Eric Furiosa

President's Day Weekend Thread: Uncharted 3.7 Previews, Dog 1.26

12 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

What are you even saying? 😂 I think you’ve completely misread my post, and the information. 

I’m not implying people aren’t coming back, I just think his tweet was a bit hyperbolic and dramatic. The amount of women over 25 that went to see Dog isn’t that much more than those who went to see Death on the Nile last week. Dog is a hit and a welcome, surprise one, but it’s not a sign of a gigantic leap in recovery for that audience. 

edit: and read again: I said 77% of Nile’s audience were over 25. Not that they were all women. 

How is it hyperbolic and dramatic when women are literally coming back?

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, CJohn said:

I tend to agree with someone that said here in this thread that people aren't going because of COVID, but because of an irreparable change of habits caused by the pandemic and the simultaneous/short window releases.

I think it’s a combo of everything that has conditioned audiences. Streaming has made audiences more convenient meaning they can get quality adult or original programming instantly. Media is consumed much quicker now so there’s an immediate demand for a Netflix miniseries as it goes viral during weekend. Disney and IP craze has monetized and engulfed the theatrical landscape becoming the true event films. There’s a familiarity in Scream 5 or Spider-Man 17 or the 4th Batman reboot, therefore people are more willing to adventure out because there’s little risk of disappointment. The spoiler culture and repackaging of nostalgia on grand scales make them must see theatrical experiences. In the inflated age of the virus and newscycles, people will be wiser about how they spend money, and going to the bar or restaurant, etc is an experience that cannot be replicated, while watching a movie at home can. Especially if it’s a drama or comedy, etc. 

I also believe the ugly digital color grading and compression of media nowadays damaged the audience. Many films don’t look visually appealing anymore. And even when they do, it’s still not a guarantee of theatrical success unless they’re promising an exciting experience like Dune did. That also means Star power has taken a hit, so it’s refreshing when someone like Channing Tatum opens Dog over 15million.

• Like 1

Uncharted is the 4th biggest OW of the pandemic era here, behind F9 (the difference between both is less than 1.000 tickets), NTTD and NWH. It destroyed Venom, Dune and Eternals.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Uncharted is the 4th biggest OW of the pandemic era here, behind F9 (the difference between both is less than 1.000 tickets), NTTD and NWH. It destroyed Venom, Dune and Eternals.

Holland is a legit draw IMO, at least internationally. May need another hit under his belt to truly cement that domestically. 

He needs to find his La La Land. How's that Wicked movie doing casting its Fiyero?

10 minutes ago, snarkmachine said:

Holland is a legit draw IMO, at least internationally. May need another hit under his belt to truly cement that domestically. 

He needs to find his La La Land. How's that Wicked movie doing casting its Fiyero?

I had a feeling it would do well overseas but I've still been surprised by how WELL it's going. In more than one place it's outdoing even pandemic era MCU properties. I think he's just been unlucky with some of his past non MCU releases.  He's talented and people want to see him in all sorts of things, if twitter is anything to go by. His most viral stuff has to do with his dancing and people are ready to see him in lighter non-action fare. 

If Sony can pull off the Fred Astaire biopic they might hit a goldmine.. as long as it doesn't go too serious in the name of Oscar baiting. Some fans are hoping they get Florence Pugh as Ginger, which would be a great idea for a dozen reasons (acclaimed, MCU adjacent, also a dancer). 

5 minutes ago, thedast said:

I had a feeling it would do well overseas but I've still been surprised by how WELL it's going. In more than one place it's outdoing even pandemic era MCU properties. I think he's just been unlucky with some of his past non MCU releases.  He's talented and people want to see him in all sorts of things, if twitter is anything to go by. His most viral stuff has to do with his dancing and people are ready to see him in lighter non-action fare. 

If Sony can pull off the Fred Astaire biopic they might hit a goldmine.. as long as it doesn't go too serious in the name of Oscar baiting. Some fans are hoping they get Florence Pugh as Ginger, which would be a great idea for a dozen reasons (acclaimed, MCU adjacent, also a dancer). 

I was just thinking how Sony has been at Tom Holland's side for like 7 years already. He was hired for Spider-Man back in 2015 and somehow Sony has always been with him since then. Spider-Man trilogy (plus 3 other MCU movies), then Uncharted, Fred Astaire biopic. He has signed for another 3 Spider-Man movies, now we'll get almost for sure another Uncharted...he won't be leaving them any time soon. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Derby Legion said:

Women returned to the theater when like $350M of them went to see NWH :redcapes:

This is ridiculous, it’s strange anytime something that isn’t MCU is praised you immediately discredit it. It’s as if you’re insecure about any other film getting Spotlight during the weekend 

Its just weird how it’s been statistically proven that the older demo of women have been the most hesitant regarding moviegoing, and as soon as we see some genuine activity of them boosting a movie, a little light at the tunnel, the progress is immediately discredited. 

It’s definitely worth noting and being optimistic when a specific genre or film that doesn’t have giant 4-quadrant appeal gets its intended demographic overperform when said demo been inconsistent in their moviegoing habits in last year. If that doesn’t show promise and raise the profile of other similar films such as Lost City, what does?

Edited by BestPicturePlutoNash
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, thedast said:

It's funny because I don't think he's even naturally suited for the action hero stuff. He strikes me as more of a Tom Hanks everyman than a Tom Cruise action star and if he can find the right project to tap into that Hanks energy, he can truly be a crossover star. The action stuff is obviously working on some level and proving insanely lucrative for though.

The Astaire biopic sounds lame but maybe I'm biased against biopics. I don't know what musicals are in development right now but every studio exec trying to make one should be calling him up and offering him a role. I can easily see a West Side Story with Holland instead of Elgort making 10x what it actually made.

