Eric Furiosa

Weekend Thread (3/18-20) | Weekend Actuals: Batman 36.7, Jujutsu Kaisen 17.7, Uncharted 7.8, X 4.4, Dog 4

24 minutes ago, grim22 said:

This weirdly enough reminds me of a random trailer selling Hollywood Homicide as starring "The guy from Six Days, Seven Nights and the guy from 40 days and 40 nights"

I remember thinking that movie would be an epic flop (accurate) but had a glimmer of hope watching those 2 awkwardly presenting at the 2003 MTV Movie awards. There was deafening roar from the crowd when they came on stage as Ford was still really big and Hartnett had already become known as a recluse.

Hartnett has had an extremely odd and unique career arc. It is fascinating for all the bizarre choices, from following up Pearl Harbor and Black Hawk Down with...40 days and 40 nights...to passing on Batman and Superman in order to make...Hollywood Homicide and Wicker Park...to being unable to film Brokeback Mountain because you were stuck with Black Dahlia even though Fincher had moved on...to being uninterested in playing Lennox in Transformers 1 or Kirk or Spock in Star Trek 2009...but then getting passed over for the one role he apparently did want (Loki in Thor??). His agents must have pulled their hair out.

All of this makes me feel old. I am old enough to vividly remember when Collin Farrell was signed to be Batman in the first Batman vs. Superman concept. Now, he is playing Penguin 20 years later. Crazy how quickly it all goes by...

Edited by excel1

7 minutes ago, Noctis said:

In what universe is Josh more handsome than Bale?

Not passing judgement either way but Hartnett was 100x more popular with women than Bale.

1 hour ago, excel1 said:

Josh Hartnett was 100x bigger than Taylor Kitsch, be serious. There really isn't a great comparison for him in recent years to let the younger crowd understand. Hartnett had a HUGE fanbase with young women, not too unlike that of Leo post Titanic. Every girl aged 14-28 in America knew who Josh Hartnett was at the time. Imagine if Shawn Mendes was a decent actor? If you were a film producer, he was exactly the type of person you'd want as Superman. 

You’re completely out of your mind

3 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Holy shit dude

? This isn't a controversial take whatsoever. JH whole reputation was as a teeny bopper heart throb.

58 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Honestly this whole discussion reminds me of all the annual Vanity Fair Hollywood Issue covers that stretch all the way back to 1995. In particular the "ingenue/rising star" covers. Go look them up if anyone is bored. You'll find just as many faces you are familiar with as you'll find ones that fall under the "where are they now?" category.

14 hours ago, Grebacio said:

Ambulance and The Bad Guys opened overseas this weekend.

The Numbers reports 4.37M for Ambulance and 8.48M for Bad Guys. Can't find in how many markets each opened.

35 markets for Ambulance according to Deadline, so that doesn’t sound very good. 

14 hours ago, Maggie said:

I don’t watch Euphoria, but this Jacob Ecoldry, @excel1 keeps mentioning has the looks to be the next big thing. Is he a good actor?

He’s great. Everyone in Euphoria is. It’s next level. Variety confirmed that Sydney Sweeney is at the top of every studio’s casting list after season 2. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, BruiseCruise said:

uncharted is not an original IP and lets be real reviews dont matter for action films, venom had a 30% on RT and made 860mil

It's Ruben Fleischer. He's becoming amother Michael Bay where his movies are panned by critics but liked by the GA

Josh Hartnett was a massive household name back in the day as he was easily the sexiest man on the planet. That being said though, he was never a draw but these comparissons to the likes of Taylor Kitsch are ridiculous. That guy has never been famous

• Like 1

6 hours ago, excel1 said:

I remember thinking that movie would be an epic flop (accurate) but had a glimmer of hope watching those 2 awkwardly presenting at the 2003 MTV Movie awards. There was deafening roar from the crowd when they came on stage as Ford was still really big and Hartnett had already become known as a recluse.

Hartnett has had an extremely odd and unique career arc. It is fascinating for all the bizarre choices, from following up Pearl Harbor and Black Hawk Down with...40 days and 40 nights...to passing on Batman and Superman in order to make...Hollywood Homicide and Wicker Park...to being unable to film Brokeback Mountain because you were stuck with Black Dahlia even though Fincher had moved on...to being uninterested in playing Lennox in Transformers 1 or Kirk or Spock in Star Trek 2009...but then getting passed over for the one role he apparently did want (Loki in Thor??). His agents must have pulled their hair out.

