filmlover

Saltburn | 11/17/23 NY/LA, 11/22 expansion | Amazon | Emerald Fennell's follow-up to Promising Young Woman | Rosamund Pike, Jacob Elordi, Barry Keoghan

music video ass movie

the form is pretty excellent, but it just feels empty content-wise

feels like it plays it way too straight (not sure that makes sense)

its fun all the way, but not anything more than that and after a certain point I think I stopped caring about this story

the "crazy" scenes didn't feel particularly crazy either

even if he does a good job here, I feel like keoghan will regret having passed on gladiator to wave his penis around

Edited by interiorgatordecorator
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

even if he does a good job here, I feel like keoghan will regret having passed on gladiator to wave his penis around

Not sure about this tbh, much like Pearl last year now that Saltburn is streaming the movie is blowing up really hard, it’s trending for 3 days now and keeps growing, it’s all over TikTok and he’s being highly praised for it.

It’s starting to feel like a genuine huge success that i’m not that sure Gladiator will be if the movie didn’t deliver (a strong possibility coming from Ridley Scott).

And iirc he didn’t dropped Gladiator for this, it was to shoot the new Andrea Arnold movie, which will probably also be better for his career quality-wise than with Ridley Scott.

Liked the movie. 

Yes it’s shallow and far from really disturbing or fascist like some lovers and detrators was saying, but shockingly entertaining even in it’s low points.

Rosamund Pike will always be that cunty talented mother, Jacob is very good here and hot, and Barry is amazing and also so hot every time he commands, we love a criminal bisexual king.

10 hours ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

music video ass movie

the form is pretty excellent, but it just feels empty content-wise

feels like it plays it way too straight (not sure that makes sense)

its fun all the way, but not anything more than that and after a certain point I think I stopped caring about this story

I’ll go ahead and say that the scene in question in Saltburn will be more memorable than anything in Gladiator 2. 

Yeah, Saltburn may not be the second coming but Scott has been mid to terrible with blockbusters for more than a decade now. Disappointing borderline fresh or downright rotten review percentage for Gladiator 2 incoming.

Keoghan ain't losing sleep. He's happy he got to be in close contact with Jacob Elordi

On 12/24/2023 at 1:44 AM, interiorgatordecorator said:

I think that they are crazy enough to get people talking and making TikTik vids of them but not crazy enough to turn people off. They are well balanced. Many crazier movies don't blow up precisely because they stepped into negative buzz. Saltburn's crazy is "I want to see that" it isn't "No thanks keep that shit away from me".

On 12/24/2023 at 7:49 AM, ThomasNicole said:

Liked the movie. 

Yes it’s shallow and far from really disturbing or fascist like some lovers and detrators was saying, but shockingly entertaining even in it’s low points.

Rosamund Pike will always be that cunty talented mother, Jacob is very good here and hot, and Barry is amazing and also so hot every time he commands, we love a criminal bisexual king.

I was surprised how much fun I had with this. Come to think of it, I'll revisit it soon. I think it'll have a great rewatch value.

Big shout to Ewen Mitchell for disappearing into a role (small but effective) as always, an actor to watch for sure.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I think that they are crazy enough to get people talking and making TikTik vids of them but not crazy enough to turn people off. They are well balanced. Many crazier movies don't blow up precisely because they stepped into negative buzz. Saltburn's crazy is "I want to see that" it isn't "No thanks keep that shit away from me".

I was surprised how much fun I had with this. Come to think of it, I'll revisit it soon. I think it'll have a great rewatch value.

Big shout to Ewen Mitchell for disappearing into a role (small but effective) as always, an actor to watch for sure.

I rewatched, it does hold up surprisingly well, even the stupid parts are so fun to watch.

I’m kinda baffled how so many people are hating it very strongly and making very serious essays about how it tries to be a Parasite 2.0 and fails

I simply can’t believe people really thinks a movie with the shot below is aiming to be a profound statement 

30 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I rewatched, it does hold up surprisingly well, even the stupid parts are so fun to watch.

I’m kinda baffled how so many people are hating it very strongly and making very serious essays about how it tries to be a Parasite 2.0 and fails

I simply can’t believe people really thinks a movie with the shot below is aiming to be a profound statement 

it tries to be fun and succeeds at being so, but near the end, when it starts running out of fun, the lack of depth seriously hurts it 

I actually like the ending and the twist that

Felix was a real good person and Oliver preyed on that. Felix didn't get tired of people as outsiders believed, he was betrayed. Previous BFF hit on his sister. Oliver not only did that but weaseled his way in by spinning a sympathetic story knowing that Felix had a good heart. Also, unlike his posse, Felix understood the absurdity of his lifestyle and jaded rich people like his family inc Farleigh. So it wasn't a story about a douche who gets what he deserves. Oliver was a douche all along. Felix was good.

I also don't mind the lack of depth because the story is about shallow people save

Felix

I think the only hinderance is that it was positioned as a prestige awards movie so some people expected that but if it was advertised as trashy fun which it is it would have been received better. Perhaps that's why it's blowing up on streaming. Expectations are lower so people are more receptive. Similar thing happened with trashy Gucci though that one was a pandemic hit in theaters too but really blew up on streaming, and The Last Duel (boxoffice flop, streaming sensation). Expectations make a difference.

finally saw this and I didn't like promising young woman so i thought maybe i'd be on the side of the haters but ended up enjoying it very much. I think the people mad about it are probably taking it too seriously. the whole thing is kind of a goof. Like a modern day Kind Hearts and Coronets. 

On 12/31/2023 at 5:27 AM, Valonqar said:

I actually like the ending and the twist that

Hide contents

Felix

I think the only hinderance is that it was positioned as a prestige awards movie so some people expected that but if it was advertised as trashy fun which it is it would have been received better. Perhaps that's why it's blowing up on streaming. Expectations are lower so people are more receptive. Similar thing happened with trashy Gucci though that one was a pandemic hit in theaters too but really blew up on streaming, and The Last Duel (boxoffice flop, streaming sensation). Expectations make a difference.

Not to derail thread, but have you made the positive case for TLD streaming numbers elsewhere?

1 hour ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

Not to derail thread, but have you made the positive case for TLD streaming numbers elsewhere?

I only remember what was said here that it blew up on streaming and Affleck I think even talked about it in an interview. but that was 2 years ago so maybe my memory is foggy.

The bathtub scene was actually not as crazy or wild as I expected since that is what everyone been talking about. The grave scene though had me mind blown away. 

Fenell’s direction isn’t quite live up to her ambitious. The movie oftenly skew too dramatic to be gothic and relies too much of sex to induce gothic art. The performance overall also doesn’t really fit the tone of the movie mainly because fenell simply didn’t inject satirical tone well enough. Pike and grant performance look overacted and keonghan character act too little. 

The only aspect seems to get what fenell’s idea is cinematography. 

• Like 1

The bathtub and blood scenes genuinely did gross me out so kudos to them for that. 

Spoiler

By the time it got to the grave scene I was like "of course he's gonna fuck the grave, whatever"

Didn't really care for this, idk just kinda lost interest halfway. Anyone else think it was lit really darkly and hard to see at times?