YM!

April 8th-10th Weekend Thread | $72m OW Sonic 2, biggest Paramount opener since 2014, $8.69m OW for AmbuLAnce, $6m+ for EEAAO

I'm gonna grade Sonic, but Holy Ending Scene, Batman!

Here I'm sitting with no clue as my ENTIRE THEATER goes absolutely NUTS!  I haven't seen an ending scene cause such a huge reaction since The Avengers with Thanos...sign me up for Sonic 3 going $100M+ OW...

2 hours ago, Eric the Hedgehog said:

Literally my entire showing was full of 6-10 year-olds. Can you not with this whole "kids are never coming back to the movies UwU"

My 7:50pm showing was also full of kids (and teens)...thus, probably why it was like Tom Brady winning the Super Bowl at that ending scene...

2 hours ago, YourMother said:

The most interesting thing from Paws of Fury is it’s the first time Paramount is using Nickelodeon Movies to distribute a movie by itself.

(On a side note, honestly why didn’t Paramount slap a Paramount Animation and/or a Nickelodeon Movies logo with either Sonic considering they’ve been all about brand-building)

In my showing, Paws of Fury was the last preview - as it ended, 3 people said "welp, that looks like a straight to digital movie"...it's awful, especially when compared to the previews of Minions, Lightyear, and even Bad Guys (3 others we got).

PS - The nostalgia laid on for the Harry Potter preview - Oh Lordy, it was a "please forget the last movie and remember all the others ones you loved"...maybe it works...

14 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

I know you hate non-IPs, but you don’t drop a Super Bowl trailer for a movie you “know” is a “dump”.

Still hilarious how you think I "hate non-IPs"

• Haha 5

I'm still looking forward to seeing Ambulance but I'm not even remotely shocked by its low numbers, movies of this sort arguably haven't been major multiplex draws since the 90s. At least there's no chance of it being a pathetic flop for the ages like, say, Moonfall was.

7 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

In my showing, Paws of Fury was the last preview - as it ended, 3 people said "welp, that looks like a straight to digital movie"...it's awful, especially when compared to the previews of Minions, Lightyear, and even Bad Guys (3 others we got).

PS - The nostalgia laid on for the Harry Potter preview - Oh Lordy, it was a "please forget the last movie and remember all the others ones you loved"...maybe it works...

I mentioned in the tracking thread yesterday that Cinemark and other chains are currently in the middle of a one-each-day Harry Potter marathon that concludes on Wednesday, and are skipping on bringing back either of the Fantastic Beasts movies. If that doesn't scream "no confidence in the new movie," I'm not sure what does.

• Like 2

Anyway, now to the Sonic grades - 2 movies in a row, I'm now the low grader - not sure what's happened to my fam, but they have loved their last 2 outings...

Me - B- - it's decent...I liked there is an actual functioning plot and some of the jokes are good.  I enjoyed my time, but it's not Hamlet...and since I'm not a Sonic stan, well, I'm not even a Sonic game player, some stuff goes past me and my kids explain it to me.

Spouse - B - Wildly higher than his grade for Sonic 1.  He said it's a wildly better movie.

Oldest girl - B+ - Loved it, but realizes it's not high cinema.  Compared viewing this to viewing Aquaman - loving it, but feeling some shame at loving not great cinema.

2nd girl - B+

Oldest boy - A - Love.

Youngest boy - A- - Love, but won't admit it:).

The girls are the uber-Sonic game players, although all my kids are up on all Sonic.  If you're clueless, you'll still enjoy the movie, and to be fair, there is one "people" arc that I wish had gone longer b/c it's the funniest arc in the movie...

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I mentioned in the tracking thread yesterday that Cinemark and other chains are currently in the middle of a one-each-day Harry Potter marathon that concludes on Wednesday, and are skipping on bringing back either of the Fantastic Beasts movies. If that doesn't scream "no confidence in the new movie," I'm not sure what does.

Well, Fast and Furious did the same at Cinemark for their last movie, so it's not a death knell...I saw it as a "please forgive us and see this new one" move myself...

41 minutes ago, AJG said:

A sad end for Ambulance.

Michael Bay needs to head over to King Kevin and see if he has any work available.

37 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

A Bay+Feige joint would be something to behold!

Didn't realize we'd reached the MadLibs stage of the weekend thread

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

How am I always the one warned against Legion whenever I make correct points and mention obvious biases due to Marvel favoritism?  Tell Legion to ignore me or ignore anyone who doesn't bow down and praise everything that isn't produced by Feige.

Can't say about past but today you are the one coming out of nowhere and throwing "you hate xyz" on Legion. May be you are the one who need to ignore Legion because he in no place mentioned you.

Exhibit 

55 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

I know you hate non-IPs, but you don’t drop a Super Bowl trailer for a movie you “know” is a “dump”.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

25 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

How am I always the one warned against Legion whenever I make correct points and mention obvious biases due to Marvel favoritism?  Tell Legion to ignore me or ignore anyone who doesn't bow down and praise everything that isn't produced by Feige.

Simple. You started it.

Legion simply said he felt there wasn't a big ad campaign for Ambulance and felt there wasn't a lot of appeal for the movie. Then you decided to go after him for "hating non-IP movies". If you responded with "I don't think it's fair to say Universal didn't have faith, because they put out a big Super Bowl ad for Ambulance", then nobody on the staff would have had a problem. And while Legion might have said something in disagreement, he would not be upset over that. But you decided to start a fight with him and go after him for literally no reason. Did you need to? Was the universe going to explode if you didn't go after Legion for being a huge Marvel fan and was super biased and hates all movies that aren't made by Marvel? Last I checked, that's not the case. So why do it? If a user was attacking you for being a huge Paul Thomas Anderson fan, we would do the exact same thing and go after that user.

As for the "Tell Legion to ignore me" stuff...we have. I not only gave him a warning point, but I also @ed him a couple weeks ago and told him to knock it off. the past. And when he decided to have the last word, we gave him warnings over it. Here's the proof below. I've also gone into harsh arguments with him many times in the past, so please don't act like we are specifically targeting you or that I think Legion is 100% innocent here.

And now let me end it with this. I notice every time you get even as something as slight as a verbal warning, you antagonize and criticize both the staff and the forum in general. So my question to you this is: why are you here? I will be the first to admit that I am far from a perfect mod. I've made mistakes, said things I shouldn't have said, and I have been passionate about the things I feel in ways that alienate a lot of people. And I understand that options for box office specifically are limited, and that BOT has a fair share of problems. I've been vocal about this stuff for a good long while. But if you don't like how a forum is run, the people who are in it, or any other big reasons that detract from your enjoyment, why continue to post in that forum in the first place? There are other forums and social media sites where you can talk about movies and box office.

I know this sounds really harsh and rude, and I hate saying this, because you are a really interesting guy who I think brings a lot of value to this site. But at the end of the day, it's kind of a waste of time to stick around in a place you don't like. Just food for thought.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1