chasmmi

The Third Grand Annual Best Songs in Movies Countdown Begins!!!... It is a top 111 Extravaganza because there is a lot present in 101-111th

38th -Time Warp - Rocky Horror Picture Show

117 Points -   0 Top 5 Vote, 1 top 10

Always nice when a song explains to you how to dance along to the song as you hear it.

One of the classic weird musicals with a classic weird song. Time Warp is synonymous with Rocky Horror, which is one of the hallmarks of a song being an essential part of the film it compliments. I can have no complaints about this making the top 40. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

37th -The Sound of Silence - The Graduate

118 Points -   1 Top 5 Vote, 0 top 10

Spoilers for a what, 30? 40? year old film ending above

Once more we return to the Simon and Garfunkel soundtrack and while I think this is the better choice for top Graduate Song, I was surprised that it managed to outscore Mrs. Robinson because... well it's Mrs. Robinson. 

• Like 7

36th -Time of My Life - Dirty Dancing

119 Points - 0 Top 5 Vote, 0 top 10

Spoilers for the endings of a what? 30? 40 Year old film

A former top 10 finisher in previous lists. This has fallen a fair few places in this current iteration. This is a song that would always be a part of any album of great movie songs, but it appears that we are now reaching that point where younger folkds are not automatically familiar and thus enamoured with the classic dance movie theme songs of the 80s. 

• Like 3

35th -Can You Feel the Life Tonight - Lion King

122 Points - 1 Top 5 Vote, 0 top 10

The song featuring the sexiest Lion Eyes in cinema

I am surprised that this ended up in the 30s as I genuinely felt that this could have been a challenger to the absolute top spot. As the big love song to the biggest of all the Disney animated musicals, maybe there is a movement that will allow another Disney Musical to be the top animated finisher.  

• Like 3
  • ...wtf 1

34th -Cabaret - Cabaret

123 Points - 2 Top 5 Vote, 0 top 10

This song lies as my life is clearly not singing, dancing, burlesque shows

While many other musicals of the 20th century are struggling to maintain spots in the top 100, Cabaret still seems to be holding strong with its top 100 representation. What better way celebrate a film's 50th anniversary than by placing it 34th in a top 100 list on a movie forum somewhere on the internet?

• Like 7

33rd -Tiny Dancer - Almost Famous

124 Points - 1 Top 5 Vote, 0 top 10

Spoilers for the ending of a film that is what? 20? 30 years old?

For the second time in like 5 placements, we have a song that ends a film and takes place on a bus. Obviously a great song because Elton John is...well possibly the best musical artist of all time. Another song that can regularly be seen in lists of best song moments in cinema, that cannot crack our lists top 20 or 30.

• Like 4
  • Astonished 1

32nd -Remember Me - Coco

127 Points - 1 Top 5 Vote, 0 top 10

One of the best uses of a song as part of a story narrative well, ever.

I love this film. I love this song. I love the way that this song is presented in like 3 different forms at three different moments in the film and I just... I just think it is the most emotive song from a Disney film in a long long time. Should be higher though. Really should be higher. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • ...wtf 1

31st -Friend Like Me - Aladdin

129 Points - 1 Top 5 Vote, 1 top 10

I added the right version this time.

From one of the best emotional songs of my adulthood, we now have one of the best fun songs from my childhood. Robin Williams brings the energy at 1000% to introduce one of Disney's most beloved and iconic characters and the only complaint I can have is that it is not higher.

• Like 5
  • ...wtf 1

2 hours ago, chasmmi said:

33rd -Tiny Dancer - Almost Famous

124 Points - 1 Top 5 Vote, 0 top 10

Spoilers for the ending of a film that is what? 20? 30 years old?

For the second time in like 5 placements, we have a song that ends a film and takes place on a bus. Obviously a great song because Elton John is...well possibly the best musical artist of all time. Another song that can regularly be seen in lists of best song moments in cinema, that cannot crack our lists top 20 or 30.

Y'all are crazy, this is one of the best and most heartfelt soundtrack moments in film. 

• Like 1

On 5/10/2022 at 2:57 PM, chasmmi said:

46th -The Immigrant Song - Thor Ragnarok

109 Points - 0 Top 5 Vote, 0 top 10

Not going to lie, I love that this is here. 

