Eric Duncan

Weekend Thread (4/29-5/2) | Our Annual Late April Calm Before the Storm

8 hours ago, Flopped said:

It's a big success story but it did cost 25M. This is not some Big Fat Greek Wedding costing 4M and grossing 240M in the US type jaw dropper. 

in the era of cinema being declared ‘dead’ by many, I’d argue it’s just as big a deal. 

Edited by wildphantom
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

They will make sure it crosses $100M.

On the one hand, it will hit P+ after next weekend, but on the other, it’s certainly going to get paired with Top Gun in the drive ins and Memorial Day is a strong drive in weekend.

meanwhile, EEAAO could have a strong hold as the likely backup choice if Strange is sold out.

Edited by Felandria
  • Like 1

Really good holds across the board. EEAAO is shaping up to be a true sleeper hit. Bad Guys has a very good hold and Sonic 2 has its first really nice hold in its run so far. Even Northman didnt suffer a bad hold, -49% is solid.

• Like 5

Just note that "The Northman" has bigger 2nd Sat bump than "The Last Duel" and "West Side Story" ("The Northman" 2nd Sat bump is around 50%.  "The Last Duel" was 35.3% and "West Side Story" was 31.2%)

"The Northman" wouldn't made it budget back at box office, but this film is definitely helpful for luring older audience back to theaters.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, tawasal said:

Small chance for Morbious to reach 78m and get over 2x multi if it doesn't get served swift death by the doctor. 

It needs 6.6m more for that of a 1.5m weekend (so needs to add 4.4 times this weekend), that seems more like a no chance with DSMOM than a small chance.

• Like 1

Really strong holds across the board thanks to nothing of note coming out (time to hang up the action roles for good, Liam!). Of course, it remains to be seen how harsh the drops will be next weekend with Doctor Strange about to suck up most of the oxygen and auditorium space.

21 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

WOM clearly decent for FB3. If the US and U.K. hadn’t dropped so significantly from the last one then it would have delivered a good overall total. Still, not a disaster by any means.  

I disagree. Context matters: This is the trajectory of the franchise:

FB1: 814M --> FB2: 655M --> FB3: 370-400M.

If i would be WB, i woundt be happy about this.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Yeah, given that it's supposed to be one of WB's big moneymakers, it's hard to imagine them being pleased with a franchise that's clearly fallen victim to the law of diminishing returns. If they make another one, the domestic total is definitely going below the opening weekend of the first movie ($74M).

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

I disagree. Context matters: This is the trajectory of the franchise:

FB1: 814M --> FB2: 655M --> FB3: 370-400M.

If i would be WB, i woundt be happy about this.

The other context that matters is the huge budget!

Edited by Illuminegion Confirmed
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Yeah, given that it's supposed to be one of WB's big moneymakers, it's hard to imagine them being pleased with a franchise that's clearly fallen victim to the law of diminishing returns. If they make another one, the domestic total is definitely going below the opening weekend of the first movie ($74M).

No if they make a really good new movie.

They only need a new(and better)Director and a good screenwriter. 

Edited by efialtes76
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, efialtes76 said:

No if they make a really good new movie.

They only need a new(and better)Director and a good screenwriter. 

Not really even if quality improves, the past two movies have gotten middling reception. Dumbledore needed to be well received by not just the fans for any prospects of a fourth to do well which it failed at. A hypothetical fourth like Dumbledore would fail to do 100m domestic and maybe decrease further OS.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, YourMother said:

Odd to see EEAAO success being trivialized considered it likely will be A24’s biggest film domestically (WW idk, likely not barring a UK breakout) but perhaps the biggest indie film in the past ten years. Budget regardless, it’s run is pretty damn impressive.

The IMAX preview screenings in the UK this Wednesday are selling quite well at my local, and evening screenings on the proper opening day on the 13th also seem to be doing decently at the cinemas that it’s currently on sale at, so I wouldn’t rule out a breakout if WOM is good and it can hold up in the shadow of DS2.

Edited by SnokesLegs
  • Like 1