Eric Prime

Elemental | Disney/Pixar | June 16, 2023 | What if elements have feelings?????? 😱😱😱😱 | Surprise sleeper hit with the biggest 2023 premiere on Disney+

12 minutes ago, AniNate said:

It's not Pixar's fault the movie got sent straight to streaming. I'm pretty sure the consensus now is the blame rests entirely on Chapek for why they got screwed over the last few years.

They didn't get screwed.

They realised that the age of staffing levels and salaries that lead $200m cartoons was about to be over, and they got upset about it.  They could've put it out in cinemas and it still would've tanked.

Edited by AJG
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, AniNate said:

I do think shifting their release schedule to mostly franchises is a realistic move. Ofc hopefully this whole debate is moot when Elemental is a critical and box office hit.

I still think we'll get original films from Pixar but it'll probably be similar to the 2010s where it was an original film every other year. 

The irony is that it was a spin-off film that was a failure for Pixar and not an original film.

Just now, Jonwo said:

I still think we'll get original films from Pixar but it'll probably be similar to the 2010s where it was an original film every other year. 

The irony is that it was a spin-off film that was a failure for Pixar and not an original film.

Yeah I mean, that's why I've been feeling they're in a particularly vulnerable position. It would've been easier to write off their biggest bomb ever as a mulligan if it were another troubled production like The Good Dinosaur, but Lightyear had been intended to be one of those "one for money" efforts, so now they really need Elemental and Elio to deliver to restore faith in their whole MO.

7 minutes ago, AJG said:

They didn't get screwed.

They realised that the age of staffing levels and salaries that lead $200m cartoons was about to be over, and they got upset about it.  They could've put it out in cinemas and it still would've tanked.

Idk if you really know how Pixar budgets works. 

It’s not that those movies costs 200M to make, is that for every movie they keep inventing techs and softwares that while they use in the movie, they also use for other movies, Disney uses in their own movies and even in some of those live actions CGI aspects, they even sell it sometimes to other studios. 

So you see, the 200M is an investment from Disney not only on the movie but also on the technology that will be created for the movie that will be used a lot somewhere. 

I’m sure Pixar can produce a movie for 100-125M, but without the massive technical developments that are very relevant for Disney as a brand and that most studios can’t keep up.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AJG said:

Those most movies cost too much money, and a bloated budget isn't going to help push the boundaries of an animated movie at all. You can get some damn good animation at a significantly smaller budget than what Pixar spends.

Get those movies down to $75m - outsource the work to India. 

but then no one would watch these movies.

I mean I won't say that no one would watch them, but outsourcing should be a last resort, and I imagine Disney shareholders would be just as quick to force out a CEO who proposed completely shutting down their US animation studios as they were Bob Chapek.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AniNate said:

I mean I won't say that no one would watch them, but outsourcing should be a last resort, and I imagine Disney shareholders would be just as quick to force out a CEO who proposed completely shutting down their US animation studios as they were Bob Chapek.

I mean Disney and Pixar cartoons used to make enough money to justify the budgets, and more.

They have to get back to that performance if the gravy train can keep rolling.

24 minutes ago, JWR said:

I feel like Wall-E or Brave numbers would be the best case scenario for this. Maybe Monsters Inc or Ratatouille numbers if word of mouth is REALLY strong.

Brave numbers would be a big win for it. Wouldn't it make it the highest grossing original film post pandemic?

5 hours ago, ringedmortality said:

Brave numbers would be a big win for it. Wouldn't it make it the highest grossing original film post pandemic?

Well sure because "original films" are so rare nowadays.

Zootopia was an "original movie" btw.

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, kayumanggi said:

I know Pixar/Disney have a certain way of styling their posters but every one for this movie seems to be a cut and paste half-assed job.

It's a minor complaint but it kind of makes me laugh, there could have been some really cool abstract art from this.