This song really felt like it was written for the scene, it worked so well. Ragnarok is a wonderful film that blessed us with wonderful things and this soundtrack was one of them. 

ea1ac047f25190cd68a8d8cbed2fd3b4.gif

• Like 1

30th - Rainbow Connection - The Muppet Movie

131 Points - 0 Top 5 Vote, 1 top 10

Surely the other side of a rainbow is just also the rainbow. 

I mean, the existence of Muppet Christmas Carol means that this is only really about the 4th best Muppet song out there. However, as Christmas only enters peoples heads between August and December, we have to make do with the frog strumming away by a river and it is still a lovely little ditty. 

• Like 4

29th - Take my Breath Away - Top Gun

132 Points - 0 Top 5 Vote, 1 top 10

Whatever happened to the Top Gun franchise eh? 

Well would you look at that, some nostalgia choices still sticking in the top 30 despite the brutal rise of the 21st century. It is a great little theme song and I look forward to hearing the Pitball and Nicki Minaj revamped version when Maverick comes out.   

• Like 4

28th - As Time Goes By - Casablanca

134 Points - 0 Top 5 Vote, 0 top 10

Of all the songs in all the world, you had to walk into mine... wait that doesn't work. 

The best film of all time has its most famous song enter at 28th. Famously not preceded by the line, "Play it again Sam", this is one of the oldest songs on the list. It surely is impossible to be mad at the inclusion of this at the upper echelons of a top 100 list.  

• Like 7

27th - Constant Sorrow - Oh Brother, Where art Thou

134 Points - 0 Top 5 Vote, 0 top 10

Ah George Clooney, this was back when he was still threatening to be more than an instant coffee salesman right?

This film never ever appealed to me so about the only time I ever think about it is when it shows up on these lists every few years. I respond with a simple, "Huh, sure whatever" and then think of some pithy way to discuss its placement in the countdown itself. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Disbelief 1

26th - Holding Out For a Hero - Shrek 2

136 Points - 0 Top 5 Vote, 0 top 10

We have hit peak 'list' now. 

You try to make a serious list that examines the artistic integrity of musical score and soundtracks within the highest forms of art cinema. You wish to discuss the reasoning behind choosing a Jazz quartet number over something more sedate and soulful. Then what happens? This fucking happens!

And in fell swoop, the list becomes... perfect. Bless all of you for voting as this scene is a highlight from one of the best animated sequels out there and while I still would put hallelujah from the first film ahead of this one, I am not upset at all that cookie colossus gets a moment to shine.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, chasmmi said:

26th - Holding Out For a Hero - Shrek 2

136 Points - 0 Top 5 Vote, 0 top 10

We have hit peak 'list' now. 

You try to make a serious list that examines the artistic integrity of musical score and soundtracks within the highest forms of art cinema. You wish to discuss the reasoning behind choosing a Jazz quartet number over something more sedate and soulful. Then what happens? This fucking happens!

And in fell swoop, the list becomes... perfect. Bless all of you for voting as this scene is a highlight from one of the best animated sequels out there and while I still would put hallelujah from the first film ahead of this one, I am not upset at all that cookie colossus gets a moment to shine.  

A wonderful pick

• Like 1

25th - Mad World - Donnie Darko

141 Points - 0 Top 5 Vote, 1 top 10

Time to perk up the mood a bit.

Never saw Donnie Darko, the more I see of it, the more put off by it I am, to the point that it has taken a week to muster up the energy to talk about it here. Mad World is a fair cover of Tears for Fears so it has that going for it, 

• Like 5

24th - Shallow - A Star is Born

146 Points - 0 Top 5 Vote, 0 top 10

When a musical has been remade 47 times, you expect a song or two to make the list. 

To be fair this was a great song in a generally great film. I don't begrudge it being in the top 25 at all really. It is another piece of evidence that whether you like her usual musical stylings or not, Lady Gaga may well be one of the most talented musical people of this century. And Bradley Cooper was there too.   

• Like 4
  • ...wtf 1

23rd - When You Believe - The Prince of Egypt 

153 Points - 1 FIRST, 1 Top 5 Vote, 1 top 10

Remember when Dreamworks made super cool 2D animated musicals that made no money?

I like Prince of Egypt. I like it a lot. There seems to be a base of folks out there that consider this film an all timer and I cannot say that I am there with them, but it has a bunch of great songs, and a really strong story and set of performances.

Also, and I am not a Christian so not the best person to claim this, but this might be the best film ever made that also works as a way to teach some elements of Christianity and Bible history to kids. 

• Like 4