Eric Prime

Weekend Thread (4/29-5/2) | Our Annual Late April Calm Before the Storm

https://deadline.com/2022/04/box-office-doctor-strange-2-bad-guys-1235013663/

As such, this weekend will see Universal/DreamWorks Animation’s The Bad Guys at No. 1 again in weekend 2 with $14.4M, -40% for a ten-day total by tomorrow of $42.7M. With nothing else on the marquee, wouldn’t be surprising after matinees today if this goes higher. And all the other family fare is holding onto their top spots, i.e. Paramount’s Sonic the Hedgehog 2 is eyeing a fourth weekend of $9.7M, -38% for a running total of $159.3M and Warner Bros.’ Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore with an estimated $7.5M in weekend 3, -46%, with a running cume of $78.8M by EOD Sunday.

Continuing to show proof that there’s an appetite for original fare at the box office, is the amazing hold being posted by A24’s Everything Everywhere All at Once which is seeing $5.3m in weekend 6, dipping a great 2% for a running total of $35.2M. This pic is easily headed to $40M+.

Open Road is zigging to the major studio’s zagging, putting out their wide entry of Liam Neeson’s action movie, Memoryfrom Martin Campbell, which is eyeing $3.1M at 2,555. While I’m sure exhibition is thankful always for new product, what’s upsetting here is that in an improved marketplace, the feature is doing similar business to what other Neeson Open Road pics were doing when NYC and LA were closed, i.e. The Marksman ($3.1M) and Honest Thief ($4.1M). Well, it’s all about home ancillaries and dudes for these Neeson cookie cutter action titles.

• Like 2

https://deadline.com/2022/04/box-office-doctor-strange-2-bad-guys-1235013663/

This weekend will see Universal/DreamWorks Animation’s The Bad Guys at No. 1 again in weekend 2 with $14.4M, -40% for a ten-day total by tomorrow of $42.7M. With nothing else on the marquee, wouldn’t be surprising after matinees today if this goes higher. And all the other family fare is holding onto their top spots, i.e. Paramount’s Sonic the Hedgehog 2 is eyeing a fourth weekend of $9.7M, -38% for a running total of $159.3M and Warner Bros.’ Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore with an estimated $7.5M in weekend 3, -46%, with a running cume of $78.8M by EOD Sunday.

Continuing to show proof that there’s an appetite for original fare at the box office, is the amazing hold being posted by A24’s Everything Everywhere All at Once which is seeing $5.3m in weekend 6, dipping a great 2% for a running total of $35.2M. This pic is easily headed to $40M+.

Open Road is zigging to the major studio’s zagging, putting out their wide entry of Liam Neeson’s action movie, Memoryfrom Martin Campbell, which is eyeing $3.1M at 2,555. While I’m sure exhibition is thankful always for new product, what’s upsetting here is that in an improved marketplace, the feature is doing similar business to what other Neeson Open Road pics were doing when NYC and LA were closed, i.e. The Marksman ($3.1M) and Honest Thief ($4.1M). Well, it’s all about home ancillaries and dudes for these Neeson cookie cutter action titles.

Edited by BadOlCatSylvester
  • Like 1

With EEAAO being at 35m by the end of the weekend, it should be around 40m by the end of MoM’s OW. As long as it keeps on trucking, it should top Uncut Gems to be A24’s biggest movie, and with luck maybe $55m+.

Honestly was confused by talks of Sonic having a 11m-12m weekend by some analysts, didn’t make much sense to be but it had its first good hold in weeks.

• Like 3

Solid hold for The Bad Guys, hope it does well enough for a sequel. $80m-$90m is what it’ll be aiming for but who knows if it has an absurdly good (which I highly doubt) against Strange maybe it’ll go higher. 

Also, Dumbledore may not do over Deathly Hallows opening day, that is utterly hilarious.

Just now, Flopped said:

Maaaaaybe it clears 100M by the skin of its teeth? 

Mother's Day is next Sunday so it should have another strong hold despite the Doctor Strange onslaught, and then it'll hold onto enough theaters until a possible Paramount double feature bump with Top Gun. Might end up not even needing a whole lot of assistance to get past the mark.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Mother's Day is next Sunday so it should have another strong hold despite the Doctor Strange onslaught, and then it'll hold onto enough theaters until a possible Paramount double feature bump with Top Gun. Might end up not even needing a whole lot of assistance to get past the mark.

I can't remember - Mother's Day is a big moviegoing day for women? Mom-daughter lunch and a movie kinda thing? 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Everything Everywhere is looking pretty much locked to become A24's biggest movie at this point, and might end up legging it out to nearly $60M. Definitely one of the more remarkable runs in quite some time.

Just putting it out there I approve of this abbreviation so much more than EIEIO

5 minutes ago, Flopped said:

I can't remember - Mother's Day is a big moviegoing day for women? Mom-daughter lunch and a movie kinda thing? 

Sunday holds for female-targeted movies on Mother's Day in the past five years:

2019: The Hustle (+6.6%), Poms (+28.9%)

2018: Breaking In (+28.2%), Life of the Party (+13.3%), Overboard (+17.8%), A Wrinkle in Time (+26%)

2017: Snatched (+24.4%), Beauty and the Beast (-2.9%), How to Be a Latin Lover (+23.3%)

The short answer is "yes."

• Like 4

Everything Everywhere is a pure word-of-mouth-driven smash, the likes of which we haven't seen in a long long time. Not only is it going to become one of A24's biggest success stories but its box office performance should cement it as an undeniable film in the Oscar race later this year. There is still a theatrical market for independent movies after all. 

• Like 1