YM!

April 8th-10th Weekend Thread | $72m OW Sonic 2, biggest Paramount opener since 2014, $8.69m OW for AmbuLAnce, $6m+ for EEAAO

9 hours ago, Eric the Hedgehog said:

This generation is doomed.

As it turns out, the kid behind me was super excited when Lose Yourself played over the Minions 2 trailer. Even sung to it while the trailer played. I guess this generation isn't doomed after all.

1 minute ago, Eric the Hedgehog said:

As it turns out, the kid behind me was super excited when Lose Yourself played over the Minions 2 trailer. Even sung to it while the trailer played. I guess this generation isn't doomed after all.

What trailers did you get?

1 hour ago, Shawn said:

Hearing $24-25M with previews included based on Friday matinee business. Possible (maybe likely) it could go up.

If this comes in at $24M, that'd mean a true Friday slightly lower than the first one's $17.9M, wouldn't it?

58 minutes ago, CJohn said:

25-25-17

Fuck theaters. This shit can't even do 70M OW. People aren't coming back.

Sad Lonely GIF by Pokémon

I don't know what drugs you're on, because that would be nothing short of terrific for a family movie sequel when most of those tend to fall off hard from the first film.

Again, families (in the US anyway) as a viable target audience are pretty much gone thanks to COVID. They can wait for digital without a hitch. That kills any chance of a Dark Knight-style breakout from ever happening.

This is going to play out far more like a Marvel movie than a family movie. It's up to that demographic as well as the Sonic fandom to make it a hit. And thankfully the latter is a pretty big fandom.

If I were Paramount I would honestly go for a somewhat more mature PG-13 story for part 3. Kids won't see these until VoD anymore, so why not take advantage of that and add some hot sauce to this franchise?

3 minutes ago, YourMother said:

What trailers did you get?

Lightyear, Minions 2, DC Super Pets, The Bad Guys, Top Gun 2 (kinda out of place, but I know Paramount probably didn't have many options), and something called Paws of Fury. The last one looked insufferable with the most painfully awful fart joke I've ever seen, but of course that's the one trailer that kids lost their mind at...I guess this generation is doomed after all.

Just now, BadOlCatSylvester said:

I don't know what drugs you're on, because that would be nothing short of terrific for a family movie sequel when most of those tend to fall off hard from the first film.

Again, families (in the US anyway) as a viable target audience are pretty much gone thanks to COVID. They can wait for digital without a hitch. That kills any chance of a Dark Knight-style breakout from ever happening.

This is going to play out far more like a Marvel movie than a family movie. It's up to that demographic as well as the Sonic fandom to make it a hit. And thankfully the latter is a pretty big fandom.

If I were Paramount I would honestly go for a somewhat more mature PG-13 story for part 3. Kids won't see these until VoD anymore, so why not take advantage of that and add some hot sauce to this franchise?

Literally my entire showing was full of 6-10 year-olds. Can you not with this whole "kids are never coming back to the movies UwU"

• Like 6

Lightyear, Minions 2, DC Super Pets, The Bad Guys, Top Gun 2 (kinda out of place, but I know Paramount probably didn't have many options), and something called Paws of Fury. The last one looked insufferable with the most painfully awful fart joke I've ever seen, but of course that's the one trailer that kids lost their mind at...I guess this generation is doomed after all.

Kind of surprised they chose Maverick instead of doing a Secret Headquarters trailer as it’s a family movie but I guess they’re saving that for Doctor Strange as superhero stuff. 

Paws of Fury looks not good, the Samuel Jackson PG-motherlover line wasn’t funny. Kind of glad for the creators as this movie finally got released after like six years of distribution purgatory.

Literally my entire showing was full of 6-10 year-olds. Can you not with this whole "kids are never coming back to the movies UwU"

Yeah, agreed. If anything Sonic 2 is proof that families are coming back. My screening was also mostly full of 6-14 year old children as well.

29 minutes ago, Eevin said:

lot of dooming over the sonic numbers. even the worst-case scenario (something like 24 - 22 - 15 = 61m) would still beat sonic 1 numbers, with a high chance of becoming the biggest video game movie ever and the biggest family movie since frozen 2. it will be fiiine  

With the inflation in ticket prices the last 12 months, it needs $68M or so to match the same amount of tickets sold as the first. IMO it's a bit underwhelming if it can't beat that mark.

17 minutes ago, datpepper said:

I find it amazing that a Minions 2 trailer played before both the first and second Sonic movies. That has to be a first of some kind.

Sky (a UK TV/internet company owned by Comcast) have been using the same Minions 2 tie in ads for 2+ years now. I’ve seen nothing like it.

50-A1-A7-C0-9715-413-F-AB1-C-F076-E6-DB2

Edited by AJG