Eric the Minion

Weekend Thread (3/18-20) | Weekend Actuals: Batman 36.7, Jujutsu Kaisen 17.7, Uncharted 7.8, X 4.4, Dog 4

2 hours ago, CJohn said:

Lost City - 33/107

Sonic 2 - 61/190

Morbius - 44/110

FB3 - 33/85

Lost City - 30m/100m

Morbius - 65m/162m

Sonic 2 - 50m/140m

FB3 - 35m/85m

Bad Guys - 25m/70m

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, CJohn said:

Firestarter and Marry Me from Universal are day and date, and Firestarter only opens in May, so Universal is also still doing this, besides Chapek.

Firestarter looks hilariously bad, so this might just be a case of them cutting their losses.

9 minutes ago, Boxofficerules said:

Poor UMMA. No one even seems to care about that number. That has to be one of the worst openings I’ve ever seen for a horror movie.

Eh, it's another one of Sony's pandemic-era Stage 6 dumps (similar to what they did for Long Weekend, The Last Shift, Mouthful of Air, etc.) They spend next-to-nothing on acquiring/producing and releasing them, and most haven't gone beyond 800-or-so theaters outside of Here Today (cracked 1k) and Broken Hearts Gallery (2k). Early in the pandemic, they seemed to be doing these releases as a courtesy to theaters by giving them something new to play. As business has since picked up, I'm not quite sure why they still do these.

• Like 2

Lost City honestly got the best date to release. We are on a really rare moment where the demand is growing fast and it just don't have enough movies playing due to all of these excessive delays and moving to streaming. Movies from 2, 3 months ago are still holding hard because of that. Right now if you want to watch an funny, fast paced live action comedy...that's it, go watch Lost City. That is pretty much the only option you have right now aside from maybe Dog.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ThatWaluigiDude said:

Lost City honestly got the best date to release. We are on a really rare moment where the demand is growing fast and it just don't have enough movies playing due to all of these excessive delays and moving to streaming. Movies from 2, 3 months ago are still holding hard because of that. Right now if you want to watch an funny, fast paced live action comedy...that's it, go watch Lost City. That is pretty much the only option you have right now aside from maybe Dog.

Fingers crossed it hits. 

2 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

They are, but word is that Firestarter might be the last one.  We shall see.  

Good, so Halloween Ends should be theatrical exclusive. Could increase from Kills then. 

2 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Firestarter is supposedly very bad, which is why maybe Universal just wanted to dump simultaneously on Peacock, I don't know. 

is it? Universal have a first look deal with Blumhouse so they can turn the film down and say no. Wonder why they committed to a theatrical release if they know it’s “very bad”.  

The Lost City is still fascinating to me, because it's one of those "easy to sell" package deals when it comes to its starpower and concept and quality. 10 years ago, it would have easily earned 45/160 and be a constant presence on cable, Netflix, Amazon, and Tubi. 5 years ago, would have done 35/115, still pop up on cable, and maybe get a following on Amazon or Netflix. And today, it will probably do 25/80, be trapped in the walled garden of Paramount+ for all eternity, and get some lame streaming series spin-off that inexplicably gets 3 seasons. Just a fascinating decline, original filmmaking has had. And Lost City's not even that original an idea!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

Good, so Halloween Ends should be theatrical exclusive. Could increase from Kills then. 

is it? Universal have a first look deal with Blumhouse so they can turn the film down and say no. Wonder why they committed to a theatrical release if they know it’s “very bad”.  

Test screenings have been awful for Firestarter

5 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

If The Lost City opens above 30m next weekend, I expect a thoughtful apology from the users who laughed when I said Channing Tatum was one of the best draws left in Hollywood. A rare win for ole Cmasterclay between Lost City and Dog.

Lmao, I was actually thinking about your post when Dog ended up overperforming and was judging the users who laughed at you.

• Like 2

I still have no idea how Lost City will do. I've posted in tracking thread how it's a movie that will be walk-up heavy and we won't get a general idea from presales or the early advance screenings. But it's inarguable Paramount is pushing the film heavy and Tatum still contains draw power. Pairing him with Bullock + Pitt in supporting role increases the awareness of a high-concept film that utilities their talents well. It's the first big release since Batman