Eric S'ennui

Elemental | Disney/Pixar | June 16, 2023 | What if elements have feelings?????? 😱😱😱😱 | Surprise sleeper hit with the biggest 2023 premiere on Disney+

WDAS and Pixar are competing with each other who will lose the most money for the studio..

Frozen 3, Toy Story 5 and Incredibles 3 cant get here soon enough..Peter Sohn will probably direct Incredibles 3 since the film is needed ASAP and no patience for Brad Bird this time

They're definitely gonna deal with some impactful consequences here. The Good Dinosaur was easier to brush off because they had Inside Out the same year and also Finding Dory to look forward to the next (though it did still mean they closed down their short lived Vancouver studio). But there was no "troubled production" excuse with this movie and they were propping it up as a legit work of art all the way through to the Cannes screening. 

I see a hold on greenlighting any new originals at least until Elio comes out and maybe going back to only one movie a year for the time being. Doubt Sohn gets another directing opportunity any time soon even if it is a franchise tbh.

WDAS has dabbled in non original story ideas within the last 10 years, Big Hero 6 was based on a Marvel comic book series, Frozen is The Snow Queen and even the original ideas like Encanto and Moana hark back to the Disney films of old.

From Pixar's POV, I doubt they'll be forbidden to do no original films at all but I wonder if the Brain Trust might be more inclined at looking at adaptations. 

13 minutes ago, AniNate said:

They're definitely gonna deal with some impactful consequences here. The Good Dinosaur was easier to brush off because they had Inside Out the same year and also Finding Dory to look forward to the next (though it did still mean they closed down their short lived Vancouver studio). But there was no "troubled production" excuse with this movie and they were propping it up as a legit work of art all the way through to the Cannes screening. 

I see a hold on greenlighting any new originals at least until Elio comes out and maybe going back to only one movie a year for the time being. Doubt Sohn gets another directing opportunity any time soon even if it is a franchise tbh.

I doubt Iger will be ordering them to stop making original films though, budget cuts will be very difficult to achieve if the films for 2025 and 2026 are already in production. 

I know some on here like to see Pixar fail but it'd be a very sad day if the studio ended up like Blue Sky especially considering their history. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I doubt Iger will be ordering them to stop making original films though, budget cuts will be very difficult to achieve if the films for 2025 and 2026 are already in production. 

I know some on here like to see Pixar fail but it'd be a very sad day if the studio ended up like Blue Sky especially considering their history. 

I mean if they’re not at the animation phase yet, just reuse assets and don’t use any new techniques for a while to keep budget down like WDAS or move originals to safer spots like February or late July or even September to build the brand back up. Outsourcing also works with the artists doing story work like writing, storyboarding, character design in the US and doing the CG work overseas for the originals and keeping the other artists for shows and sequels’ animation at Emeryville.

Name one person who wants to see Pixar fail. What’s happening now as a fan is saddening. Just because things are bad, is by no means a want for Pixar to fail. It would be heartbreaking if Pixar fell apart and even with the series of underperformance, I still doubt that Pixar would shutter.

Edited by YM!

20 minutes ago, YM! said:

I mean if they’re not at the animation phase yet, just reuse assets and don’t use any new techniques for a while to keep budget down like WDAS or move originals to safer spots like February or late July or even September to build the brand back up. Outsourcing also works with the artists doing story work like writing, storyboarding, character design in the US and doing the CG work overseas for the originals and keeping the other artists for shows and sequels’ animation at Emeryville.

Outsourcing stills mean loss of jobs within the US, I'm surprised people want that to happen to Pixar and WDAS. 

Perhaps wanting Pixar to fail was a bit hyperbolic but I do think people are being too negative about Pixar's future. 

I think I'm being very realistic about the probable outcome here. Much as I'd hate to see their resources culled, they clearly need some kind of change to their business operations and creative management in order to continuing making movies worthy of their brand at all. If they keep making expensive flops, faith in the brand isn't going to be enough to keep them afloat.

