filmlover

94th Academy Awards Discussion Thread | WHAT JUST HAPPENED

Apple winning Best Picture before Netflix would be hilarious. They spent a lot on CODA (for what it is), but not nearly as much as Netflix has for its Oscar movies/acquisitions/campaigns through the years.

People are going to dismiss the SAG Ensemble win as a Hidden Figures/Black Panther thing but CODA won an acting award as well, a big difference. It only has three nominations but all above the line. I look at Oscar stats as a correlation vs causation thing. I doubt most voters look back at the Best Editing category to remind themselves what they're "allowed" to rank #1 in Best Picture.

But there's another four weeks to go, if West Side Story gets a second wind on Disney+, then it will be the new frontrunner, or Belfast if it has a good night at the BAFTAs...

• ...wtf 1

30 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Apple winning Best Picture before Netflix would be hilarious. They spent a lot on CODA (for what it is), but not nearly as much as Netflix has for its Oscar movies/acquisitions/campaigns through the years.

People are going to dismiss the SAG Ensemble win as a Hidden Figures/Black Panther thing but CODA won an acting award as well, a big difference. It only has three nominations but all above the line. I look at Oscar stats as a correlation vs causation thing. I doubt most voters look back at the Best Editing category to remind themselves what they're "allowed" to rank #1 in Best Picture.

But there's another four weeks to go, if West Side Story gets a second wind on Disney+, then it will be the new frontrunner, or Belfast if it has a good night at the BAFTAs...

None of this really makes sense.

It's not that voters consciously dismiss a film that's snubbed for a category such as Editing--it's that a film is being rejected by a certain guild/voting body. A film missing BAFTA simply indicates it won't have international support, therefore not truly an ideal consensus film. These voters are not going to rank a film they don't like highly (Directors, craftsmen, etc). Even if WSS is a streaming hit, there's far too many hurdles for it to overcome to emerge as a preferential favorite. It's truly not a coincidence that in last 41 films only 2 films won BP without Editing. Only 5 films ever in history won without a Directing nom. Just 7 without Screenplay. Since 1999, only 1 without BAFTA (and it wasn't eligible).

Belfast having a good BAFTA night doesn't mean very much when it's home-field advantage. Just look at 1917, The Father, Three Billboards, Atonement, The Queen, Promising Young Woman, The Favourite, Brooklyn, Theory of Everything, tinker Tailor, Skyfall. Nomadland is first BP winner that had BAFTA Film (as well as Globe+DGA+PGA) since 12 Years a Slave (Globe+PGA). It cannot even be prepared to King's Speech since that won all of DGA, PGA, SAG by BAFTA time. 

Also, Three Billboards and The Help won SAG Ensemble and acting but that didn't mean much for BP. Pre consensus balloting, the same issue for Little Miss Sunshine, Gosford Park, Traffic, Apollo 13. 

5 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

The power of the dog as one of the fan favourite is kind of surprising. Maybe that movie isn’t as boring as a lot think

That and tick, tick...BOOM! among the top picks goes to show that No Way Home's power is extending to the Oscar vehicles for its stars.

The damage control has begun lol.

“Every category will be celebrated on our live broadcast,” Hudson told me in explaining that the board had given permission to make unspecified changes but that the particulars and categories were chosen collectively by the producers, AMPAS executives and the awards committee. “We thought how do we preserve our values which are have all 23 awards on the show, but still allow for a three-hour show that the TV audience wants to tune into, and other ways to celebrate movies within that show? And we looked at a lot of different ideas of taking categories, and doing like the Emmys, and presenting them on another night, or another way. But, we thought If we can be the most respectful to all of our nominees and winners, how do we do that? And so, this year, a critical year where we knew we had to make changes, we worked out this plan.”

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The damage control has begun lol.

One change the Academy did which i still do not agree with was moving the Lifetime Achievement Oscar to the Governor's Ball. Still feel that those winner deserve to be celebrated with the widest audience possible since it is their biggest moment, some may never actually win a competitive Oscar due to circumstances.

4 minutes ago, grim22 said:

One change the Academy did which i still do not agree with was moving the Lifetime Achievement Oscar to the Governor's Ball. Still feel that those winner deserve to be celebrated with the widest audience possible since it is their biggest moment, some may never actually win a competitive Oscar due to circumstances.

For real Samuel L Jackson is getting it this year. i feel like people would want to see that speech. they're worried about not awarding popular stuff but they won't show the highest grossing actor of all time getting his oscar on the broadcast? ok.

• Thanks 1

Johnny Depp, Camila Cabello Fans Take Over Oscars' Fan Favorite Vote - Variety

As current Academy president David Rubin said to Deadline about these aggressive Fan Favorite campaigns, “Well, enthusiasm is enthusiasm.”

Sure Jan GIF - Sure Jan Brady - Discover & Share GIFs

Needless to say, this didn't go the way they expected (a total Marvel domination, obviously) lol.

6 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

I'm just here for the record low ratings this year.

I figured the ratings would go up because the movies have been seen more than last year's bunch, but the changes are only repelling their core fanbase. I still think there will be an increase and ABC will unfortunately feel vindicated.

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Johnny Depp, Camila Cabello Fans Take Over Oscars' Fan Favorite Vote - Variety

Sure Jan GIF - Sure Jan Brady - Discover & Share GIFs

Needless to say, this didn't go the way they expected (a total Marvel domination, obviously) lol.

I wonder if that leaderboard would have released, had Deadline not dropped the article about Cinderella and Army of the Dead being in the lead. If they are genuinely counting the votes, better to lean into it and publicly appear to embrace the idea. It reminds me of when a talentless contestant would stick around week after week on Dancing with the Stars or American Idol and people voted harder when that person got trashed. In the end, the show stops framing them as a joke and the judges start dishing out compliments, to try to make the car crash win seem slightly more respectable. "Enthusiasm", lol.

18 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

I wonder if that leaderboard would have released, had Deadline not dropped the article about Cinderella and Army of the Dead being in the lead. If they are genuinely counting the votes, better to lean into it and publicly appear to embrace the idea. It reminds me of when a talentless contestant would stick around week after week on Dancing with the Stars or American Idol and people voted harder when that person got trashed. In the end, the show stops framing them as a joke and the judges start dishing out compliments, to try to make the car crash win seem slightly more respectable. "Enthusiasm", lol.

The "Vote For the Worst" mentality never fails. The fact whoever thought this Twitter Oscar thing would be a good idea would mean an automatic win for Marvel (only to discover that stans for that franchise aren't nearly as devoted as Cabello or Snyder ones lmao).

Also the article points out how Disney movies are practically nonexistent from the category when this (and that failed Popular Oscar thing from a few years back) seemed introduced primarily to give them (and Sony-made Spider-Man) an easy win. Sing 2 over Encanto even though the latter has become a Frozen-style sensation since it began streaming? lol. I guess they can take solace in knowing that they're taking home at least one, possibly two, awards in the acting categories this year.