Eric S'ennui

Weekend Thread (3/18-20) | Weekend Actuals: Batman 36.7, Jujutsu Kaisen 17.7, Uncharted 7.8, X 4.4, Dog 4

1 hour ago, excel1 said:

Tier 3: become famous as a result of high profile big screen films (major staying power)

Current: Tom Holland, Timothe Chalamet, Austin Butler (soon, Elvis & Dune 2 = big deal)

Past:  Ben Affleck, Heath Leger, Josh Hartnett

The people that are in tier 3- who achieve fame primarily though major motion pictures - almost always feel bigger than those in tiers 1 or 2 simply because audiences "meet" them through this platform. They have the highest profiles, see they pay increase the fastest, and generally have first dibs at the biggest roles.

Maybe wait until Elvis is released and Austin Butler is officially cast in Dune before you call him "Tier 3 famous" lmao. 

9 minutes ago, ban1o said:

Maybe wait until Elvis is released and Austin Butler is officially cast in Dune before you call him "Tier 3 famous" lmao. 

His status is pending.

I think the days of a true movie star like Hanks, Dicaprio, etc are over, there's just way too many entertainment lanes now and celebrities aren't mythical creatures anymore, i mean there are youtubers and twitch streamers with bigger followings than most hollywood stars nowadays

4 minutes ago, BruiseCruise said:

I think the days of a true movie star like Hanks, Dicaprio, etc are over, there's just way too many entertainment lanes now and celebrities aren't mythical creatures anymore, i mean there are youtubers and twitch streamers with bigger followings than most hollywood stars nowadays

Everything has definitely changed. There has also been a massive movement away from the "celebrity" angle and more towards the "artistic integrity" angle. For example:

-The "drawing power" of directors is massive today, perhaps larger than it has ever been. 

-Actors with "artistic integrity" but little other commercial success can become massive draws in the right role, i.e. Phoenix as Joker or DDL as Lincoln. 

11 minutes ago, BruiseCruise said:

Not denying your point, but streamers and youtubers have bigger followings on social media because is literally their job to harvest huge followings. Most Hollywood stars use social media either to talk of personal stuff, to do an ad here and there, but barely any of them put as much effort as digital creators to build an community, so I don't think is very fair to compare.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's true that even the biggest stars today are not known by people over a certain age. Honestly the average person probably won't know who Florence Pugh is. It's like they don't exist outside the film twitter/people under 25 bubble. 

45 minutes ago, YourMother said:

When was he ever a big star lol?

He was the most famous "young" star in Hollywood 2002-2005ish. He rode his run in 2001-2002 pretty long. It's obvious from the offers he received, not even debatable. Batman for Nolan, Superman at $100 million, Black Dahlia when it was David Fincher, Brokeback Mountain. Robert Rodriguez credits him with getting 2005's Sin City made by agreeing to appear in the proof of concept on a whim for free. Hartnett clearly surpassed Ledger 2001 onwards until Brokeback Mountain in late 2005 suddenly made Ledger a critical darling. 

Edited by excel1

10 minutes ago, BruiseCruise said:

Josh Hartnett will never make sense to me, just take the 100mil for superman and then do all the indies you want afterwards, kinda like pattinson did

Hartnett is on record as saying he has some type of anxiety and never aspired to blow up as he did. That said, he would have been an excellent Nolan Batman. As Superman, tougher to say. No doubt his origin film would have been a huge hit, but his energy was always more Bruce Wayne/Bruce Banner than swaggering Superman. The Superman/box office fan in me will always wonder "what could have been" had he said yes to Abrams extremely commercial script in 2003.

Edited by excel1

1 hour ago, ThatWaluigiDude said:

Not denying your point, but streamers and youtubers have bigger followings on social media because is literally their job to harvest huge followings. Most Hollywood stars use social media either to talk of personal stuff, to do an ad here and there, but barely any of them put as much effort as digital creators to build an community, so I don't think is very fair to compare.

exactly. Most actors barely post on social media. Of course they won't have a huge following. A lot of tiktok stars are flash in the pans with a life span of 2-3  years. 

Actors like Dwayne Johnson who are actually  social media savvy have  like 278 million followers 

Even then, if you look at the young actors that are popular among Gen Z, they have a decent amount of followers.  

Zendaya - 134 million

Tom Holland - 64.7 million 

Timothee Chalamet - 17.3 million 

Florence Pugh - 7.1 milliion 

Anya Taylor Joy 8.7 million 

Sure the top tiktokers have more followers than then, but I would argue that the actors' fame is more sustainable then a lot of tiktokers and streamers. There are tiktokers that were huge 2 years ago are practically irrelevant now. 

Edited by ban1o
  • Like 3

I don’t think Noah Centineo is going to break out. Playing third banana to The Rock isn’t going to make him blow up suddenly

Elordi may get lucky if he gets cast in a superhero franchise or he may not and he’ll go on the same trash heap as Theo James, Liam Hemsworth etc

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, snarkmachine said:

I don’t think Noah Centineo is going to break out. Playing third banana to The Rock isn’t going to make him blow up suddenly

Elordi may get lucky if he gets cast in a superhero franchise or he may not and he’ll go on the same trash heap as Theo James, Liam Hemsworth etc

Centineo's role is supposedly pretty large an Grace Randolph said he was the break-out of test screening. 

Hemsworth had talent, he was just a casualty of Independence Day 2. 

Actually I wouldn’t even put Elordi on the same tier as Hemsworth or Theo James - at least they’ve been in actual movies. This kid is sixth lead on a teen HBO show. There’s nothing promising on his upcoming slate, he’s not been “in talks” for anything significant. Putting the cart way ahead of the horse

5 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Centineo's role is supposedly pretty large an Grace Randolph said he was the break-out of test screening. 

Hemsworth had talent, he was just a casualty of Independence Day 2. 

As you know I always trust the good judgment of Grace Randolph 😵💫

1 hour ago, excel1 said:

Hartnett is on record as saying he has some type of anxiety and never aspired to blow up as he did. That said, he would have been an excellent Nolan Batman. As Superman, tougher to say. No doubt his origin film would have been a huge hit, but his energy was always more Bruce Wayne/Bruce Banner than swaggering Superman. The Superman/box office fan in me will always wonder "what could have been" had he said yes to Abrams extremely commercial script in 2003.

He would have been a terrible Batman. Guy should have taken the $100m and ran with it.

He faded into obscurity because he's insanely bland.

15 minutes ago, snarkmachine said:

Actually I wouldn’t even put Elordi on the same tier as Hemsworth or Theo James - at least they’ve been in actual movies. This kid is sixth lead on a teen HBO show. There’s nothing promising on his upcoming slate, he’s not been “in talks” for anything significant. Putting the cart way ahead of the horse

Jacob Elordi is in the mega blockbuster thriller Deep Water. I am getting bombarded with marketing for it from Amazon here.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, snarkmachine said:

Ehhhhh. Hemsworth was overshadowed by JLaw in an adaption of mega popular books. It is a bit different. Elordi has a very large social media following in addition to critical acclaim on the show.  and Grace Randolph did call THE BATMAN to a tee...

Edited by excel1