Eric Prime

Cinemacon 2022 Discussion Thread

22 minutes ago, Eric is a furry said:
Sizzle reel time
New Ghostbusters is coming
We saw about .5 seconds of Madame Web and Kraven no costumes

The Ghostbusters sequel is one of the most interesting box office runs to follow. It will tell us if there was love for the new characters or if it was just nostalgia that worked for the first one.

• Like 1

So in the past week both Spider-Man and Puss in Boots have vacated their fall spots. The emptiness of August/September/early October just goes to show that the impact of COVID is still being felt. Maybe one or more of The Woman King, Bros, Don't Worry Darling, etc. will surprise.

1 minute ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

First cinemacon i've ever followed

Was sony presentation this year better than what they usually show?

It's the same. The job of Cinemacon is to hype up the movies. Unless something looks like it really sucks, it's just hype hype hype from all presentations.

2 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

First cinemacon i've ever followed

Was sony presentation this year better than what they usually show?

Just now, grim22 said:

It's the same. The job of Cinemacon is to hype up the movies. Unless something looks like it really sucks, it's just hype hype hype from all presentations.

Pretty much. Also, plenty of awards that were obviously paid for by the studios. Look at their past recipients for the Stars of Tomorrow awards and you'll find plenty of people whose careers went nowhere (the stars of Sorority Row?!).

• Like 1

I feel good about Bros and Don't Worry Darling taking off.

Don't Worry Darling is genre/horror, high-concept, and powered by a huge celeb in Styles and a hot/rising actress with Pugh. Those are ripe ingredients for breakout. If it does fest circuit and gets awards buzz = $$$$

Bros has been scoring very highly at test screenings. Universal moved it to take advantage of a TIFF premiere slot. Apatow is more than capable of drawing audiences (this is a mix of The Big Sick + Trainwreck). Being the first gay major studio comedy is a great headline for buzz

I thought the Sony presentation was largely pretty damn good.  They have a ton of stuff in production and they showed off a lot of it.  Here are some highlights along with notes on a few things nobody has mentioned yet....

- Bullet Train was awesome.  It's going to own late July and August.  

- Where the Crawdads Sing is going to be a hit.  Reese Witherspoon splashed all over it and an original new song by Taylor Swift. 

- The Woman King footage was great and Viola was incredible as always.  I didn't love how the trailer was put together, but it has real potential in that spot where a lot of diverse films do well.  

- Across the Spider-Verse and Beyond are of course going to be massive hits.  The crowd loved the footage.  

- A Man Called Otto had a really funny scene shown.  Tom Hanks Oscar bait.  

- 65 had some footage

- Devotion had a few quick shots of footage, mostly aerial battles

- George Foreman had a surprising amount of footage from a movie that is only half way through production.  Might be good.  

- El Muerto is obscure, but based on the acting we saw from Bad Bunny in Bullet Train (he was very good), it has some potential.  

- I Wanna Dance With Somebody - quick shots in the sizzle reel

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Manny G said:

I too would like an update on Olivia’s Wilde Spider-Woman? That was Sony right? What happened to that movie?

It wasn't mentioned here, so it's not a priority for the studio right now. I certainly wouldn't be surprised to see Wilde leave since I don't really see her as a tentpole filmmaker.

Just a prediction: El Muerto will be another Marvel/Sony movie that won't cross 200M WW. 

A actor can't save a movie. No one cares about El Muerto. Anothet anti-hero story. Sony will have terribly mediocre writters and director to make a... display of footage that will be called a movie by some. 

And God bless the writers and their source material of 2 issues from the comics. 

Also. The villain will be exactly what the hero is, but evil. 

EL Muerto will also have very natural writing to explain his decision to join the Sinister Six and fight Spider-Man. 

Sony's Sinister Six : The Tale of Anti-Heroes that decide to turn into villains to fight Spider-Man, even if they have no reason to. 

• Haha 4

47 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

While reactions are typical "everything looks awesome and everything will be a huge hit", this is my favorite event. I hope Disney shows Avatar 2 footage and/or trailer. That's the one I'm most interested rn. 

I hope it forces them to pull out the thesaurus