filmlover

Best Picture Predictions: 2022

1 hour ago, WittyUsername said:

The odds of Brad Pitt and his team admitting to any misdeeds on his part seem pretty much slim to none. They’ll probably just take a page out of a certain other actor’s playbook, and much of the Internet will rally behind him. 

As for the movies he’s producing, She Said seems like it only would’ve stood a chance  as a pat on the back moment for the Academy. Not sure about Women Talking and Blonde, though. 

Pitt's producing Blonde, too? He's just everywhere this season. 

I see his team already pushing the "She's dredging up the past!" angle, like it was well known years ago that some FBI agents wanted to arrest him and he already took the PR hit back in 2016. Angelina is a polarizing figure but also a long-time A-lister, good at shaping her image (last week, all the coverage of Angie dropping off Zahara at college while Brad was...at a Bullet Train premiere?).

But it does seem that with Hollywood, Pitt "won" the divorce and everyone there simply liked him more than Angelina, and that goes a long way. We will see...

• Like 1

Babylon (1.) 

Bardo (5.) 

Elvis (8.) 

Everything Everywhere All At Once (3.) 

The Fabelmans (2.) 

The Son (9.) 

TAR (6.) 

Top Gun: Maverick (7.) 

White Noise (10.) 

Women Talking (4.) 

This is starting to feel like a strong lineup for me.

White Noise might be the vulnerable one, but it's Netflix and Venice+NY. It's a highbrow appealing film in a year with a lot of sequels and genre films... never a good match for the Academy. The Son is also low-tier considering it's skipping Telluride and SPC has given a frankly stronger festival run to Living. Following The Father creates heightened expectations. TAR is the #1 for Focus with a comeback narrative for Field and a buzzy role for Blanchett. I flip-flopped on Elvis but it's a box office smash, the audience scores are fine, and it's going to have a decent precursor run. Butler has emerged as a major contender to win Actor and it's WB's biggest film unless Don't Worry Darling overdelivers.

ALTERNATES:

Triangle of Sadness- I think it's borderline but could have gone to Telluride. Critics might be snarky after the Palme win.

The Whale- doesn't have a great festival run, A24 has Everything Everywhere, Aronofsky is divisive, play adaptations can miss here

She Said- doesn't feel like a BP nom with just an NYFF premiere. Plan B has Women Talking. Universal has The Fabelmans

Glass Onion- too many sequels, can it live up to the first? Watch out for Monae and Screenplay

Avatar- too many sequels, can it live up to the first?

Black Panther- too many sequels, can it live up to the first

Empire of Light- can't rule out Searchlight but mediocre test audience reception. Feels like missed bait, Mendes doesn't have a great track record. Will it be any of a crowdpleaser, box office hit, critical favorite (probably not)

• Like 2

Official schedule for TIFF has been revealed. Here are the dates as to when reactions will be coming in for key movies making their world premieres there:

September 8: The Inspection

September 9: Bros, The Woman King

September 10: Causeway, The Fabelmans, Glass Onion, The Menu

September 11: Chevalier, The Good Nurse, My Policeman

September 12: Devotion

September 13: The Greatest Beer Run Ever

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Audience Award predictions:

1. The Fabelmans

2. Bros

3. Women Talking

ALT: Glass Onion

The Whale and The Son both suspiciously lack multiple public screenings. Huge red flag.

Most public screenings: (non press/industry)

The Fabelmans- 5

Glass Onion- 5

Banshees of Inisherin- 4

Bros- 4

Eternal Daughter- 4

Good Nurse- 4

My Policeman- 4

Women Talking- 4

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Audience Award predictions:

1. The Fabelmans

2. Bros

3. Women Talking

ALT: Glass Onion

The Whale and The Son both suspiciously lack multiple public screenings. Huge red flag.

Most public screenings: (non press/industry)

The Fabelmans- 5

Glass Onion- 5

Banshees of Inisherin- 4

Bros- 4

Eternal Daughter- 4

Good Nurse- 4

My Policeman- 4

Women Talking- 4

Theyre not world premieres so it makes sense.

30 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Theyre not world premieres so it makes sense.

But they're both skipping Telluride after Venice which is another red flag. The Whale has the most likes on the TIFFR yet nobody is going to see it. 

Banshees, Eternal Daughter, Women Talking are not world premieres either but even they have double the screenings, so I doubt that is a reason

26 minutes ago, filmlover said:

The trailer for TAR is out and I dunno about its chances beyond Cate. Doesn't seem very accessible tbh (and will likely make very little at the box office).

