SLAM!

Best Animated Feature 2022

On 12/15/2022 at 3:42 AM, cannastop said:

Marcel the Shell: NYFCC, NBR

GDT Pinocchio: LAFCA, Chicago

Turning Red: Boston

IDK the only one remaining I kind of care about is maybe Toronto. And they might be biased lol

Anyways, here’s how these animated movies rank on the top 50 of indiewire’s poll

#42: Turning Red

#34: Marcel the Shell with Shoes On

#33: Apollo 10 1/2

#23: GDT’s Pinocchio

https://www.indiewire.com/gallery/50-best-movies-2022-critics-poll/mcdgude-zx016/

Sounds like a good year for animation.

But there are still the BAFTAs…

There are two notable instances where the BAFTA choice for animated film didn’t match the Oscars’. 2016 with Kubo and the Two Strings and 2019 with Klaus.

So I think a BAFTA win for Pinocchio is likely… what happens in the Oscars is still idk to me. Maybe wishful thinking because I really like Turning Red.

Turning red is way better than Pinocchio. It is a shame Disney decided to release it directly in streaming. With a theatrical release it would have had the necessary push to win Animated Feature easily.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AniNate said:

In hindsight maybe TR should've been the fall release and Strange World the March one. TR differed enough from the other genre fare that it could've worked better as counterprogramming, I think.

well that assumes that these movies were ready and interchangeable on the schedule. Definitely would have wanted Turning Red in theaters of course.

Turning Red would have been a good fit for theaters though, even in March or November. Possibly not June because it might have been smothered by Top Gun 2 and that Jurassic movie like Lightyear was.

Didn't get a chance to see Strange World unfortunately. but it looked liked of mediocre tbh.  

This is probably gonna come down to GDT's Pinocchio and Turning Red tbh.  

Both good. but kind of a weak year for animation if you'd ask me. no Luca level greats this year. 

Edited by Kalo

https://annieawards.org/nominations

The race for the fifth slot is chaotic. Sea Beast/Wendell make it in here, Inu-Oh has a presence, PGA nominated Minions 2, and The Bad Guys is still lingering (albeit with dying chances)

I guess W&W is still the safest pick. Aside from Early Man, every single Laika and Aardman (Stop Motion) animated film has gotten nominated since the category's inception. The medium goes a LONG way with the academy and it will probably push this over the line.