Eric Quinn

Horizon Part 1 | Kevin Costner-directed Western | June 28, 2024

3 hours ago, AniNate said:

Yeah but this is the best thing it has going for it. Make the other films move. Already some success there with Kraven.

The only one I see staying put is Alien: Romulus. Mainly because they're targeting different demographics.

Not sure if I mentioned this in another thread already, but the music in the second half of the trailer sounds very Titanic-esque. Or at the very least, James Horner-esque. Anyone know where that music is from?

1 hour ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Was anything about this movie shown at CinemaCon? The way its being marketed, it feels like the studio knows this film is a dud.

Uh yeah Kevin Costner did a big presentation to it and everything. And Empire City literally  says in his tweet the buzz on the movie is that it's fantastic. Although he may be full of shit so who knows.

Edited by emoviefan

1 hour ago, emoviefan said:

Uh yeah Kevin Costner did a big presentation to it and everything. And Empire City literally  says in his tweet the buzz on the movie is that it's fantastic. Although he may be full of shit so who knows.

Oh damn, did anyone talk about that here? I remember there was a huge thread for CinemaCon, but no one talked about Horizon in that thread.

EDIT: Even this thread was dead though CinemaCon, except for the article from Variety about the film premiering at Cannes.

Edited by MysteryMovieMogul

EmpireCity is a massive promoter of all WB movies and kind of hates a couple of the other studios. He's pretty much the only person left on the planet predicting a big Furiosa breakout. Movie could be great - Open Range is fantastic and it is playing Cannes - but I'd take it with an entire helping of salt.

• Like 2

Even though Indy did flop there, screening your movie at Cannes does indicate a certain faith in your product however misplaced it might be. Unlike the exhibitors at Cinemacon, critics and audiences at Cannes don't have a vested interest in your movie's success so they're more free to trash it if they feel inclined, but they can also give a more legitimate-looking appraisal and help make promoting the movie easier. They clearly don't intend to just "dump" it.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, AniNate said:

Even though Indy did flop there, screening your movie at Cannes does indicate a certain faith in your product however misplaced it might be. Unlike the exhibitors at Cinemacon, critics and audiences at Cannes don't have a vested interest in your movie's success so they're more free to trash it if they feel inclined, but they can also give a more legitimate-looking appraisal and help make promoting the movie easier. They clearly don't intend to just "dump" it.

And Warner Bros., to remind everyone, came in late in the game, prior to physical production, I think, but clearly because they believed in the independently-generated project.  If they saw it only as a Costner vanity project, I don't think they would have gotten involved... especially in this Zaslav-era of shaving down studio projects to only things they truly believe can generate significant success. 

11 hours ago, emoviefan said:

Isn't he always? 🙃

9 hours ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny played at Cannes. The Ladykillers premiered at Cannes. Godzilla (2008) premiered at Cannes. A film like Horizon premiering there means absolutely nothing.

If we decide to name the good movies that played at Cannes that list would be 100x bigger. 

I mean sure it’s not a guaranteed thing, but most of the times, if it’s at Cannes, they have faith in it’s reception.

1 hour ago, ThomasNicole said:

If we decide to name the good movies that played at Cannes that list would be 100x bigger. 

I mean sure it’s not a guaranteed thing, but most of the times, if it’s at Cannes, they have faith in it’s reception.

Maybe I don't know enough about Cannes, but don't most of the good films at Cannes go there to get distribution? Or are they all already backed by studios.

As far as this movie is concerned it's not really what film festival it's screening at that matters so much as it being be more than a month before its domestic wide release. It'll essentially be a very early review embargo lift. If it is a misfire they won't be able to hide it until two days before release like certain other movies might.

47 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

Maybe I don't know enough about Cannes, but don't most of the good films at Cannes go there to get distribution? Or are they all already backed by studios.

Not necessarily, most movies does have distribution already and it’s produced by film companies. Just not the usual ones. 

They go to Cannes for visibility in most cases, win a Prize or even just screen there can help the distribution and turn the movie into a success depending on reception.

For big studios, they also want the visibility, it brings credibility, so they send movies that they believe will get good reception.

If this is bad reviewed it can kill it’s entire marketing campaign since reviews will be out a month before release. It can happen, but WB certainly doesn’t think it will.

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

>New Line’s Kevin Costner three-hour western Horizon: An American Saga “can be a $5M or a $100M movie,” per one rival.

I know the interviewee was probably just trying to secure his place in the article, but is there any precedent for something like this (an action epic by a famous actor on his turf) failing to crack double digits?

how do you even justify the 5 million number (ow or dom total irrelevant, both seem crazy); as long as its ok, I dont see why it shouldn't at least make the 150 million ww the majority of 2010 westerns did

I frankly cant see much difference between this and something like the equalizer trilogy

Edited by interiorgatordecorator