It'll be a highbrow contender of the year and focus top player. Field can surely crack the directing lineup too

Here's when to expect reactions/reviews for key Venice titles btw:

August 31: White Noise

September 1: Bardo, TAR

2: Bones & All

3: Master Gardener, Pearl

4: The Banshees of Inisherin, The Whale

5: Don't Worry Darling

6: Dead for a Dollar, The Eternal Daughter

7: Dreamin' Wild, The Son

8: Blonde

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

Quick Pre-Fest Predictions

Picture

Babylon

Bros

Everything Everywhere All At Once

Fabelmans

Glass Onion

Killers of the Flower Moon

Tar

Till

Top Gun Maverick

Director

James Cameron

Damien Chazelle

The Daniels

Martin Scorcese

Steve Spielberg

Actor

Austin Butler, Elvis

Tom Cruise, Top Gun Maverick

Hugh Jackman, The Son

Jeremy Pope, The Inspection

Bill Nighy, Living

Actress

Cate Blanchett, Tar

Danielle Deadwyler, Till

Lily Gladstone, Killers of the Flower Moon

Margot Robbie, Babylon

Michelle Yeoh, Everything Everywhere All At Once

Supporting Actor

Paul Dano, The Fablemans

Zen McCarth, The Son

Brad Pitt, Babylon

Jesse Plemons, Killers of the Flower Moon

Key Hey Quan, Everything Everywhere All At Once

Supporting Actress

Laura Dern, The Son

Zoe Kazan, She Said

Janelle Monae, Glass Onion

Jean Smart, Babylon

Gabrielle Union, The Inspection

7 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

Quick Pre-Fest Predictions

Picture

Babylon

Bros

Everything Everywhere All At Once

Fabelmans

Glass Onion

Killers of the Flower Moon

Tar

Till

Top Gun Maverick

Director

James Cameron

Damien Chazelle

The Daniels

Martin Scorcese

Steve Spielberg

Actor

Austin Butler, Elvis

Tom Cruise, Top Gun Maverick

Hugh Jackman, The Son

Jeremy Pope, The Inspection

Bill Nighy, Living

Actress

Cate Blanchett, Tar

Danielle Deadwyler, Till

Lily Gladstone, Killers of the Flower Moon

Margot Robbie, Babylon

Michelle Yeoh, Everything Everywhere All At Once

Supporting Actor

Paul Dano, The Fablemans

Zen McCarth, The Son

Brad Pitt, Babylon

Jesse Plemons, Killers of the Flower Moon

Key Hey Quan, Everything Everywhere All At Once

Supporting Actress

Laura Dern, The Son

Zoe Kazan, She Said

Janelle Monae, Glass Onion

Jean Smart, Babylon

Gabrielle Union, The Inspection

Flower Moon is officially 2023.

17 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

I'm not quite ready to take it out - think it still might surprise and the sourcing on those stories is eh.

I dunno, I feel like they would've definitely debunked that by now if it were (since all the Fall/Holiday Movie Preview issues are being released at the moment). The Wolf of Wall Street reportedly nearly didn't make it to 2013 but the studio was already promoting it that summer so there were already plenty of indications of it making the cut. Silence also didn't start its official marketing campaign until really late but I don't remember if that was due to reports of Marty working on it until the last minute or the studio trying to figure out a strategy as to how to market a difficult-to-sell movie (considering how little impact it ended up making on the public, would lean more towards the latter).

58 minutes ago, Eric the Shark said:

Is there really Oscar hype for Bros, or is this just for the fun of it?

Universal sent it to TIFF. they're assuming it can place for the audience award and test screening reactions have been great. If it takes off at box office and gets hype and support from the LGBT community, there's a path for it (Globe + WGA + Comedy ACE which alone helps it for the PGA nom). I think ultimately it'll miss since Universal has the Spielberg movie, though, but maybe Screenplay in the end ala Big Sick or Bridesmaids

Bros is definitely, at best, Universal's #3 push should it end up with awards buzz (behind drama contenders The Fabelmans and She Said). Maybe a Globes thing (key word being "maybe" since they've always been mostly averse to Apatow's brand of comedies and who knows what this "new and improved" HFPA will go for), but that's it unless the movie becomes a too-big-to-ignore sensation (although we already have Everything Everywhere and Top Gun scratching that particular itch) and/or contenders start to drop like flies.

Edited by filmlover

18 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Universal sent it to TIFF. they're assuming it can place for the audience award and test screening reactions have been great. If it takes off at box office and gets hype and support from the LGBT community, there's a path for it (Globe + WGA + Comedy ACE which alone helps it for the PGA nom). I think ultimately it'll miss since Universal has the Spielberg movie, though, but maybe Screenplay in the end ala Big Sick or Bridesmaids

I mean...I guess? And I can see a Screenplay nom. But like you said, Universal has higher priorities and something like Bridesmaids, which had way more going for it, couldn't land Best Picture. This getting to BP feels like a stretch IMO.