Look it’s just a brute mathematical fact that NWH is the movie women returned to the cinema for far more than any other. As krissykin was trying to point out initially here — looking at the % can be kind of misleading in terms of the “is x demo returning to cinemas” question (which is perhaps not a good a good question on the first place).    

If a movie opened to 120M with 70% women, I think there is an understandable kneejerk reaction to view that as a movie bringing women back to theaters or whatever… but the only difference between that and a 210M opener with 40% women is the missing $90M from men. Bringing more women out and bringing a higher % of women out are very different. The stuff that actually gets xyz demo butts in seats in real numbers is your 4quad megablockbusters more than stuff targeted specifically to xyz demo.   

Sorry you seem so touchy about this @BestPicturePlutoNash but it is what it is so you’re probably not going to get people to stop bringing it up 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Derby Legion
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Derby Legion said:

Look it’s just a brute mathematical fact that NWH is the movie women returned to the cinema for far more than any other. As krissykin was trying to point out initially here — looking at the % can be kind of misleading in terms of the “is x demo returning to cinemas” question (which is perhaps not a good a good question on the first place).    

If a movie opened to 120M with 70% women, I think there is an understandable kneejerk reaction to view that as a movie bringing women back to theaters or whatever… but the only difference between that and a 210M opener with 40% women is the missing $90M from men. The stuff that actually gets xyz demo butts in seats in real numbers is your 4quad megablockbusters more than stuff targeted specifically to xyz demo.   

Sotry you seem so touchy about this @BestPicturePlutoNash but it is what it is so you’re probably not going to get people to stop bringing it up 🤷‍♂️

In the other posters defense, women probably returned to watch with others - they were likely not the "driving force" to go.

What hasn't returned is seeing women be a driving force to push a movie to popularity.  Especially 35+ women.  Oscar movie performances, and most adult dramas are showing that continuing loss.  So, Dog is a ray of light for their return on "their own terms"...still not great, but every step helps...we've broken the $4-7M open 2021 adult movie barrier lately...now, we need to push it higher...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 4

30 minutes ago, TiagoRodrigues said:

I was just thinking how Sony has been at Tom Holland's side for like 7 years already. He was hired for Spider-Man back in 2015 and somehow Sony has always been with him since then. Spider-Man trilogy (plus 3 other MCU movies), then Uncharted, Fred Astaire biopic. He has signed for another 3 Spider-Man movies, now we'll get almost for sure another Uncharted...he won't be leaving them any time soon. 

Sony has both Tom’s locked down.. Hardy isn’t going anywhere either.

Edited by VENOM

1 minute ago, Derby Legion said:

If a movie opened to 120M with 70% women, I think there is an understandable kneejerk reaction to view that as a movie bringing women back to theaters or whatever… but the only difference between that and a 210M opener with 40% women is the missing $90M from men. The stuff that actually gets xyz demo butts in seats in real numbers is your 4quad megablockbusters more than stuff targeted specifically to xyz demo.   

Sotry you seem so touchy about this @BestPicturePlutoNash but it is what it is so you’re probably not going to get people to stop bringing it up 🤷‍♂️

If you can’t understand the difference between a superhero movie that largely appeals to men and an original drama that largely appeals to women, an apple and oranges comparison…Yeah of course the 2nd biggest movie ever has sold more tickets but we’re not talking about that. It would have been a hit regardless, post the age and demo breakdowns. (This would also disprove Krissy’s message that saying women will return to theaters is hyperbole no?). Yes Spider-Man helps but I mean, you’re talking ‘butts in seats”, “real numbers” but failing to note that Dog has put up better 3day numbers than any recent drama or film of its kind.. which is the REAL context/comparison because similar adult-female skewing movies have suffered in last year. That’s all the tweet was referring to. That these movies still have life in them, that the largely female adult demographic that is necessary to their success more than any other film is still interested. Like, why do you care about a “knee-jerk” reaction about a smaller movie doing well and furthering more progress in an overall box office recovery? 

Sorry you seem so touchy about No Way Home not getting 100% of box office headlines but it is what it is so you’re probably not going to get people to stop bringing it up.

• Like 2
  • Knock It Off 1

15 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

In the other posters defense, women probably returned to watch with others - they were likely not the "driving force" to go.

What hasn't returned is seeing women be a driving force to push a movie to popularity.  Especially 35+ women.  Oscar movie performances, and most adult dramas are showing that continuing loss.  So, Dog is a ray of light for their return on "their own terms"...still not great, but every step helps...we've broken the $4-7M open 2021 adult movie barrier lately...now, we need to push it higher...

Literally this. Thank you. 

Something like Spider-Man is a success regardless of women turnout. Dog is not. So it’s important the most inconsistent moviegoing demo shows up for both (especially the latter). It boosts the former and literally helps keep the latter alive and sustainable. It’s how we will receive a healthy marketplace as close to pre-COVID as possible. Will also encourage studios and give them hope about their content, all these positive headlines about a non-IP doing well and reluctant audiences re-conditioning themselves theatrically especially after the bad year they had in 2021. That’s all. A sigh of relief. Didn’t realize that would be controversial or debate.

Edited by BestPicturePlutoNash
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Sorry you seem so touchy about No Way Home not getting 100% of box office headlines but it is what it is so you’re probably not going to get people to stop bringing it up.

Lol, so juvenile. It’s really kind of hilarious at this point.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Unsurprisingly Sony was a tad optimistic for both of then. That Sunday hold for NWH was a ridiculous expectation. Hopefully today is on point or better. 

Wait aren't these Sunday numbers? 2.6 will be a very strong Sunday hold. 

Edited by Tokugennumataka