YM!

April 8th-10th Weekend Thread | $72m OW Sonic 2, biggest Paramount opener since 2014, $8.69m OW for AmbuLAnce, $6m+ for EEAAO

11 minutes ago, ViewerAnon said:

What does me sitting at home alone eating eight plates of nachos have to do with anything

Well you see, some people like to celebrate by going to a movie theater alone and eating eight plates of nachos

Edited by Thanos Legion

12 minutes ago, KnucklesXXR said:

With the inflation in ticket prices the last 12 months, it needs $68M or so to match the same amount of tickets sold as the first. IMO it's a bit underwhelming if it can't beat that mark.

fair point - on a covid curve i would take it though, especially since legs will almost certainly be better than the first one

8 minutes ago, RobrtmanAStarWarsReference said:

Both of my showings were pretty kid fulled, especially the second one.

also yeah, Paws of Fury looks bad lmao

The most interesting thing from Paws of Fury is it’s the first time Paramount is using Nickelodeon Movies to distribute a movie by itself.

(On a side note, honestly why didn’t Paramount slap a Paramount Animation and/or a Nickelodeon Movies logo with either Sonic considering they’ve been all about brand-building)

9 minutes ago, YourMother said:

@Eevin Good to see you back. How’s it been?

thanks! i got burned out from the box office way back from all the last jedi discourse, but i started lurking again during NWH’s run and have been getting back into it ever since. weird to think i was 15 the last time i was here though lol. good to see everyone again

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eevin said:

thanks! i got burned out from the box office way back from all the last jedi discourse, but i started lurking again during NWH’s run and have been getting back into it ever since. weird to think i was 15 the last time i was here though lol. good to see everyone again

Ah. Yeah, time sure flies. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eevin said:

You wisely came back in time for the incoming onslaught of Doctor Strange 2 Thor 4 Black Panther 2 Jurassic World: Dominion!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, YourMother said:

The most interesting thing from Paws of Fury is it’s the first time Paramount is using Nickelodeon Movies to distribute a movie by itself.

(On a side note, honestly why didn’t Paramount slap a Paramount Animation and/or a Nickelodeon Movies logo with either Sonic considering they’ve been all about brand-building)

Maybe Sega didn't want them to, or they want Sonic associated with Paramount proper?

23 minutes ago, Eevin said:

fair point - on a covid curve i would take it though, especially since legs will almost certainly be better than the first one

Not having your entire theatrical run completely killed off in the 5th week is definitely a pretty huge advantage of the second movie compared to the first one.

• Like 1

https://deadline.com/2022/04/sonic-the-hedgehog-2-ambulance-weekend-box-office-2-1234997180/

No, family moviegoers were never gone. They turned Spider-Man: No Way Home into the third highest movie of all-time with $803M, and they kept Sing 2 in the top 10, 14 out of the pic’s 15 weekends. And further underscoring that family audiences haven’t lost their appetite for moviegoing during the pandemic is Paramount’s Sonic the Hedgehog 2, which we hear from industry source is bound for a $23-$26M Friday (including $6.25M previews), for what looks to be at this moment as a $60M-$65M opening at 4,234 theaters. That’s higher than the $58M 3-day of the first movie. That’s the 5th slamdunk, No 1 opening by Paramount during the pandemic after A Quiet Place: Part II, Scream, Jackass Forever and The Lost City. There’s a great optimism out there among sources that Sonic 2 will go higher once matinees take effect.

Off the road, and broken down is Universal/Endeavor Content’s Michael Bay action film, Ambulance, with a $2.8M estimated Friday and $7.25M opening at 3,412 theaters in 4th place. And the movie has all the Imax screens. Now, before we blame this person, that person, and Bay, the movie serves as a reality check as moviegoing roars back. Essentially, moviegoers have become more discerning during the pandemic, and they’re particularly choosey about the types of movies they’ll see. A Marvel, DC, Sonic the Hedgehog, is worth the price, but if it looks like an action film they’ve seen on a Netflix queue, they’re not going to go out of their way to see it. Ambulance is obviously on a 17-day window, and given that, well, older dudes will wait to see this at home. All of this despite the movie notching the best reviews of Bay’s career, and Jake Gyllenhaal doing quite well in the role. Times have changed, and a brilliant movie such as 1994’s Speed would have a hard time in today’s moviegoing economy. Furthermore, when it comes to action films in today’s cinemas, it’s the superhero films that have it all. Everything else is B-rated. Ambulance came to together in November 2020.

Meanwhile, a movie like Lost Citya combo of romantic comedy and adventure; that’s a different genre we don’t see all the time. It’s not overabundant, and because it had the right star package, opened to $30.4M. The Sandra Bullock-Channing Tatum movie in weekend 3 at 3,797 theaters is seeing $2.5M today, -42% from a week ago for a 3-day of $8.5M-$9M in 3rd, -39%, for a running total of $68.6M on the high end by Sunday.

Sony’s Morbius booked at 4,268 theaters is out of blood in weekend 2 with $9M-$9.3M in 2nd, -76% on the high end, for a running total of $56.1M. The movie crossed $100M WW yesterday; its current cume being $102.7M before the weekend.

Warner Bros.’ The Batman in weekend 6 is seeing $6M-$6.3M, -43%, for a running total of $358.8M in 5th at 3,254 locations.

Sixth place right now is going to A24’s Everything Everywhere All at Once with a $5M third weekend off 1,250 theaters (+1,212) and an expected running total by Sunday of $7.2M.

Edited by BadOlCatSylvester
  • Like 3

That Morbius drop (we really need a Morbius emoji on here please... mods make it happen @Eric the Hedgehog).

7M is pitiful for Ambulance. After seeing it, I’m convinced this would have made 100M domestic had it come out 15 years ago (partly because it 100% feels like a Denzel movie from the late 2000s).

• Haha 1

Yea Ambulance's numbers are horrific (especially when you consider how much PLF it's getting) but I find all of these numbers to be weak. Time to stop caring about movies for 4 weeks. 

Edited by KnucklesXXR