filmlover

Saltburn | 11/17/23 NY/LA, 11/22 expansion | Amazon | Emerald Fennell's follow-up to Promising Young Woman | Rosamund Pike, Jacob Elordi, Barry Keoghan

I really enjoyed this. I was expecting something more provocative as I'd heard several friends who either said it's "Insane" or that it's "Disgusting". Didnt think it was either of those but I just thought it was good fun.

Rosamund Pike is the MVP. They probably don't even have rehab in Liverpool.

Edited by Avatree

Great movie, easily one of the best from 2023. The people who complain about the content probably only saw blockbusters like Barbie last year. It's nothing compared to a lot of 60s or 70s movies.

And yes, Rosamund Pike is mother!

I enjoyed this, but I’m kind of glad it didn’t get any nominations. Not because I actually care, but because fans of this have been so annoying and holier-than-thou on the internet for the past couple weeks :lol:

The only movie that I’m actually mad got snubbed was Iron Claw lol.

empire city is always going on about how direct-to-digital movies never end up having any cultural impact

is there any reason to think that this wouldn't have exploded the way it did had it not had a theatrical release?

13 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

empire city is always going on about how direct-to-digital movies never end up having any cultural impact

is there any reason to think that this wouldn't have exploded the way it did had it not had a theatrical release?

I don’t think that’s fully or always true. Red White and Royal Blue was a streaming film and it got a fair amount of buzz. And a homoerotic film starring Jacob Elordi would definitely get buzz even if it was just on streaming. And there are a fair number of Netflix films that blow up as well.

But I think streaming films just usually get shorter and less intense marketing pushes compared to theatrical releases so there’s less “cultural impact”

On 1/24/2024 at 11:30 AM, interiorgatordecorator said:

Empire City says a lot of crap, frankly. 

8 minutes ago, grim22 said:

@excel1

Fox, who works on the Sydney-based The Kyle & Jackie O Show, explained his version of events on air, noting that he’d approached Elordi outside of a hotel to jokingly ask for some of his bathwater as a gift for programme host Jackie O...Fox by his own admission accosted Elordi as he left the pub on Saturday afternoon, while carrying a plastic tub labelled “Jacob Elordi’s bathwater”.

In the Emerald Fennell-directed erotic thriller, Elordi’s character Felix masturbates while taking a bath. Later, his friend Oliver (Barry Keoghan) licks the remnants of Felix’s bathwater from the plug... - https://www.aol.co.uk/news/jacob-elordi-involved-police-investigation-134209493.html

Elodi shouldn't do that but I have a lot of sympathy for disliking it when a random person approaches you on the street and makes a crass masturbation joke at your expense. 

Edited by PlatnumRoyce

What's funny is that there's a miniseries edition of The Talented Mr. Ripley premiering on Netflix next month (that went into production before this) and some of the reactions going around to it in relation to this are truly lol worthy.