All of this makes me feel old. I am old enough to vividly remember when Collin Farrell was signed to be Batman in the first Batman vs. Superman concept. Now, he is playing Penguin 20 years later. Crazy how quickly it all goes by...

His story (if this is all true) makes me believe that there might be a benevolent God watching out for us. 

But this also proves that Josh is a motherfucking moron who has made the most idiotic decisions. If I were his agent, I'd sue him for the sheer stupidity of his decisions. Like what? 

You're already so fucking bland yet keep getting all these offers? But on the bright side, all the other choices for the roles he was offered were infinitely better.

2 hours ago, Krissykins said:

35 markets for Ambulance according to Deadline, so that doesn’t sound very good. 

He’s great. Everyone in Euphoria is. It’s next level. Variety confirmed that Sydney Sweeney is at the top of every studio’s casting list after season 2. 

She deserves to be. 

Still think there's some crazy recency bias going on with Euphoria. The actors are better than say, the ones you'd find on Degrassi but I'm still skeptical of their ability to break out. It's easier to transition from tv to movies these days thanks to streaming, but these teen shows are so fleeting. There's always going to be another Netflix show around the corner that's going to eat up all the oxygen in the room.

Best case scenario is Euphoria is another Skins and launches a bunch of careers, but Hollywood is far more competitive than British TV.

I don't see any of the non-Zendaya (she's already approached "here to stay" status between Spider-Man/Dune/winning an Emmy) young Euphoria actors going very far either. In this day and age actors who have "flash in the pan" written all over them (looking at you, Addison Rae) are more likely to thrive on streaming, at least until the next person that catches people's attention for a fleeting moment comes along, than they are to transition to a viable career on the big screen.

21 hours ago, ImNotRacistAtAll said:

Uncharted 8M. Wow

Uncharted has lowest drop in top 6 movies.

Movie Title Distributor Gross %LW Theaters Theaters
Change
Per
Theater
Total
Gross
Weekends In
Release
1 (1) The Batman Warner Bros. $36,800,000 -45% 4,302 -115 $8,554 $300,090,872 3
2 N Jujutsu Kaisen 0: The Movie FUNimation $17,698,677   2,286   $7,742 $17,698,677 1
3 (2) Uncharted Sony Pictures $8,000,000 -14% 3,700 -25 $2,162 $125,895,357 5
4 N X A24 $4,407,750   2,865   $1,538 $4,407,750 1
5 (4) Dog United Artists $4,096,419 -21% 3,307 -100 $1,239 $54,227,992 5
6 (5) Spider-Man: No Way Home Sony Pictures $3,200,000 -21% 2,585 -117 $1,238 $797,543,553 14
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Noctis said:

His story (if this is all true) makes me believe that there might be a benevolent God watching out for us. 

But this also proves that Josh is a motherfucking moron who has made the most idiotic decisions. If I were his agent, I'd sue him for the sheer stupidity of his decisions. Like what? 

You're already so fucking bland yet keep getting all these offers? But on the bright side, all the other choices for the roles he was offered were infinitely better.

You should really define "bland". Josh Hartnett was no more bland than Chris Evans, Mark Ruffalo, etc. He was not as gifted as Heath Ledger or Christian Bale but was well ahead of the Ashton Kutcher and Orlando Bloom crowd.

4 hours ago, Tarintino said:

Josh Hartnett was a massive household name back in the day as he was easily the sexiest man on the planet. That being said though, he was never a draw but these comparissons to the likes of Taylor Kitsch are ridiculous. That guy has never been famous

I think the internet film buffs always hated on Hartnett due to the nature of his fame - many here are likely too young to remember when Leonardo DiCaprio was a joke with internet fandom circa 1998-2001. Leo was rumored for Anakin Skywalker and fandom collectively freaked out. But in 2002, anyone who was in high school or college knew who Josh Hartnett was, which was obviously never the case with Taylor Kitsch lol. Jerry Bruckheimer made Hartnett look like a male model and then threw him into major war films. His hype exploded overnight. Film buffs will hate but Hartnett as Superman circa 2003/2004 would have been a massive commercial grab for WB. He was much more popular than likes of Tobey McGuire or Christian Bale.

5 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Euphoria is def. approaching that 90210 level where the young actors begin getting more opportunities, but who knows if anyone will capitalize. 

Edited by excel1