chasmmi

The Third Grand Annual Best Songs in Movies Countdown Begins!!!... It is a top 111 Extravaganza because there is a lot present in 101-111th

So we are finally here. The thread is opened, the songs are tallied (bar any extreme last second stragglers that change everything) and chas has has spent his first night with more than 3 and a half hours sleep since Saturday. This is surely the best timeline. 

As such, we shall be starting the countdown when I finish work in about 10 hours from this post. So stay tuned and if you read this and think... Damn! that was the other thing I was planning to do, you can send a final last ditch list in these final few hours and it will be accepted even if it is only like 20 songs.

See you all very soon:

@#ED @Porthos @4815162342 @75Live @A Star is Orm @a2k @aabattery @ACSlater @AJG @Alpha @AndyLL @angeldelmito @Arlborn @Barnack @baumer @Biggestgeekever @Blaze Heatnix @boomboom234 @Boxofficerules @BoxOfficeFangrl @BoxOfficeZ @Brainbug @Eric Smith@Captain Craig @CaptainJackSparrow @Catty @cdsacken @cax16 @Jedi Jat @chasmmi @ChD @Chewy @ChipMunky @CJohn @Claire of Themyscira @Cmasterclay @cookie @CoolioD1 @DAJK @darkelf @Darth Lehnsherr @Daxtreme @ddddeeee @DeeCee @Deja23 @EarlyDeadlinePredictions @Eevin @el sid @ElsaRoc @elcaballero @Empire @EmpireCity @Exxdee @Fancyarcher @FantasticBeasts @Films @Finnick @FlashMaster659 @franfar @Frozen @FrozenUnicorn @FrozenFan626 @Goffe @Gopher@IceFire9yt @Inceptionzq @IronJimbo @Ithil @Jack Nevada @James @Jandrew @Jason @Jayhawk @Jim Shorts @JimiQ @JJ-8 @justvision @K1stpierre @Kalderic @Kalo @kayumanggi @KeepItU25071906 @kitik @Krissykins @lilmac @Lion Roar @LonePirate @m3racer123 @Mattrek @MCKillswitch123 @Mekanos @Menor @Michael Gary Scott @Mike Hunt @misafeco @Morieris @MovieMan89 @Spaghetti @MrGlass2 @Ms Lady Hawk @Mulder @Napoleon @narniadis @Neo @Noctis @Nova @Olive @Ozymandias @peludo @Porthos @RandomCat @RealLyre @Rebeccas @reddevil18 @redfirebird2008 @RichWS @RobrtmanAStarWarsReference @Rorschach @rukaio101 @Sam @sfran43 @Shawn @Sheikh @ShouldIBeHere @SLAM! @Spidey Freak @TalismanRing @tawasal @terrestrial @That One Guy @The Fast and the Furiosa @ThiagoMaia @titanic2187 @TLK @Tower @tribefan695 @trifle @TwoMisfits @VanillaSkies @vc2002 @VenomXXR @ViewerAnon @Walt Disney @Water Bottle @Webslinger @Wrath @WrathOfHan @YourMother the Edgelord @ZeeSoh @Jake Gittes  @Plain Old Tele @Ethan Hunt @Xillix @Rorschach @YourMother the Edgelord @Reddroast @Jandrew @grim22 @MrPink @chasmmi  @Eric in Boots @Blankments @MrGamer @Cap @CJohn @charlie Jatinder @tribefan695 @Empire @Jayhawk the Hutt @Sal @DAJK @ZeeSoh @carolwoodpr @RealLyre @Arendelle Legion @aabattery @TMP@Jamiem @lorddemaxus@ThomasNicole @Cap

• Like 9

Ok, Let's get this party started...

First a few Stats:

Total Number of Songs on the list: 803

Total Number of Songs in the top 100: 100

Number of songs placed Number 1 to miss the top 100: 3

Number of songs placed Number 2-5 to miss the top 100: 23

Number of songs placed Number 6-10 to miss the top 100: 35

Number of songs to receive 1 single point: 55

Number of Disney Songs in the top 100: Yes

Number of Votes for Different My Neighbor Totoro Songs that may turn out to be the same song expressed in three different ways: 3

Number of people that spelt the song Wolkommen leading me to question my own sanity: At least two too many

Number of final positions in the 803 songs that leave me feeling sad:796

• Like 7

So, yeah we are going to begin with the 11 songs that did not quite make the final 100 cut (4 of which miss out on a 5 way tiebreaker) 

Let's reveal the 11 in bursts of 3...ish

111th - I Will Always Love You - The Bodyguard

73 Points - Zero Top 10 Votes

110th - La Marseillaise - Casablanca 

74 Points - Zero Top 10 Votes

109th - Hip to Be Square - American Psycho 

74 Points - Zero Top 10 Votes (Beats Casablanca on Countback)

Well those are three very different films to kick us off. There is the classic romantic movie ballad (that I expected to be higher), a song that has a direct impact on the proceedings taking place with the film (that I was hoping would get into the 100), and there was also whatever Christian Bale was doing. 

Either way, I would be surprised if that is the last Movie theme Ballad we see on the countdown or the last Huey Lewis song. It may be the final national anthem though,.. 

• Like 8

108th - Moon River - Breakfast at Tiffany's 

74 Points - Zero Top 10 Votes (Beats Hip to be Square on Countback)

107th - I'm Easy - Nashville

75 Points - 1 Top 10 Votes 

106th - Kuch Kuch Hota Hai - Kuch Kuch Hota Hai  

75 Points - Zero Top 10 Votes (Beats I'm Easy on Tiebreakers)

Well what do you know, the third best song in the second best Bollywood film comes within a whisker of the top 100. I must say that I was more optimistic than with previous lists that there would be more Hindi representation in the top 100 this time around. It remains to be seen if that came into fruition. 

