YM!

April 8th-10th Weekend Thread | $72m OW Sonic 2, biggest Paramount opener since 2014, $8.69m OW for AmbuLAnce, $6m+ for EEAAO

3 minutes ago, KnucklesXXR said:

Why would it?

S1 = $59M

S2 = $65M

S3 = $100M?? 

S2 is more like 75M. S1 would have been like 53 or something without the double holiday boost. S1 was a first entry and didn’t leave that much hook for S2 whereas there is a big hook for S3

5 minutes ago, KnucklesXXR said:

Why would it?

S1 = $59M

S2 = $65M

S3 = $100M?? 

I’m thinking closer to $70m for Sonic 2 but 

Spoiler

A hyped character returns that got insane reactions for the mid credit scene even more so than Tails, from the first.

Frankly, the S2 boost isn’t that big. I honestly expected 100m for it. Why do the marvel sequels enjoy such big boosts when they already have a clear fanbase and Sonic can’t do it?

Edited by Maggie
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Yeah I love how in Transformers 2 we visually see someone ask for toilet paper with their pants at their ankles.

Apart from like Far From Home, I don’t think there’s a MCU movie as bad as Transformers 2 or Transformers 5, yes. Hell, I’m not even saying the Transformers movies are better than the MCU movies from a quality perspective. What I am saying though is the film for better or worse tend to be more thorough in terms of production design and visuals. I like the MCU a lot but from the visual department for the past four years (ie 2018-2022), they are easily at best passable in terms of visuals and often inconsistent.

3 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Frankly, the S2 boost isn’t that big. I honestly expected 100m for it. Why do the marvel sequels enjoy such big boosts when they already have a clear fanbase and Sonic can’t do it?

You’ve been expected an underperformance for this for the past few months lmao.

5 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Apart from like Far From Home, I don’t think there’s a MCU movie as bad as Transformers 2 or Transformers 5, yes. Hell, I’m not even saying the Transformers movies are better than the MCU movies from a quality perspective. What I am saying though is the film for better or worse tend to be more thorough in terms of production design and visuals. I like the MCU a lot but from the visual department for the past four years (ie 2018-2022), they are easily at best passable in terms of visuals and often inconsistent.

The past four years? Generally I would say the 2018-2022 stuff is better visually than the 2016 and older stuff. 

9 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

S2 is more like 75M. S1 would have been like 53 or something without the double holiday boost. S1 was a first entry and didn’t leave that much hook for S2 whereas there is a big hook for S3

9 minutes ago, YourMother said:

I’m thinking closer to $70m for Sonic 2 but 

Hide contents

A hyped character returns that got insane reactions for the mid credit scene even more so than Tails, from the first.

All of S2's boost over S1 is ticket price inflation based. Even if you drop 10% off S1 for the holidays, then S2 will do basically 10% more in actual ticket sales. Nothing about S2 makes me think S3 will suddenly get a 40% jump in OW ticket sales. As for the (redacted) in S2....

Spoiler

That doesn't appeal to anyone new. It appeals to Sonic fans and they're already watching it. So my prediction for S3 is S2 + whatever the average change in ticket prices is between now and its release. 

Sonic 3 will do like 70M, we'll all cry about it and say it should have done more, and then we just move on with our lives, while Paramount greenlights a Sonic 4 and like 2 more Paramount+ shows. Count on it.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, KnucklesXXR said:

All of S2's boost over S1 is ticket price inflation based. Even if you drop 10% off S1 for the holidays, then S2 will do basically 10% more in actual ticket sales. Nothing about S2 makes me think S3 will suddenly get a 40% jump in OW ticket sales. As for the (redacted) in S2....

Reveal hidden contents

Appealing to fans creates more hype for audiences as well because fans spread the hype to the general audience. 

I would say Sonic 2 increasing over Sonic 1 at all in actual ticket sales is pretty good, considering the first had a lot of free publicity and positive buzz from the redesign, and was also the first big-screen adaptation of the character, which is imo a stronger hook than what Sonic 2 had. Sonic 3 vs Sonic 2 will (at least according to the Sonic fans here) have a much stronger hook, so could have a pretty big increase. 

Edited by Menor Reborn
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, KnucklesXXR said:

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

I mean at first one could agree Thanos being introduced was just for the MCU fans. This character is like probably the second most popular in the series.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

The past four years? Generally I would say the 2018-2022 stuff is better visually than the 2016 and older stuff. 

Apart from Eternals, I haven’t really been impressed that much visuals (again not saying these movies are bad, I like all of these ones but FFH). Black Panther and Shang-Chi both have really strong production design and some well-executed scenes in the first two acts, however some wonky CGI kind of holds both of them back from the spectacle based third act. No Way Home which again was the best live action Spider-Man movie in fourteen years on second glance looks inferior in visual quality from both Far From Home and The Amazing Spider-Man 2, which looks far better and crisper. Infinity War and Endgame are also solid in terms of visuals and CGI but I’m in the minority that the final battle in Endgame looks too murky. 

22 minutes ago, YourMother said:

I give Bay props on suspenseful action and his best movies have emotional highs.

But he's put some stupid trash in the Transformers movies.

He should go to an IP that desperately needs a boost. Where he can freely inject his toilet humor.

22 minutes ago, KnucklesXXR said:

Reveal hidden contents

10% inflation+20% admits increase will pretty much get the job done.

46 minutes ago, KnucklesXXR said:

Why would it?

S1 = $59M

S2 = $65M

S3 = $100M?? 

Hoping for more than 65M for the weekend. Maybe 70M.