YM!

April 8th-10th Weekend Thread | $72m OW Sonic 2, biggest Paramount opener since 2014, $8.69m OW for AmbuLAnce, $6m+ for EEAAO

• Founder / Operator

Universal should have opened Ambulance in January or February, but I guess hindsight is 20/20. Too much competition for the male audience between it, Sonic and Morbius(ish).

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Shawn said:

Universal should have opened Ambulance in January or February, but I guess hindsight is 20/20. Too much competition for the male audience between it, Sonic and Morbius(ish).

I think both it and The Bad Guys should’ve opened in mid March. Ambulance on the 18th and Bad Guys on the 11th. Good counterprogramming and less competition for both.

• Like 1

• Founder / Operator
Just now, YourMother said:

I think both it and The Bad Guys should’ve opened in mid March. Ambulance on the 18th and Bad Guys on the 11th. Good counterprogramming and less competition for both.

Very good point, I like that combo. Especially since Disney bailed with Turning Red (re: Bad Guys).

• Like 1

Well, looks like the summer is going to be ruled by Doctor Strange, Jurassic World and Thor. At this point, no other movie release really seems to matter for the public.

Lightyear MAY break out as counterprogramming/companion programming.

At the moment, Microsoft lists a May 24th digital release for Sonic. May 10th for Lost City and May 17th for Morbius. . . and if Ambulance follows the traditional 17ish day route for digital rental release, it would be around the last week of April.

Edited by Yandereprime101189
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Shawn said:

Very good point, I like that combo. Especially since Disney bailed with Turning Red (re: Bad Guys).

Not to mention Dreamworks’ success with the March month and the fact Batman is less of a threat for families than dealing with Beasts and Sonic as Strange clips the legs. The second either Turning Red or Super Pets moved, The Bad Guys should’ve taken the spot.

18 minutes ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

Well, looks like the summer is going to be ruled by Doctor Strange, Jurassic World and Thor. At this point, no other movie release really seems to matter for the public.

Lightyear MAY break out as counterprogramming/companion programming.

At the moment, Microsoft lists a May 24th digital release for Sonic. May 10th for Lost City and May 17th for Morbius. . . and if Ambulance follows the traditional 17ish day route for digital rental release, it would be around the last week of April.

Pretty sure Lightyear will make 300s

If the Lost City can only do like 90M total in today's marketplace, I would have get rid of Shotgun Wedding as well. Can't blame Lionsgate with that one. 

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

What's the last blockbuster that Bay directed that wasn't a franchise?

Are those days over?

there's not a whole lot to draw from, his only attempt at creating an original blockbuster since The Island was a Netflix original. even Ambulance only cost $40M, can't imagine they expected it to do much more than 50M or so domestic

• Like 1

Ambulance got treated as a dump by the studios because they knew it would be treated as a dump by the audience.   

Maybe the marginal dollar of ad spend would have positive ROI. Maybe not.

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

1 minute ago, Thanos Legion said:

Ambulance got treated as a dump by the studios because they knew it would be treated as a dump by the audience.   

Maybe the marginal dollar of ad spend would have positive ROI. Maybe not.

I know you hate non-IPs, but you don’t drop a Super Bowl trailer for a movie you “know” is a “dump”.