filmlover

Best Picture Predictions: 2022

4 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Is Austin Butler actually going to win after all? Jackman doesn't make a lot of sense to me

God, 2023 already looks better

Butler with Domingo as the spoiler. Jackman will probably be a Cumberbatch-like nomination: fictional lead of a top BP contender that wins some critics groups but not anything industry-related.

Edited by WrathOfHan

Just now, filmlover said:

Prayer circle for Academy Award Nominee Winner Colman Domingo to become a reality with a juicy biopic role.

I think the big issue with Rustin is probability it's not a BP nominee. Netflix already has huge contenders with Bardo, White Noise, then Knives Out and Pinocchio. And I doubt Dustin Lance Black's ability to write a well-received movie again and the director really underperformed at Oscars with Ma Rainey

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

Austin Butler

Colman Domingo

Hugh Jackman

Colin Firth
Leonardo DiCaprio

Would be my guess rn. On paper, Actor is the least competitive lineup this year.

I wonder if Paramount will take advantage of the barren field by pushing Cruise. Probably not (since I doubt he'll be interested in campaigning).

Just now, filmlover said:

I wonder if Paramount will take advantage of the barren field by pushing Cruise. Probably not (since I doubt he'll be interested in campaigning).

They'll have someone from Babylon to push; Cruise is more a matter of the film itself taking off in BP.

Also The Whale moving to next year feels like confirmation A24 is gonna put most of their muscle behind pushing Everything Everywhere.

Most of the studios seem to be locking in dates for their contenders now (Focus still hasn't given Armageddon Time a release date even though it's been seen at Cannes so I wonder if they're also saving it for an early 2023 release). I imagine Searchlight is planning on giving Sam Mendes' Empire of Light the December spot.

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Also The Whale moving to next year feels like confirmation A24 is gonna put most of their muscle behind pushing Everything Everywhere.

Most of the studios seem to be locking in dates for their contenders now (Focus still hasn't given Armageddon Time a release date even though it's been seen at Cannes so I wonder if they're also saving it for an early 2023 release). I imagine Searchlight is planning on giving Sam Mendes' Empire of Light the December spot.

With Asteroid City in 2023, it's happening.

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

With Asteroid City in 2023, it's happening.

I don't think Asteroid City is Searchlight. Searchlight has Twitter accounts for all their 2022 and 2023 movies yet nothing for Asteroid City. I can't find evidence of this. Maybe Searchlight and Wes split up. He did just finish a different movie for Netflix

A24 says Whale is in 2022, so you guys can move Fraser back in.

Not for nothing and this is like fourth-hand from a twitter thread of people I know, but I hear the lead dude in Empire of Light (Ward, not Firth) is legit. But that's very fourth hand, like I said.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SLAM! said:

https://www.worldofreel.com/blog/2022/7/x64jwuwds3g95sd2gictum091t4iy4

Next Goal Wins has been delayed to 2023.

This makes key categories like Best Actor and Best Adapted Screenplay a little more open.

I feel like this movie and Red, White & Water with Jennifer Lawrence are in a competition as to which project that was originally shot in 2019 will finally see the light of day first.

• Haha 1

I feel like if The Whale makes it out this year and Fraser delivers, he has a BIG narrative to win. Mind the pun. People have been rooting for his redemption and comeback for a while now, and even after this season of Stranger Things, Sadie Sink is riding a high wave too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ezen Baklattan said:

I feel like if The Whale makes it out this year and Fraser delivers, he has a BIG narrative to win. Mind the pun. People have been rooting for his redemption and comeback for a while now, and even after this season of Stranger Things, Sadie Sink is riding a high wave too.

Do you think people in the industry want him to win an Oscar, though? I think it's mostly just people who remember his 90s movies who want him to succeed.

7 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Do you think people in the industry want him to win an Oscar, though? I think it's mostly just people who remember his 90s movies who want him to succeed.

He just booked roles in Aronofsky, Scorsese, and a Batman movie. The industry seems to be rooting for him. And he hasn't burned bridges like Mickey Rourke

• Like 1