me, its like 500 people?

Spoiler

:qotd:

Spoiler

Joking aside, we are a very small fanbase, but we exist and were just having fun.

8 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Fast & Furious have bigger fanbase lol.

Dinosaurs are not much prominent in Pop Culture, Jurassic Park is..... For people it's just a way to spend 2-3 hours in theatres. 

So going down the rabbit hole. Two things

1. Jurassic World films does have big presales and not very walk-in heavy as some of you think.
2. Somehow people couldn't read the data in front of them if they were really doubtful on $100M OW or for that matter $125-150M.

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 2

I mean, I looked through the old thread a bit, and honestly I don't know where you all got this FK had bad presales stuff. It seems like it was doing just fine, from the Sacramento numbers even a week before release the 15m previews it got were in range. 

Lol jinxed by @charlie Jatinder

Edited by Menor Reborn
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

So going down the rabbit hole. Two things

1. Jurassic World films does have big presales and not very walk-in heavy as some of you think.
2. Somehow people couldn't read the data in front of them if they were really doubtful on $100M OW or for that matter $125-150M.

1.) Jurassic World was walkup heavy i guess, i don't think anyone predicted 200+ OW.

2.) Fallen Kingdom was i think affected by Reviews somewhat especially when people had choice in form of Incredibles 2.

3.) Pre Sales still aren't on level of MCU, SW, maybe even DC type franchises, but opening turns out to be good enough.