Fullbuster

Russia Box Office

7 minutes ago, juni78ukr said:

Only around 33-35% of The Force Awakens OD. 70 mln RUB or $1.15 mln at very best. Not enough for yearly top 10.

It was probably to be expected that TFA's poor word-of-mouth in Russia would have a huge effect on Rogue One's gross. Given the huge increase in the value of the ruble against the dollar since last year (30%+, isn't it?), I thought it would have ended up at a 60+% drop in local currency and around a 50% drop in dollar gross. Didn't expect it to fall this far.

Edited by hw64

1 hour ago, hw64 said:

It was probably to be expected that TFA's poor word-of-mouth in Russia would have a huge effect on Rogue One's gross. Given the huge increase in the value of the ruble against the dollar since last year (30%+, isn't it?), I thought it would have ended up at a 60+% drop in local currency and around a 50% drop in dollar gross. Didn't expect it to fall this far.

as of 9 December, per Jason's chart, that does NOT look like 30% up for Russia (I do not know why whilst train to copy the country... line the Region part went with it)

Region TFA TFA-A TFA-OW TFA-OWA
All OS Territories $1,132 $1,094 $281 $271
Asia $297.0 $295 $85.7 $83
Europe $619.4 $585 $153.3 $145
Latin America $93.9 $92 $30.5 $29
Oceania $77.2 $80 $23.6 $25
Middle East $16.1 $15 $5.0 $5
Africa $3.5 $4 $1.1 $1
Untracked $25 $24 $34 $33
Country TFA TFA-A TFA-OW TFA-OWA
Russia - CIS $25.952 $28.936 $12.400 $13.826

Not sure if I mix the countries up, but wasn't it Russia, where the ticket prices went down a little bit?

Kinometro has just released their early thursday numbers. They see Rogue One OD at 56-59M rubles Russia-only. That's 63-66M rubles or just 1,05-1,1M$ OD Russia CIS, which is only 31-33% of TFA OD! Kinometro sees Rogue One weekend at just 290-310M rubles Russia-only (about 315-340M or 5,2-5,6M$ OW Russia CIS).

That result will be shocking #19-21 OW of 2016. OMG!!! TFA set OW record last year...

Looks like Rogue One completely died in the evening. Let's wait for official OD number and saturday increase... But at this point 20M$ are not happening. Even 1B rubles (16,5M$) is not locked.

5 hours ago, hw64 said:

Given the huge increase in the value of the ruble against the dollar since last year (30%+, isn't it?)

+16% OD Rogue One/ OD TFA. But that's still great

4 hours ago, terrestrial said:

Not sure if I mix the countries up, but wasn't it Russia, where the ticket prices went down a little bit?

Ticket price is surprisingly steady despite the inflation.

Edited by Onri
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Onri said:

Ticket price is surprisingly steady despite the inflation.

I think I read something about 0.1 or 0.2 Rubel less than in the past = it is really only a little bit, but steadiness is great for the people, as everywhere else I looked into the ticket prices they got more expensive. I think in some places already way too high (big cities,...) often too high for a family with 2 or 3 children.

How are the reactions over the increased ~ violence? Or a female lead or... ??? Something atypical? Translation? 

8 hours ago, juni78ukr said:

Thursday grosses by 15.30 Moscow time (Russia only, 80-85% of marketplace, including presales for today)

Rogue One 21.85 mln RUB or $358k

Collateral Beauty 2.03 mln RUB or $33k

Moana 1.77 mln RUB or $29k

Office Christmas Party 1.02 mln RUB or $17k

Nocturnal Animals 383k or 6k

What a weak day, at least in USD...

9 minutes ago, Onri said:

Looks like Rogue One completely died in the evening. Let's wait for official OD number and saturday increase... But at this point 20M$ are not happening. Even 1B rubles (16,5M$) is not locked.

Russia's a very frontloaded market, with most movies (animated films being the big exception) making 40-55% of their total gross in their opening weekend. Given that estimated figure, I imagine it's possible for only maybe $11-12m in Russia, worst-case.

Will be interesting to see how the rest of the weekend turns out.

Just now, Bishop54 said:

Gareth Edwards is off to a roaring start in regards to blockbusters lol.

Godzilla was a pretty big hit and this will be a big hit.  So despite your sarcasm, yes, he is off to a good start in regards to blockbusters.  Russia wasn't big for TFA either.

1 minute ago, SoSaysI said:

Godzilla was a pretty big hit and this will be a big hit.  So despite your sarcasm, yes, he is off to a good start in regards to blockbusters.  Russia wasn't big for TFA either.

Godzilla had stumpy legs and TFA did just fine in Russia, stop with the spin job.

1 minute ago, SoSaysI said:

LOL. The Force Awakens had the best ever opening with 879.6 mln RUB and grossed 1.86 bln RUB. It was №2 ALL-TIME after Avatar. 

• Like 1

It is like a total meltdown here. Rogue One was supposed to be a huge hit.  Maybe with a third less than The Force Awakens gross.  And now Passengers got pretty bad reviews. Every theater hoped those two movies will make huge money but now it doesn't look good.  New Year Holidays is the most lucrative period of the year. If local movies will also disappoint it would be a total disaster.