Personally I would prefer they ease up their release schedule and maybe have to do more franchise sequels for awhile over outsourcing their labor. 

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

Ok what the hell with the knock it off reactions I'm getting? First it was because I said the good dinosaur was better than Inside Out and now it's because I say I prefer slowing down the release schedule over layoffs? Hardly bannable offenses and not what the reaction is intended for, especially mind boggling given I thought the people they're coming from knew better. If you have a problem with what I'm saying, come at me with it! 

Edited by AniNate

It’s like Disney forgot how to make good movies. It’s a shame really. They’re getting diminishing returns on Disney remakes, Pixar and MCU except for Guardians cause of Gunn. They have lost their creativity long ago and it’s showing.

Edited by JohnCarterofEarth
  • ...wtf 1

48 minutes ago, JohnCarterofEarth said:

It’s like Disney forgot how to make good movies. It’s a shame really. They’re getting diminishing returns on Disney remakes, Pixar and MCU except for Guardians cause of Gunn. They have lost their creativity long ago and it’s showing.

soul , encanto released in 2021 for marvel wakanda forever released last year nd shang chi , loki, released in 2021 wtf is long ago  1 bad year nd management just calm down ! just one great movie is enough to make a return 

5 hours ago, scytheavatar said:

Movies like this failing is honestly great news cause we should not be rewarding a Zootopia ripoff. If this movie ends up being a big hit it will just encourage Pixar and Disney to be derivative and unoriginal rather than take risks in their storytelling.

I'd love that to be the case if this fails but there is no way Pixar and Disney get that message. It would be more like "We want more sequels and bigger IPs" likely leading to Incredibles 3, Finding Nemo 3 and Toy Story 5 (I know the latter is already announced).

8 minutes ago, CJohn said:

What the hell was Disney doing taking Elemental and Indiana Jones to Cannes knowing they had two duds in their hands!?

The person who didn't know what they had is probably the #1 person to get fired b/c he/she had very poor judgment that will greatly affect both opens...

They haven't seemed to know good from bad over all the recent animated product going by what was released and what wasn't...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, froztking said:

soul , encanto released in 2021 for marvel wakanda forever released last year nd shang chi , loki, released in 2021 wtf is long ago  1 bad year nd management just calm down ! just one great movie is enough to make a return 

Wakanda Forever was meh and most people agree it was a major step down from the first one. Soul was pretty good I’ll give you that, Encanto was alright. Shang Chi was good too but Loki had a bad ending.

• Disbelief 1

2 hours ago, AN9815 said:

I'd love that to be the case if this fails but there is no way Pixar and Disney get that message. It would be more like "We want more sequels and bigger IPs" likely leading to Incredibles 3, Finding Nemo 3 and Toy Story 5 (I know the latter is already announced).

It's a no win situation. Their lesser work shouldn't be rewarded but at the same time I don't want them discouraged from trying more original ideas. I'd still prefer ten Elementals over one Toy Story 5.

The only silver lining is they still have one more chance to turn things around with Elio

2 hours ago, CJohn said:

What the hell was Disney doing taking Elemental and Indiana Jones to Cannes knowing they had two duds in their hands!?

huh? It’s obvious that they had mega confidence in both movies. Even ViewerAnon said months ago Disney was really confident with Indy 5

30 minutes ago, AniNate said:

It's a no win situation. Their lesser work shouldn't be rewarded but at the same time I don't want them discouraged from trying more original ideas. I'd still prefer ten Elementals over one Toy Story 5.

The only silver lining is they still have one more chance to turn things around with Elio

I hope they move Elio to February 9th. It’s the week before Presidents Day. No big animation since Migration and a month before KFP4, and there’s nothing in February (like is anyone expecting Madame Web to do good?), and you wouldn’t have to share marketing attention with Snow White. Pixar simply isn’t big enough to open an original tentpole in competitive months. Open that there and then in 2026 when Elio succeeds assuming Molina cooks you can take back March.

• Like 1