Eric is Anxious

Despicable Me 4 | July 3, 2024

100m 5 day is pretty close to what DM3 did Fri-Tue with July 4th on its first Tuesday. And that was 2 years after a minions movie blew up bigger than anyone thought it could be as well. I had downgraded my own expectations with inside out doing as well as it is, DM3 only had Cars 3 to deal with, but Keyser just posted in the B&T thread he thinks it looks like 110 for 5 days so I guess that neighborhood is still a good estimate. 

On 6/14/2024 at 5:25 AM, Eric is Anxious said:

That Variety review really makes it clear I'll have a bad time. These Illumination sequels always feel like a bunch of TV episodes stitched together, and I hate that.

That, and the Minions have lost a lot of their freshness; the shtick has gotten old, like every shtick must.

Oh, it will do well at the box office; Illumination is good at selling medicore and at times downright lousy movies to audiences, but I suspect it will not do  I02 numbers.

Edited by dudalb

I just realized illumination doesn't have anything else on the schedule until the Mario continuation in April 2026. Uni really relying on DreamWorks the next two years after this. I suspect they might be starting to feel the heat of diminishing returns after Migration and are doing some reorganizing.

On 6/19/2024 at 5:23 AM, AniNate said:

I just realized illumination doesn't have anything else on the schedule until the Mario continuation in April 2026. Uni really relying on DreamWorks the next two years after this. I suspect they might be starting to feel the heat of diminishing returns after Migration and are doing some reorganizing.

With their low budgets  they are not feeling any heat..Migration probably made a small profit..

• Like 1

I think the biggest problems is, the movie's cast started their press tour last week on late night shows, but all that was immediately eclipsed by Inside Out 2. I think Universal made a mistake trying to get ahead of that film, when today, people need to be reminded of the film heavily in its final week before release.

2 hours ago, Hades said:

With their low budgets  they are not feeling any heat..Migration probably made a small profit..

Yeah but still grossed a lot less than their usual movies. I do wonder if that original Pharrell musical they were planning is still happening or if they've just decided to shift to alternating between Minions and Nintendo IP

43 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

I think the biggest problems is, the movie's cast started their press tour last week on late night shows, but all that was immediately eclipsed by Inside Out 2. I think Universal made a mistake trying to get ahead of that film, when today, people need to be reminded of the film heavily in its final week before release.

I don’t DM4 will be affected too much, but wow, the tides really shifted in the past month, especially the past week. We went from “DM4 will be the biggest film of the summer/year and possibly the only billion dollar grosser” to “How will IO2’s success affect DM4? Could Moana 2 make a billion? Will D&W make a billion?”

On 6/14/2024 at 7:25 AM, Eric is Anxious said:

That Variety review really makes it clear I'll have a bad time. These Illumination sequels always feel like a bunch of TV episodes stitched together, and I hate that.

The first Despicable Me movie is the only illumination film I really had a good time watching.  The others were either fine, bad, or a Dr. Seuss adaptation.

Guys, Migration was without a doubt a hit.  It made back over 4 times its budget with over 40% being domestic.  Illumination is not suffering from it.  

• Like 1

FWIW Despicable Me 3 showed signs of a diminishing returns franchise 7 years ago (it might've even sold less admissions than the first movie did 7 summers earlier than that) without facing a juggernaut like this is opening in the shadow of but Minions 2 blew up two years back, perhaps just as much due to its competition being nonevents as the Gentleminions phenomenon (will that particular lightning strike twice here?). Only time will tell if Inside Out 2 stole the thunder for this.

Despicable Me 4 will absolutely be fine. One if the highest grossers of the year.

I don’t think Gentleminions can happen again. Trends like that don’t really happen twice, especially for teens who change trends on a whim. Plus the whole thing was “Me and the boys wanna do something fun together after Covid”

And even though it’s rated R, Deadpool & Wolverine will target the teen boys/young male audience a few weeks later.