Eric Furiosa

THE BATMAN WEEKEND THREAD | 134M OW DOM, 258.2M WW | Biggest WB opening since BvS. First non Disney-affiliated 100M OW since 2018

4 minutes ago, Villain Legion said:

The only one of these that looks todo over 100M is doing so via director as IP. Kind of proves their point.

Have you ever complimented an non-IP? Why does a film need to do over 100m domestic to be a success with a fine budget? 

I mean, the fact that Fox won't even release the new Alien proves that even studios are uncertain about even their properties and IPs, so how does any of this prove his point? Not sure how I Am Legend 2 to is "likely" to be a success

If anything, what you're saying is... give budgets to directors with proven original hits... which would prove my point

Edited by BestPicturePlutoNash

Just now, excel1 said:

Obviously that $21.6m number is not good. Not flop territory but not good.  We'll see where it ends but this should be pretty alarming for "adult tentpole" films. The market is empty, awareness is huge, brand IP is as good as it gets basically, product quality is excellent. This should be doing more.

Maybe your expectations were just out of whack about what this movie should be doing. Everyone keeps talking about awareness/hype etc and while this movie definitely had hype the trailer views and likes are in the same range as Shang Chi, and Eternals has way more views. 

Unfortunately it seems like some of you saw NWH numbers and somehow thought just cause the market is open for Batman that it should be putting up insane numbers when nothing really suggested it would. 

4 minutes ago, cax16 said:

Maybe your expectations were just out of whack about what this movie should be doing. Everyone keeps talking about awareness/hype etc and while this movie definitely had hype the trailer views and likes are in the same range as Shang Chi, and Eternals has way more views. 

Unfortunately it seems like some of you saw NWH numbers and somehow thought just cause the market is open for Batman that it should be putting up insane numbers when nothing really suggested it would. 

No, it is more like the characters track record is basically as good as it gets. TDK and TDKR did/would have set the admissions record just 10 years ago.

A solo, well-received Batman with a proper marketing and open market  is basically going to match  R-rated, actionless emo-drama JOKER admissions plus a minor, 5-10%-ish increase. That is ridiculous, lets be real. 

Edited by excel1
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Obviously that $21.6m number is not good. Not flop territory but not good.  It is almost certainly going to come in below the $150m ballpark everyone has been throwing around. We'll see where it ends but this should be pretty alarming for "adult tentpole" films. The market is empty, awareness is huge, brand IP is as good as it gets basically, product quality is excellent. It is tough to say this is saturation, either. Yes, TDK films are iconic to this day, but they are 10 years old, nobody saw JL, BvS was 6 years ago. "Dark" Batman films are what have been popular in the past. 

This should be doing more. Can't help but think that, given the teens/young adults who loved TDK films are now approaching or in mid age, a sizable chunk of this films audience - like THE MATRIX or NO TIME TO DIE - is simply 100% out of the routine of going to movie theaters. No idea how studios intend to combat this, either. Batman has yet to make in-roads with much of the younger movie-goers who flocked to NWH or even UNCHARTED. 

Bruh, you had the most Sky-high expectations of probably anyone on the entire internet. Batman is doing fine, it’s okay.

Just now, excel1 said:

No, it is more like the characters track record is basically as good as it gets. TDK and TDKR did/would have set the admissions record just 10 years ago. R-rated, action less amp-drama JOKER ow inflates to like $110m right now. Predicting just $10m more for a solo, well-received Batman with a proper marketing and open market sounds absurd. There is no other way to put it.

The Batman is basically going to match Joker admissions plus a minor, 10%-ish increase. That is ridiculous, its be real.

It’s not, this is a reboot of Batman. And it’s following Snyder’s era, Not Nolan’s. Batman isn’t what it used to be. He’s been overtaken by the likes of Thor and Dr.Strange. You’ll get the big breakout you want for a sequel but the numbers you’re looking for were just never gonna happen. Especially when this isn’t exactly a family friendly movie. 

Just now, cax16 said:

Batman isn’t what it used to be.

I mean, this is exactly the basis of the disappointment, right? So I don’t see why what you’re saying should stop people from being disappointed with the weekend!

I've made my points already about Batman but I also have to say.. I think people still don't grasp exactly how difficult 200m is lol. It happened first time 10 years ago... and I'm not even sure TDKR would have done it but it's wrongful to speculate given circumstances. Just 8 times.. 6 were Disney releases which is just incomprehensible levels of marketing and theatrical strangleghold. One is in partnership with said Disney character. And the other (Jurassic World) is one of the most surprising performances ever. I guess you could argue The Batman should have operated similarly but JW was a nostalgia fest among other things. And not even the sequel came close. 

