CJohn

Alien: Romulus | August 16, 2024 | Fede Alvarez | See the original Alien in theaters on April 26

If they kept the budget in check, this could be pretty sizeable success for the mouse. A return to the Alien/Aliens aesthetics and fundamentals should peak the interest of Gen X and hit em with a good ol nostalgia bomb, and the young cast and director are well liked and have a following within Gen Z/horror crowds respectively. This franchise has one of the oldest and most chronically online fan communities out there so that should inflate interest on socials a bit. I reckon FNAF numbers (290+) if it's a critical hit, and The Predator (190) if it's another dud. 

2 hours ago, SaltyPistola said:

If they kept the budget in check, this could be pretty sizeable success for the mouse. A return to the Alien/Aliens aesthetics and fundamentals should peak the interest of Gen X and hit em with a good ol nostalgia bomb, and the young cast and director are well liked and have a following within Gen Z/horror crowds respectively. This franchise has one of the oldest and most chronically online fan communities out there so that should inflate interest on socials a bit. I reckon FNAF numbers (290+) if it's a critical hit, and The Predator (190) if it's another dud. 

Idk what are you talking about, it's nothing like first 2 films, this one is very much Friday The 13th in space with teens against xenomorph, there's no nostalgia value or appeal for Gen X, zero. It will bomb hard if budget is in reported 70-75 mln range, the franchise is dead and burried, this abomination is just another nail on the coffin.

Edited by TomThomas

1 hour ago, TomThomas said:

Idk what are you talking about, it's nothing like first 2 films, this one is very much Friday The 13th in space with teens against xenomorph, there's no nostalgia value or appeal for Gen X, zero. It will bomb hard if budget is in reported 70-75 mln range, the franchise is dead and burried, this abomination is just another nail on the coffin.

Thanks for the heads up Nostradamus. When are we getting to Mars btw? 

7 hours ago, SaltyPistola said:

Thanks for the heads up Nostradamus. When are we getting to Mars btw? 

Find Nostradamus somewhere else, what I wrote is based on facts we have:

1. It's teens vs alien concept.

2. We have 2 baby doll looking lead actresses mixed with third rate CW cast.

Both things have absolutely nothing to do with first two Alien films and most certainly won't invoke any nostalgia or Gen X appeal.

And

3. The franchise is in the worst state it's ever been and it won't make anywhere near even Covenant (which flopped by the way) because it doesn't have star power, good concept or goodwill, it's an uphill battle. Critic reviews might be good since greatly overpraised Prey got them as well just because, but it won't matter much.

Edited by TomThomas

I can't imagine this is that expensive if it was originally made for Hulu. I don't think anyone's expecting crazy numbers for it, but the only Alien film with a budget over 100 million is Prometheus (yes, including inflation, though I think Resurrection does toe the line there). If they're confident in it enough to put it in theaters it doesn't sound like they think it's bad.

Now if only they could take the leap to give Prey 2 that chance...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TomThomas said:

3. The franchise is in the worst state it's ever been and it won't make anywhere near even Covenant (which flopped by the way) because it doesn't have star power, good concept or goodwill, it's an uphill battle. Critic reviews might be good since greatly overpraised Prey got them as well just because, but it won't matter much.

lol

No chance this is as awful as Resurrection was. And it wasn't just critics that liked Prey

Lol I did look at imdb and I get what TomThomas is saying, the ensemble in this looks like they were plucked right out of a Scream movie or something.   A bit odd, that was probably due to some market research nonsense.

And all the Alien movies except Resurrection are good, the franchise isn't in a Terminator-like state.   I did like Covenant significantly more on a recent re-watch.  I still would've preferred a sequel to Prometheus(because I feel like the creative possibilities for that were practically limitless), but its fine.  Covenant is like the studio forced 'compromise/correction' of the franchise like The Rise of Skywalker was for Star Wars but far, far, far less stupid and way better executed.

But as far as Alien movies go, nothing will ever top the first one.

1 hour ago, robertman2 said:

And it wasn't just critics that liked Prey

Reception differs on different sites, but it's well below 7 on foreign ones I checked and will be below 7 on imdb in a couple of years with its current drop rate. It doesn't deserve its critics score when far superior Predator 1 and 2 were trashed by critics on release, even Predators was better.

36 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Covenant is like the studio forced 'compromise/correction' of the franchise like The Rise of Skywalker was for Star Wars but far, far, far less stupid and way better executed.

I don't know about that, Covenant is a remarkably stupid movie, one of the dumbest ever of its kind, the scene where captain puts his head inside alien egg by advice of an evil android who revealed he's evil a scene before alone solidifies that, the guy who sit near me on my screening was facepalming the entire movie so hard he probably hurt his head. And most of its horror scenes were ass, not scary, not tense, poorly shot with unfinished CGI monsters, it's Ridley on autopilot when he doesn't care at all. I didn't watch Rise of Skywalker, but I can't imagine it being a lot more stupid than that.

Edited by Firepower

I'm of the opinion that all the Alien movies are good or at least entertaining outside of AVP:R. Hell, I find myself watching Resurrection more often than 3 because it's more enjoyable and doesn't depress me. This sounds like it'll be a tense, back-to-basics entry in the series.

3 hours ago, TomThomas said:

Reception differs on different sites, but it's well below 7 on foreign ones I checked and will be below 7 on imdb in a couple of years with its current drop rate. It doesn't deserve its critics score when far superior Predator 1 and 2 were trashed by critics on release, even Predators was better.

What? It's literally the second best rated in imdb by far after the first one. What an odd argument that doesn't help you at all.

I didn't even know people who disliked Prey as must as you seem to even existed. It's a very solid action flick.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

What? It's literally the second best rated in imdb by far after the first one. What an odd argument that doesn't help you at all.

My argument is critics rated it higher than audiences, especially if we count foregin imdb-like sites. And considering how poorly critics treated other Predator films I don't think Prey deserves this kind of acclaim, it's most certainly not based on merit considering how flawed it is. I rewatched Predator 2 a couple of days ago and it's far and away better movie, and yet it was destroyed on release.

Edited by TomThomas

8 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

the only Alien film with a budget over 100 million is Prometheus (yes, including inflation, though I think Resurrection does toe the line there).

Aliens would've cost well over 100 mln today, it cost more than original Top Gun which was released the same year. We should count not only inflation, but also changes in production and price tags which skyrocketed in 90s.

2 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

oh man you're in for a treat

I did see that "Somehow Palpatine returned" scene, it does challenge Covenant, I admit.

Edited by Firepower
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TomThomas said:

My argument is critics rated it higher than audiences, especially if we count foregin imdb-like sites. And considering how poorly critics treated other Predator films I don't think Prey deserves this kind of acclaim, it's most certainly not based on merit considering how flawed it is. I rewatched Predator 2 a couple of days ago and it's far and away better movie, and yet it was destroyed on release.

Confused Little Girl GIF