filmlover

Best Picture Predictions: 2022

It's gonna be a bloodbath between all these popular sequels.

Knives Out 2 - already getting amazing reviews.

TG2

Black panther 2 - let's see, but that trailer was amazing.

Avatar 2 - It's Jim, so you know it's gonna be great

Not all these will be nominated. I wonder if The Academy will snub TG2 and/or Avatar 2.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Maggie said:

It's gonna be a bloodbath between all these popular sequels.

Knives Out 2 - already getting amazing reviews.

TG2

Black panther 2 - let's see, but that trailer was amazing.

Avatar 2 - It's Jim, so you know it's gonna be great

Not all these will be nominated. I wonder if The Academy will snub TG2 and/or Avatar 2.

knives out 2 has the exact same reviews as #1

4 hours ago, Maggie said:

...and the first one wasn't nominated. I get it. I wonder tho which of these four will be nominated. It can't be all four

If I had to rank most likely to least likely

TG2

Glass onion

BP2

Ratings may change at least 3 will get in and it all comes down to who Chapek wants to put his money on. If BP2 gets stronger reviews than avatar 2 then it gets the slot.

On paper Avatar is probably the easiest sell to the Academy since the original was clearly a Top 5 contender that year, but Top Gun is the one most likely to appeal to older members, who still make up a majority of voters. Knives Out and Black Panther have bigger hurdles to overcome: the former's predecessor only received a Screenplay nomination despite being one of the bigger box office success stories that year and as we all know, this one will see a 100% decrease due to the fact it's barely going to play in theaters, while the latter was clearly in the bottom half of that year's Picture nominees and the sequel is going to have expectations placed upon it that are partially due to circumstances beyond their control. With the way contenders have been dropping like flies left and right, it's not outside the realm of possibility all four get nominated if everything goes right for them, but I wouldn't bet on it happening in the end.

30 minutes ago, Reddroast said:

What's keeping avatar 2 and top gun 2 off the list?

they spent months years in the top gun 2 thread going "hmmm, aw jeez i dunno maybe this movie won't do so well" and that obviously didn't pay off so they've moved the act here.

So top gun is winning best picture.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Maggie said:

Guys, i loved the movie and i want it nominated, but i have doubts. There's just too much competition between  the popular movies. They can't nominate them all

It’s more likely to win best picture than not get nominated lmfao

• Astonished 1

Top Gun is arguably one of the safer movies at this point between being considered a huge achievement (the rare sequel that definitely surpasses the original) and becoming such a sensation following a few years worth of delays, in what's looking to be a very unusual year in terms of contenders. IMO we have a pretty clear 7 spots taken already (Babylon, Banshees, Everything Everywhere, Fabelmans, TAR, Top Gun, Women Talking) and three spots open that could go to a combination of only a handful of movies that still seem to have a somewhat realistic shot (Avatar, Black Panther, Elvis, Glass Onion, She Said, The Whale, The Woman King). Everything else is either already proven to be a nonstarter or unlikely to have the passion necessary to survive another four months until nominations.

• Like 1

On 9/19/2022 at 5:06 PM, CoolioD1 said:

they spent months years in the top gun 2 thread going "hmmm, aw jeez i dunno maybe this movie won't do so well" and that obviously didn't pay off so they've moved the act here.

So top gun is winning best picture.

21 hours ago, TMP said:

It’s more likely to win best picture than not get nominated lmfao

vince-mcmahon-money.gif

• Like 1

Yeah honestly I'm thinking a Top Gun win's gonna happen. Both in a "the Oscar bait movies did pretty trash this year" perspective and in a "vote for the cultural phenomenon that represents everything great about movies" perspective. Honestly, it's been a while since we've had a Titanic/Return of the King-style Best Picture win and the wait has been long enough to do it again, especially to something nobody will really object to.

Top Gun will need to pick up something above the tech line to have a shot at winning, but it's hard to imagine where it would easily be nominated. Actor? A question of "will Tom campaign?" Director? Kosinski did a great job but it's no secret Cruise was the strongest creative voice behind the movie. Adapted Screenplay? It's a dead category this year, but I doubt any of the sequels make it besides Glass Onion (both Avatar and Black Panther were snubbed in Screenplay their respective years). My Ford v Ferrari comparison from earlier still stands, just replace the second Sound category with Original Song.

7 hours ago, The Eric King said:

Honestly, it's been a while since we've had a Titanic/Return of the King-style Best Picture win and the wait has been long enough to do it again, especially to something nobody will really object to.

Film Twitter strenuously objects to being called "nobody", LOL. It would be wild if Spielberg makes his Most Personal Movie Ever and loses to a summer blockbuster, of all things. As much as a Top Gun movie would be a departure from recent Oscar trends, the first Best Picture winner was Wings...