There are also two sad seeming people singing with their little guitars, one of which is more surprising to me than the other that it fell short. I would add more, but I will be honest, the only thing I know about Nashville is that it has the above song in it and I learned that when I pasted it into this text box here, and Moon River is from the film that saved the lead singer of Deep Blue Something from a break up. 

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

105th - Always With Me - Spirited Away  

75 Points - Zero Top 10 Votes (Beats Kuch Kuch Hota Hai on Tiebreakers)

104th - Wilkommen - Cabaret  

76 Points - Zero Top 10 Votes 

103rd - Theme From Shaft - Shaft  

76 Points - Zero Top 10 Votes (Beats Wilkommen on Tiebreakers)

It took a while to find that lyric version of the Spirited Away Song, I almost considered disqualifying it for not having lyrics but then didn't because... well, it has lyrics. I will say that it is nice for the 3rd best Miyazaki film got some love. 

Then we get a film that regularly does very well in these lists as Cabaret makes its first (almost) appearance in the countdown. If it is the last, then I have definitely pushed the wrong button on my spreadsheets. 

Finally there is Shaft. A cool theme tune with a less cool final placing.  

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

102nd - America: Fuck Yeah - Team America: World Police  

76 Points - Zero Top 10 Votes (Beats Shaft on Tiebreakers)

101st - The Edge of the Night - Lord of the Rings  

76 Points - Zero Top 10 Votes (Beats America: Fuck Yeah on Tiebreakers)

The puppets came! So close! Trey Parker and Matt Stone are masters when it comes to musicals/soundtracks in my opinion and I do hope that they are rewarded with true representation with the 100 proper at some point. 

Then there is the Lord of the Rings song that every time I saw it, I was briefly happy that Anastasia was getting a vote, then I realised the dark, sad reality and put more points in the Rings column.  

• Like 5
  • Sad 2

100th - Prince Ali - Aladdin  

76 Points - 1 Top 10 Vote (Beats Edge of Night on Tiebreakers)

And the list begins with Disney! This is what the people want to see. And it begin with a song that really slaps! I am not going to be sad to see this squeeze into the official 100. Aladdin is one of my absolute top tier Disney animations (Don't worry, it's the animated version that made it), and the soundtrack is a big part of that love. It just takes things to a whole new level. 

• Like 5
  • ...wtf 1

99th - You're Welcome - Moana  

77 Points - 1 Top 5 Vote, 0 top 10

The Disney Sweep is On!!! 

Again not going to lie, I think Moana has the best consistently strong soundtrack of any Disney animation in the 21st century (and not far off being ever). So yeah, I was the top 5 voter here. I think the song is A) incredible fun B) endurable when you have to listen to it every day forever because you teach kindergarten C) a great character introduction including hints at the backstory all in 3 minutes D) did I mention incredible fun? 

• Like 5
  • ...wtf 1

98th - Jaja Ding Dong - Eurovision  

Well that is three songs in the top 100 and still not a professional singer in sight. Isn't that fun!

This film was both better than I had hoped and worse than I feared. Quite the oxymoron. It seemed to encompass the best and the worst traits of a Will Ferrell comedy performance yet still, when it comes to Jaja Ding Dong I am here for it getting a place in the top 100. I was not the top 5 voter this time though, so you will have to find another soul to blame for that :) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1
  • Disbelief 1

97th - Gonna Fly Now - Rocky  

77 Points - 0 Top 10 Vote, 0 top 10 (Beats Jaja Ding Dong on Tiebreaker)

Now this is an entry I was not expecting to talk about this early on.

The Rocky Theme tune almost missed the cut and that feels like it would have been a travesty as it is one of the most iconic pieces of movie music and accompanying scenes that there is. But then maybe that is why it did not gather so many votes? Because it feels more like a score than a soundtrack despite the vocal parts. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, chasmmi said:

Number of songs placed Number 1 to miss the top 100: 3

Number of songs placed Number 2-5 to miss the top 100: 23

Number of songs placed Number 6-10 to miss the top 100: 35

Number of songs to receive 1 single point: 55

I can already tell a lot of these are gonna be from my list including my #1 song. Placed a lot of Hindi songs which are gonna miss. 

24 minutes ago, chasmmi said:

97th - Gonna Fly Now - Rocky  

77 Points - 0 Top 10 Vote, 0 top 10 (Beats Jaja Ding Dong on Tiebreaker)

Now this is an entry I was not expecting to talk about this early on.

The Rocky Theme tune almost missed the cut and that feels like it would have been a travesty as it is one of the most iconic pieces of movie music and accompanying scenes that there is. But then maybe that is why it did not gather so many votes? Because it feels more like a score than a soundtrack despite the vocal parts. 

It's no Heart's On Fire  @MrPink

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, chasmmi said:

Last one for now...

96th - Nobody Like U - Turning Red  

78 Points - 0 Top 5 Vote, 2 top 10 

Ok, what the fuck was that? 

This is way too low, but a brand new song so I’ll take it.

• Like 2
  • Disbelief 1

6 hours ago, chasmmi said:

98th - Jaja Ding Dong - Eurovision  

Oh shit, how did I forget this?

6 hours ago, chasmmi said:

Last one for now...

I know right, this masterpiece is clearly #1

• Like 1

17 hours ago, chasmmi said:

Last one for now...

I actually had this in my top 100, but had to sacrifice it for more songs. what can I saw I like baskstreet boys and it totally reminds me off my pre-teen years in the early 2000s. 

• Like 1