The highest WB opening remains Deathly Hollows Part 2 with 169m. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, excel1 said:

No, it is more like the characters track record is basically as good as it gets. TDK and TDKR did/would have set the admissions record just 10 years ago. R-rated, action less amp-drama JOKER ow inflates to like $110m right now. Predicting just $10m more for a solo, well-received Batman with a proper marketing and open market sounds absurd. There is no other way to put it.

The Batman is basically going to match Joker admissions plus a minor, 10%-ish increase. That is ridiculous, its be real.

Joker is easily as big an attraction as Batman.  If he’d been in this movie you could have added maybe 20% to the opening. 

Anything over $110 million is very good. 
No point comparing it to Spider-Man. That was the third movie, and a culmination of all the films from over 20 years. No point treating a new Batman like a sequel. I don’t recall you judging Batman Begins like this, and look how that trilogy turned out. 

Also I did read last pages. All of them. Donno why.

No its not disappointing. It was opening 110-135 which isn't all that less from Homecoming adjusted numbers, and that had Iron Man in it.

Also also, March is empty and WOM isn't bad so it will have strong legs.

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

I've made my points already about Batman but I also have to say.. I think people still don't grasp exactly how difficult 200m is lol. It happened first time 10 years ago... and I'm not even sure TDKR would have done it but it's wrongful to speculate given circumstances. Just 8 times.. 6 were Disney releases which is just incomprehensible levels of marketing and theatrical strangleghold. One is in partnership with said Disney character. And the other (Jurassic World) is one of the most surprising performances ever. I guess you could argue The Batman should have operated similarly but JW was a nostalgia fest among other things. And not even the sequel came close. 

The highest WB opening remains Deathly Hollows Part 2 with 169m. 

$200m is no doubt difficult, but an equal amount of aren't grasping Batman's theatrical track record. 

TDK broke every record in existence and is the most influential individual film of the millennium. TDKR - aside from the epic buzzkill massacre, TDKR didn't have 3D at a time when it was shockingly huge. Hollywood Reporter says Avengers did $170m in normal sales and then earned $37m from 3D uncharges. 3D added 22% to Avengers opening weekend. TDKR, no shooting, is looking at $190m ish w/o 3D. Add 22% to that and you have $235m in 2012 dollars. FORCE AWAKENS opening would have been BELOW TDKR with inflation . Yes, TDKR hype was immense, but still. This is going to drop like 55% of those admissions. That is terrible.

Under normal conditions, TDK and TDKR both set the admissions records. This is a remarkable drop in admissions and given the context, I think there most logical blame is on a macro level problem that should have the entire industry on alert.

The people who were 15-30 and loved TDK, Skyfall etc have abandoned theaters in large numbers and its clear from the grosses of films like NO TIME TO DIE and THE BATMAN

Edited by excel1

6 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Joker is easily as big an attraction as Batman.  

I wouldn't go that far, but he is certainly up there. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Have you ever complimented an non-IP?

Yes. When non-IP have really strong BO results I say that they had really strong BO results. You don’t recall me saying this much because… nonIP very rarely has really strong BO results!

13 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Why does a film need to do over 100m domestic to be a success with a fine budget? 

I’m not saying that at all. But if nonIP success looks like “80M on a small budget” then it’s pretty obvious why studios and big stars aren’t excited to chase that dragon and would rather gamble of dormant IP. Can’t get a huge ROI with a large talent spend… and even when you do make 100M net revenue off 20! net costs it’s a great ROI but all involved would rather have spent that time making 300M net revenue off 200M net cost for a far worse ROI.  

17 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

give budgets to directors with proven original hits

You don’t just need some proven original hits, you need some real name recognition, buzz, and marketability from them. This is definitely the best way to pursue original ideas at the moment but there just aren’t enough directors like that around for it to generate much annual supply, not to mention that sometimes the directors want to do other things.

4 minutes ago, Villain Legion said:

I mean, this is exactly the basis of the disappointment, right? So I don’t see why what you’re saying should stop people from being disappointed with the weekend!

Because their expectations were wrong lol, you can hope a movie does more for sure but when nothing is pointing to

those numbers then I don’t know what you want to happen. It’s not as if preview night was looking like 35m was happening or something. Being disappointed is fine but for me I can’t be disappointed when I keep my expectations in check and follow the numbers. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Also I did read last pages. All of them. Donno why.

No its not disappointing. It was opening 110-135 which isn't all that less from Homecoming adjusted numbers, and that had Iron Man in it.

Also also, March is empty and WOM isn't bad so it will have strong legs.

SMH OW was disappointing though. TASM, TASM, SMH, FFH were all pretty blah for the character.